PDA

View Full Version : Pickle Pant *Further* Update

pritchettzoo
03-09-2005, 03:39 PM
The Pickle Pant lady (Kristen) had server issues, which was why she didn't get my emails. I have her personal email now (which does not go through the server) so we shouldn't have problems contacting her.

To recap the group order details:
Soakers are $20 each plus $1 shipping to me. I'll then charge actual shipping to you. We need to order at least 5 to get the discount. Soakers are regularly $32 plus $2 shipping.

Soaker main page: http://www.thecucumberseed.net/picklepants.htm

Colors at no extra charge: http://www.www.thecucumberseed.net/woolcolors.htm
Hand-dyed colors $1 extra or $3 for rainbow: http://www.www.thecucumberseed.net/handdyedcolors.htm

Before we "lost" her temporarily, there were about 14 people interested. She's said she will send the soakers out in groups of 5 as they are ready, but the longest it should take for the group is 5 weeks.

Here are her responses (I think you can gather the question from the answer :)):
1- Yes, any yarn color is fine and we’re getting so close to shearing I may have more yarn colors available than is online right now. Once you check and see if everyone is interested I’ll check and see how long for other colors as well- but all custom yarn orders are welcomed in the Five For’s

2- If you have 14, I’ll just charge you minus $20, does that sound fair? Meaning $280 (plus shipping)- and I’ll take a $1 off of that last lot for shipping so each shipping charge will come to $5 per Five For except for the last which will be $4 ($1 per pair) Also, I can send out each 5 as they are finished rather than waiting for the entire 14.

3- I don’t’ consider the yarn scratchy but some lots seem less “smooth” than others. Everyone who has used our wool wash (which is Doodlebottoms) says it softens up beautifully. Since this is natural wool it hasn’t been processed as much as the commercial wool you get in the stores. It goes from the sheep to be washed and spun and then to me. So, there have been no lanolin treatments and no conditioning treatments. Some people say that they have soaked it in a conditioner to get it buttery soft. However, others like the thicker, heavier duty of it and use it only for outside so I think it’s also a bit personal taste. I could always send you a sample if you are interested.

4- Yes, I had some personal life issues that are cleared up and I am back on track. It affected some orders in the fall- mostly my tester orders and I sent out apologies and did send everyone’s items to them with a voucher for a free pair of PP’s. I then took a few months off to get my life in order and everything is 120% better right now! I am in the middle of a large order and it looks like I will be 1-2 weeks early in getting it out. I have 2 girls who crochet for me plus myself and if you can get me your color list as soon as possible the longest part is getting the colors in and the hand dyed yarns dyed. So, in answer to your question a 5 week turn around for 14 pairs is a definite time frame that I can meet right now.

If people are still interested in a group order, post here or PM me. If you have any questions I can pass along to Kristen, also post here.

Thanks!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

mudder17
03-09-2005, 03:54 PM
I know it shouldn't matter, but I know a lot of us were interested in the pickle pants before, and then many of us decided on the BJM's when we didn't hear from the pickle pants lady. I really have enough soakers and know I can't justify getting two more, but I could get one more. So for me, it's going to have to be pickle pants or BJM. I don't want to leave people hanging in one or the other, but I certainly would love a pickle pants soaker. What do you all think?

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif
12M checkup: 31", 18.8 lbs, 47 cm head

tarahsolazy
03-09-2005, 03:58 PM
I think I'll get pickle pants, and forgo a BJM, since I'm interested in something that will work for nighttime. I have a pair of pants, a tester, and I think the wool is nice and thick, not super buttery like merino, but it doesn't pill, either. Very sturdy. I better go look at the sizing, I think we need XL...

kthomp
03-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Of course I wouldn't take this personally if anyone decided to get a pickle pants instead of a BJM, that is your choice. But I put a lot of work into setting the group up and e-mailing back and forth with Karen. We need 20 pieces to get the group discount, so if we couldn't get that, more or less all my work would be for nothing.

I guess I could open the group up to the memebers of MDC too if we couldn't get enough pieces.

