PDA

View Full Version : Formula in Cereal?? Do I REALLY have to??

annasmom
08-02-2007, 06:14 AM
I have always put formula or breast milk in my dc's baby cereal, but just recently when I ran out of formula and had no more freezer stash I began wondering if there comes a point where the added formula/breast milk is no longer necessary.

Since I am now home full time my ds is no longer taking any bottles. I have all but stopped pumping. He eats three meals a day - veggies, fruit, yogurt, some small finger foods, baby cereal. I nurse him 4 times a day, and endlessly throughout the night (fodder for another post!). Oh, and he is 10 months old.

Any input, advice??

egoldber
08-02-2007, 07:32 AM
You can also mix cereal with juice or just plain water. I do pump to use breastmilk for her cereal but mainly because she is very petite and I want her to get all the calories she can. :)

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I stopped doing that pretty early on and just mixed it with fruits or veggies. When he was old enough I mixed it with yogurt. :) It was a time saver as well since I could combine the feeding.

Beth

o_mom
08-02-2007, 07:58 AM
The few times I used baby cereal I just mixed it with water.

LarsMal
08-02-2007, 08:36 AM
DD is EBF, but I don't really have the time or supply to pump for cereal. I tried putting some formula in it, but she wouldn't eat it. I switched to plain water and have been doing that ever since. I figure she's getting all she really needs from her BF feedings, so I don't worry about putting water in the cereal.

juliasmom05
08-02-2007, 09:00 AM
We mixed it with BM or water (mostly water because I did not have a huge stash) and it was fine. You can also mix it with pured fruit or yogurt.

Marci

nfowife
08-02-2007, 01:09 PM
I mix it with water because I don't like pumping. But more often I mix it with fruit or veggies because I need to make them thicker anyways, so it takes care of the iron and the thickening in one shot! When my DD was your son's age, I mixed the cereal with her yogurt each day.

luvsviola
08-02-2007, 01:53 PM
DD is 6 months and I mix with with BM. But, this means more pumping, which means she gets cereal about every third day. She hates it anyway, so I don't feel bad. She'll take peas and green beans over oatmeal any day.

AmyZ
08-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I used formula bec. at Eliana's 9 mo. checkup, she was anemic. If I hadn't known about the anemia, I probaby would have continued to use water or whatever.

Amy Z

Eliana 2/04
Abigail 1/07
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

annasmom
08-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks Ladies!! I have always mixed the cereal with either baby food or yogurt too. It will be nice not to have to buy formula just for cereal - it would go bad before we could finish it!

torontomom
08-02-2007, 10:43 PM
deleted...

DrSally
08-03-2007, 07:30 AM
I worried about this when I couldn't pump enough to mix in his cereal, and the ladies here suggested mixing with a fruit or veggie, which was just fine! He's getting plenty of BM it sounds. For that matter, he prob doesn't really need cereal anyway. I mixed it in with other foods to thicken it and make it easier to eat.

ETA: DS developed his milk allergy when I gave him 2 oz of formula to mix with his cereal at 6 months b/c I didn't have an EBM. I wish I would've just skipped the formula!