PDA

View Full Version : DBS update 7-8-05

alandenisefields
07-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Consumer Alert: Discount Bridal Service pulls down web site; future in question?

Discount Bridal Service, the largest gown discounter in America, pulled down its web site this afternoon as questions surfaced about the company’s future. DBS operates both a mail-order service and a retail shop under the name Martin’s in Baltimore, MD

In business since 1983, Discount Bridal Service is recommended in our books, including BRIDAL BARGAINS. DBS has over 500 dealers nationwide. The dealers are independent contractors, who often own other bridal businesses.

The concern about DBS’s future began last week, when the company suddenly announced it would close for the first two weeks of July for “vacation.� Both the mail-order and retail store was closed, the latter posting a sign about remodeling. This announcement was a surprise, as the company has never closed like that.

Details on this situation are sketchy, but here is what we know:

• In the past few days, a representative from DBS sent emails to some dealers saying certain orders for bridesmaids dresses (for July delivery) would not be shipped. However, other orders ARE being shipped from DBS Baltimore service center.

• DBS dealers, whose commission checks were not sent out as scheduled in June, have taken it upon themselves to contact manufacturers directly for July orders. In some cases, they used their own funds to have dresses released for shipment.

• Repeated attempts to reach the owners of Discount Bridal Service have failed.

To sum up, here is the latest: Discount Bridal Service has NOT filed for bankruptcy, as of this writing. The company has notified some brides (we estimate 10-12) that they are not getting their orders. However, other dealers report that the company has shipped other orders in the past few days (dealers can track this via the UPS web site). And while the company is not responding to dealer queries about orders, an automated reply on its email system indicates the office will re-open July 18.

Despite a lack of information from DBS, we decided to go forward this email after the web site went down and dealers received notice that some orders would not be shipping.

Here’s what we are doing to help our readers with this crisis:

1. We have established an emergency message board for brides to post on our site: DBS 911. Share any info you learn about refunds, news and tips for other brides to share. Click here to go the message board:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=set_topic&saz=lock&forum=174&topic_id=1&mesg_id=1&page=

2. We have established an FAQ on this situation on our web site, BridalBargainsBook.com. Click here:

http://www.bridalbargainsbook.com/dbs911.html

3. We are available to talk with you by phone, 303-442-8792 or email us at [email protected]

4. We will communicate the latest news we get via our free email newsletter. Click here to subscribe:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/list/Bridal_Bargains_E%2dNewsletter/

Feel free to distribute these emails to other wedding message boards.

Here is the latest FAQ:

Q. I have ordered a dress and paid by credit card. What should I do?

First, contact your dealer. They may be able to help you get your order, especially if the due date is near. It is possible it has shipped and the dealer can track it.

Second, if you can NOT reach your dealer or you hear your order will not ship, contact your credit card issuer and dispute the charge. It’s possible you might be able to get a refund since the merchant (DBS) may be unable to ship the order.

Q. Help! My wedding is in 3 weeks and I don’t have my dresses!

We have arranged with other discounters to try to help out with these emergency cases. Please email us the following info: the manufacturer of your dress(es), style number, size(s), color(s) and wedding date. Also include your contact info (name, email, phone, cell). We will forward your info to other bridal discounters who will try to help. While there is no guarantees, it is possible your dress order is hanging in a warehouse somewhere and can be shipped ASAP.

Q. I paid by check. What recourse do I have?

Contact your local dealer and find out the refund procedure.

Q. Why didn’t my dealer call me about this?

Unfortunately, there has been little or no communication about this situation from DBS headquarters to the reps in the field. So there is a possibility everyone (dealers and consumers) are learning about this situation for the first time from this email.

Q. I am a manufacturer of bridal apparel. How can I help get brides who are stranded by this situation?

Please email us at [email protected]. We will help match you with the brides who have outstanding orders.

Finally, a quick message to the media: we are available to talk about this situation and give the latest updates to your viewers/readers as we get them.. Please email us at [email protected] or call 303-442-8792.

To sum up: as of this writing, we do not know the exact status of Discount Bridal Service. But the pulling of the web site and reports from dealers have prompted enough concern for us to put out this special consumer warning. We urge all consumers to monitor the situation closely and take appropriate action to protect themselves.