Please let me know if you decide not to order anything from the BJM co-op so I can plan accordingly.

mudder17
03-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Kerri, I think what I will do is leave my spot of 1 soaker in the BJM group and wait to see how many people we can get. I know we don't quite have 20 right now, but I'd be willing to keep my spot until we know for sure. Perhaps we could open to members of MDC if we couldn't get 20 without them? What do you think?

Tarah, I think I would need an X-large for night time, too! I just measured Kaya in her night diaper and it came out to 22" around the hips!

Anna, when do you need to place the order? Can you give me a couple days to think it over?

Thanks!

Eileen

todzwife
03-09-2005, 05:40 PM
I still want 1 pair... I really like ours- and it is still in good shape. Yes, the wool is scratchier than many, but it doesn't seem to bother Dallin...

I'd want a Large Seaside ;)

pritchettzoo
03-09-2005, 06:07 PM
For the record, I'm not getting anything out of this order or the BJM order. I just tried brought up the BJM order when it seemed like the PP wasn't going to work. I emailed back and forth with Karen and had the prices, etcetera set up but decided I wasn't comfortable ordering from her so I passed it off. I am not getting special pricing from Pickle Pants or anywhere. I wanted a nighttime soaker, so I'll likely order a PP soaker and pay the same price as everyone else (well, I don't have to ship to myself, so I'll save a dollar there).

If there is interest in at least 5 soakers, I'll place the order. I don't have a deadline. Obviously, I'd like a soaker sooner rather than later and the longer it takes to order, the longer it takes to come. If we get a minimum, we can set a "deadline" from there.

ETA: The Pickle Pant group order was not meant to be in competition with any other order. Other than both being called "soakers," there's not much similarity. The PPs are crocheted rather than knitted and are a completely different look and purpose than the BJMs. I can't imagine one replacing another in a stash as I would use them for different times.

Anna

mudder17
03-09-2005, 06:15 PM
What's the difference with being crocheted and knitted? I know they look difference, but how does that affect the function so that they would end up being used differently? Thanks, Anna!

Eileen

kthomp
03-09-2005, 06:28 PM
I just wanted to add that like I said, I do not take this personally at all. If we don't have enough interested with just the members from here, I'll open it up to MDC.

No worries everyone, please get what you'd like. ;)

pritchettzoo
03-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey Kerri--check out this thread at MDC. Maybe you could get together with whomever is organizing it now? If there are over 20 pieces, maybe everyone would get an even larger discount? I *think* the next price drop is at 50, but I could be wrong.
http://69.20.14.30/discussions/showthread.php?t=246977&page=2&pp=20

HTH!

Anna

pritchettzoo
03-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Crocheting makes it slightly bulkier than knitting. With crocheting, you are twisting and catching one piece of yarn with one needle. Crocheted soakers are supposed to be good for nighttime for that reason, or also for heavy wetters.

I don't know how bulky hers are IRL. I think Shandelle is the only one of us who has one, maybe she can describe it better?

Anna

mudder17
03-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Hmm...sounds like the Pickle Pants would be more appropriate for Kaya, since she's such a heavy wetter. I have noticed on occasion that when Kaya wears the one that we already have, she feels slightly clammy on the outside, but I always thought that was because I didn't lanolize it enough.

Anna, I think I do want a Pickle Pants. I'm going to look on their site and see what color I want.

Thanks!

ETA: I think a large will work well for the day (I'll make some measurements tomorrow to make sure) and I'm trying to decide between Thistle and Mountain Laurel.

Eileen

pittsburghgirl
03-09-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm actually going to order one of each, because they are so different. We have a pair of BJM shorts, they are very soft but I wouldn't use them for night. My plan is to use the BJM for hot days this summer over fitteds.

