PDA

View Full Version : BBB-Swap -- tutorial, please!

BeachBaby
12-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Can someone please give me a quick lesson on how the BBB-Swap on yahoo works?

I have figured out that I send a message to the BBB-Swap owner to post what I want to sell/trade/ISO, etc. Right?

How do I respond to someone that want to buy from/trade with? When I clicked on the "reply" link, it was going to respond to the BBB-Swap owner again. Is this correct?

How do I know when someone has responded to something that I have for sale or trade? Do I get an email or do I need to check the group site?

Is the best way to post photos to link to a Shutterfly/Ofoto album?

Sorry, I'm sure this is really easy and I'm just totally tech-ignorant, but it doesn't seem v. user friendly to me! :)

Thanks!
Megan

toomanystrollers
12-01-2004, 07:48 PM
I'll try to help:

You may find the easiest way to post is to log onto the actual BBB Yahoo website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-Swap/

From there, you'll see a whole menu of options on the left-hand side of your screen. You'll see the "post" option under "Messages".

Once you post an item for sale, any interested parties' responses come back to you through email. Same goes when you respond to someone else's ad. You can also check under "Edit My Membership" on the right-hand side menu and click on "individual emails" - and you'll be sure to get all the action on BBB swap.

As for pictures, Shutterfly is easy and Yahoo offers photo storage as well.

HTH

stillplayswithbarbies
12-02-2004, 11:25 AM
The BBB-Swap is a Yahoo Group. Yahoo Groups can be accessed in two different ways. It's a personal preference as to which you prefer.

1. Like a message board.
If you create a Yahoo id (free and easy to do) you can see all of your Yahoo Groups that you belong to in one place and read the messages to them much like you read this board. The messages stay there so you can read them whenever you want. It doesn't have the nice features this board has, but it serves the purpose. This option is good for groups where there is a lot of traffic and you don't want to clog up your email box

2. Like an email list (sometimes called a "Loop")
To do it this way, you don't have to create a Yahoo id. You just sign up for the group by sending an email to a certain email address and you will start getting the emails. Some email programs allow you to set up rules to direct certain emails to a folder, so some people set up a folder for each group they belong to. You can have your membership set to receive a digest version, which is one email that has a bunch of posts to the group all one after the other. If you do not create a Yahoo id, you will have to ask the group owner to set that for you, I think. This option is good for groups that do not get a lot of traffic, or for groups where you want to know what is going on right away, assuming you sit with your email program open and watch for new emails.

Personally, I prefer to read them at the site like a board rather than in my email box. I just go to http://groups.yahoo.com and can see all of my groups in one place and read the ones I am interested in at that time. One problem with doing it that way is that attachments are not stored on the group, so you won't be able to see any pictures that people attach to their posts.

In order to get around that on a group where I want to see the pictures but is high volume (Naartjie), I created an email account at Yahoo (for free) and use that email address to access that group and I do have the emails come to me directly. That way I don't clog up my email account with all the emails from the group, and I can still see the pictures by logging on and reading the emails to my yahoo id.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

melapin
12-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Thank you for this information. As a father-to-be, trying to prepare for a baby, this is very helpful.