PDA

View Full Version : More on Babywise

maestramommy
05-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi there:

I'm due in October, and reading up on infant care. So far, the only book I've read is the first Babywise book. My sister, (mudder17, mother of beautiful Kaya) has shared 3 links from last year that carried lengthy discussions on Ezzo and this book in general. I had no idea it was so controversial! Just on first reading, it sounded reasonable enough, even said more than once that you have to be flexible. Does anyone have any updated info on Ezzo and this method? I probably read a more updated version of the book because I couldn't see anything too radical out there. That said, of course this is my first child and I know a little less than nothing about baby care, esp. the first year. My sister also mentioned Weissblutth, which she used for sleep training Kaya. The trends I noticed in these discussion are:

1) Don't start sleep training your baby before 16 weeks. It won't work, and it's a headache.
2) Nurse your baby as often as she/he wants to in the very beginning, but no less than every two hours.
3) Letting your baby cry for a while in the very beginning is NOT a good idea.

Does anyone have documented medical info on those points I mentioned?

Thanks!
Maestramommy
due 10-09-05

DebbieJ
05-19-2005, 02:55 PM
You may want to peruse this site: http://www.ezzo.info/

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

mommab
05-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Congrats on your pregnancy - motherhood is the greatest gift!!

I never did Babywise after reading Dr. Sears' "The Baby Book". He's a pediatrician, which Ezzo is not!

Just another viewpoint - hth - good luck!!

Edensmum
05-19-2005, 11:09 PM
I agree, Dr Sears is a great source of info http://www.askdrsears.com/
Ezzo is very likely to sabotage you if you plan ot nurse and even in bonding from what I understand.
I am currently reading a book I really wish I had read before hand about nursing.
"So That's What They're For" Janet Tamoro I believe. It has tons of good info that I could have used when I had my dd.

"Let the Baby Drive" Lu Hannesian is another one i just read and LOVE. I saw her give a talk on parenting and it was awesome so I bought her book. It really helped me relax and find my way/ trust my instincts in parenting.

LLL's website has a list of books, you can usually trust a book is good if they approve/sell it.

Good luck
Eden 9/04

kristinag
05-26-2005, 12:07 PM
I found 2 topics that seem to be the same, so I am posting this again. I am sorry if this violates any sensibility!
-----

I used BabyWise and am currently using BabyWise2. It is the most wonderful thing out there! I didn't find it until my daughter was 4 weeks old - the first day we used it she slept more at night than she ever had. By 2 months(10-ish weeks) old she was sleeping 6 hours at night. Currently my 6 month old is sleeping 11 hours at night, with 3 naps during the day (2 big ones and a catnap).

I know that some very prominent people are totally against any type of feeding and sleeping schedule, but it worked for us. Keep in mind that you are the mom and you get to decide these things.

A couple of suggestions (from myself and several other people I know that have used this method with great success):

1) Don't worry about any type of schedule until your baby is 2-3 weeks old. Feed on demand until then.
2) Do NOT try this when anyone else is staying with you (ie mother, mother-in-law).
3) Write down the schedule that you would like to have, then slowly start moving to it. Start with the first feeding time and go from there. Other people have written down the schedule their baby seems to have as a starting point, and adjusted it as needed.
4) Stick with it! It will take a few weeks to see any benefit but it is so worth it! I know people who have 5 month olds who are not sleeping through the night.
5) This is a *flexible* schedule. Some days your baby will be right on, other days he/she will be totally off. Don't sweat it.
6) Don't forget to have fun!

Feel free to e-mail me if you need any support! My mother-in-law was totally against the schedule thing and I remember how difficult it was. Now she loves it.

Good Luck!
Kristina Grosenbaugh
[email protected]