I will probably experiment with the Pickle pants for nighttime, once we actually start trying that, or use them for day as well. They are a completely different "look", the BJM look more like regular clothes IMO. The pickle pants look more like wool.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

tarahsolazy
03-09-2005, 10:33 PM
The PP wool is also very sheep-friendly, and is pretty much unprocessed, other than dyeing and washing. It has all the natural lanolin in it. The BJM soakers are made of superwash, so its a much more processed wool. I also like that the PP are made from wool grown locally near the maker, and the sheep are well-treated!

kensjen
03-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Eileen, the PP are great for nighttime, especially since you have mentioned that Kaya is a super soaker. I don't think you could ever use the BJM soaker for night. Even daytime was a stretch for us, I had to lanolize it big time.

The PP are a bit bulkier, mostly because they are meant to be worn like shorts. So I don't think you could get too many pants over them, without that bunchy, bulky look. They would be too cute in the summer, just to wear as shorts and they are your cover too.

I agree with Tarah, about getting the natural wool, and how the sheep are treated; that is so important. And I love the little card they sent you with your soaker, with a photo of the sheep that your wool came from and its name...it is really cute. Of course we are still unsure about the whole wool situation with BJM...where it comes from, how it is processed, etc. It is not only an ethical thing, it also affects the soaker performance. The pickle pants perform very well, but my BJM soaker needed more "help"...it probably didn't have any natural lanolin left. I also noticed that I really needed to wash it more often (it retained smell more than the other wool I have) and it needed the lanolin.

Again these are just my opinions, but thought it would help a bit with decisions. They definitely are very different soakers, and used for different times.

I was thinking of getting a PP in a pretty color for nighttime, what type of dye does she use? Has anyone had one? I'm just wondering with the way my son soaks a diaper if the color will bleed onto the diaper for awhile? I know kool aid does that, something with the urine I guess. I had a natural one last time. Anyway, happy shopping all!

stillplayswithbarbies
03-10-2005, 10:48 AM
I think I want one of these, but I am concerned about it being scratchy feeling. I hate that itchy wool feel and if that is how these are then I won't like them. For comparison, I hated the Sugarpeas wool cover and I love the Righteous baby wool cover. Which one is this similar to? (other than the fact that those are not knitted/crocheted)

tarahsolazy
03-10-2005, 12:39 PM
They are definately not as soft as a Righteous Baby wool jersey cover. They are slightly scratchy right out of the mailing envelope, but they soften up with wear. I found with my long pants that a few wearings and one wash in liquid WOW wash made them very soft and fluffy. If you want a very soft knitted wool item, look for merino wool, its very soft. It does pill, but the softness is worth it! The BJM soakers are reportedly extremely soft, they are superwashed merino.

kensjen
03-10-2005, 12:45 PM
They are a bit scratchy out of the package, but they really soften up. I washed mine a few times and they softened up. They are also a very tight knit, well they are actually crotcheted, but YKWM. They don't stretch the same as say a wooly pullie, which is a looser, garter stitch.

They are great for overnight, or for a busy toddler, as they hold up to all kinds of play, crawling around, falling, etc. They are good "play clothes", LOL!

HTH!

mudder17
03-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Well, now I know I want a PP, and I may get them in X-large so I have the option of using them at night, especially because they aren't as stretchy as knitted ones. But would X-large just be too enormous for every day wear? Should I just get a large? What do you think, you who are familiar with them?

As for the BJM soakers, the shorts are very very cute, and I'd love Kaya to be able to wear them during the summer as shorts, but if they're not going to be able to handle her super soaker capacity, I may have to pass on them, even though they are VERY cute and very affordably priced. Sigh. I guess I'll mull it over today and try to make a decision by the end of the day. Kerri, it looks like with MDC, you'll definitely get your 20. But I'll be sure to let you know by the deadline people vote on. Thanks for being so patient with me!

Eileen

pritchettzoo
03-10-2005, 01:53 PM
ETA:
On the regular solid dyes they are dyed at the mill and are not Kool Aid- we haven’t had any bleeding problems (actually one mom once had one a year ago but in all of my PP’s that’s the only one I’ve heard of and I made her a new pair) On the ones that I hand dye I do use Kool Aid on some of them, however, I haven’t had any problems with bleeding. I don’t keep my yarn in for the minimum time (after a half hour the dye will be stable on the yarn)- I keep my wool on the heat until there is NO color left in the water and all of it has transferred to the wool. Using this method there should be no bleeding. This can take hours so many people may not take the time to do that. However, a good rule of thumb with all dyed items is to soak it in lukewarm water and gently press the water out to make sure that there is no bleeding before use. I would suggest that to this mom if she is concerned. There are times when the dye will still be in- mostly in the reds. But again, I do keep mine in and then thoroughly rinse mine to ensure no bleeding- most times there is no dye left coming out when I rinse the yarn.

