PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous? Too much specific info. about DC on this site?!

duvie
03-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Hi-
I am new so there may be a security check that I am not aware of, but... it seems as though it would be very easy for a pedophile, kidnapper etc. to gather specific information about children on this site. As a test I just scanned some profiles and, in less than 5 minutes, I had the first and last names of 3 children, their birthdates, pictures and towns in which they live. This scares me!
Am I missing something? This site has been so helpful to me and I know that no one would want to put their DC in danger.

Duvie

ellies mom
03-31-2005, 03:17 AM
Wow, good point. Thanks.

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-31-2005, 01:45 PM
...and this comes up every few months and I usually say the same thing so I am sure to bore some...

AND I should add before giving my thoughts I think people should do what they feel comfortable with and thus if they don't post their names, kids names, children's B-day etc I think that a personal choice and think they should do what is best for them.

BUT I am in a lot more fear of a person being in line behind me getting gas...seeing maybe the kind of car I drive, the ring on my finger (and just giving examples here not like mine are anything great)...seeing my children and following me home (subtly) and doing something then I do someone who is lurking these boards. Not to say someone does not have a security issue here at all...but just saying that for me personally an avatar or birthday picture does not reflect my children and their beauty (or whatever would cause some one to steal them) more than seeing them at a local Wal-Mart. I mean someone who sees us in general life can approach me as I strap them into car seats and take me on a lot more than a lurker who might knock on my door one day to cause me harm...

IF I was a "bad guy" and I wanted to do something it sure would be alot easier being "bad" in my own community...following someone tells me where they live and with the internet I can get their name, phone number...I could figure out where they work by following them, when they come home when they leave, if they have a 500 lbs dog etc.. etc... so sharing my first name here, children's name and their birthdate does not scare me anywhere close to how much every day life and the potential out there to do does. Also everyday life people can get my license number which isn't present here either...they can go thru my trash...mail...

People who live in our communities possibly know what you roughly have by cars...looking in windows, jewelry and seeing our children in action.

I also know stats show if something were to happen to our children chances are we know the person- so honestly I should fear my child playing at a neighbors house (they are sure to have access to my name, child's birthday, name etc...) more than even the excurions to Wal Mart/gas station that I describe above.

Again you have to do what is best for you that is for sure just sharing my thoughts on this...

I personally have posted about how I am suprised people share on their profiles where they live and their last names...I think when we signed up we didn't realize that it is out there to share. I don't know if it still asks for last name but am suprised that anyone would share it.

I do think the BBB has the best looking children in the world...but I have to be honest that a "bad guy" can find beautiful children anywhere so I don't know why they'd come knocking on my door from somewhere across the country after lurking here...

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

duvie
03-31-2005, 02:41 PM
Neve-
You make good points... and sorry to repeat this topic- I hadn't seen it before.
My main concern was what you brought up- that people are posting their last names and where they live (and maybe are doing this without thinking of possible consequences).
Duvie