Anna

pritchettzoo
03-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Anna
Juliet
Becca
Shandelle
Marilee
Tarah
Eileen
Karen
Caroline 1, maybe 2
Angie
Jen-maybe

LMK if I've left anyone off.

Does the 15th sound good for a "deadline" if we can get closer to 15 by then?

Anna

mudder17
03-10-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm okay with the 15th as the deadline.

Eileen

stillplayswithbarbies
03-10-2005, 02:53 PM
move me to the yes list and yes I can decide on color by the 15th :)

C99
03-10-2005, 06:15 PM
I still want one -- or 2. To be honest, I liked them a lot more than the BJM soakers and wasn't sure if I was going to get a BJM soaker anyway.

C99
03-10-2005, 06:28 PM
You can add me to the yes list, please.

new_mommy25
03-10-2005, 07:47 PM
You can add me in for one.

todzwife
03-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Can we get costomized rises? I'm afraid the Lg may be too long...

Saartje
03-11-2005, 02:12 AM
I think I might be in for this one, too... I'll let you know for sure by the 15th. ;)

steph2003
03-11-2005, 01:50 PM
ok, I'd like one too since I read that these are better for night time - but I have no idea how to get the sizing right. I have a Benjamuffin night dipe (large) that I would be using underneath. So it sounds like I need to put it on him & measure around his hips? My guess is we'll need a large.

new_mommy25
03-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Yup, defenitely measure your DS with his diaper on :)

mudder17
03-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Steph, I measured Kaya with her large Benjamuffin and I actually got the measurement of 22", which is supposedly an x-large. However, I do have an x-large aristocrat that already fits beautifully over the Benjamuffin, so I decided to just get a large PP so I can use it during the day over her regular diapers. I think if I got an X-large it might be too big to go over her regular diapers. I figure I can just use the 'crat over the Benjamuffins and if I need to wash it, I can use the fleece pockets for a couple of days. I'm also investigating the VB simply nights (thanks Jen!) and it is much trimmer than the Benjamuffin, which means I think it'll go under a large PP. I need to measure her tomorrow to make sure, but I think that I'm going to just get the large PP. (I'm also wondering what happens when she slims down once she starts walking, which is why I'm not going to get the x-large even though right now the measurements show that I should get one to fit over the benjamuffin.)

Uh, I hope I didn't confuse you more, LOL!

Eileen

steph2003
03-12-2005, 08:56 AM
why does this have to be like rocket science?! :)

I got between 22-23" as best I could on a wiggly baby - that was over the Benjamuffin night. I don't plan on using these during the day since we have all of 2 fitted day diapers - I'm just so loyal to my pockets. But I don't like the idea of PUL during our hot NC nights which is why I'm looking for alternates for night. So I guess I should get an X-large although that just seems so strange for my skinny baby! And like you said what happens when he slims down although again how much skinnier can he get?!

Please let me know how you like the Very Baby nights & will you measure Kaya in one - I'm dying to get my hands on some....I joined the mailing list & am anxiously awaiting when they'll take more orders or release the pattern to their retailers.

ETA - I'm also getting a BJM soaker & that sounds like it is for daytime use anyway. So I really need the PP for night, so with that said I should get a X-large, right??? can you tell I'm still confused?

pritchettzoo
03-12-2005, 03:12 PM
If you didn't get one from me, then please PM me your email address. All questions, etc. will be addressed by email.

Thanks!

Anna

pritchettzoo
03-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Please PM me if you're not getting group emails! :)

Anna

ladythepup
03-18-2005, 02:12 PM
i am interested in the COop

How do i do this

Let me know i will PM the coordinator