PDA

View Full Version : Feel free to post here; more news coming shortly

alandenisefields
07-10-2005, 06:00 PM
If you are a DBS bride or dealer, feel free to post. We will have updates on the DBS situation shortly.

Alan & Denise
authors, BRIDAL BARGAINS

J Britt
07-10-2005, 07:28 PM
I am not a DBS bride or dealer, but I was planning on becoming a dealer. I saw a flier advertising for new dealers in the box that my sister's bridesmaids dresses came in. I filled out the application and submitted it and was contacted and told it looked great. I was trying to go to the seminar scheduled in Atlanta, Ga for June 18. I was told the deadline to get the money in for the seminar was June 14th. I faxed over my credit card info for the hotel deposit and seminar fee on June 13th. On Wed, June 15th I was contacted by the lady who was supposed to be doing the seminar and she told me that the seminar was going to have to be cancelled because her mother had to have surgery and she had to end up flying out of town to be with her. She said she had to call some others and cancel with them. She said I should be getting a refund but I have not seen a check yet. I emailed her to find out when the seminar was going to be rescheduled and she said it would be late July or early August. Now I am finding out this about their website being shut down. What recourse do I have?
I have already gotten the credit card bill for $400.00 and I never got to go to the seminar or get any of the training materials. If anyone has any info that can help me, please advise. Thanks.

a1kayos
07-10-2005, 07:52 PM
I am a "DBS Bride", as I bought my dress directly from Martins Bridal in Baltimore. They called me the week before they closed for rennovations, to tell me that I had to come and pick up my dress before 5 July. There is no notification on the store front that that have declared bankruptcy. I have also called the leasing company/agent of Martins Bridal and they informed me that Martins has not cancelled their lease with them and they have not been informed of any bankruptcy. The baltimore brides are seriously concerned and worried over this and many will be calling or stopping by the store on the 15th.

alandenisefields
07-10-2005, 09:33 PM
You should contact your credit card company about disputing the charge (getting a refund), since you never got to attend the seminar.

alan & denise
authors

alandenisefields
07-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Glad to hear you got your dress. We did see a few other reports from Baltimore brides that said they got a similar call to pick up merchandise.

Please let other Baltimore brides that we are reporting on this situation. Martins is owned by DBS, so their fate is tied to the main company.

alan & denise
authors

caligirl
07-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi Alan & Denise:

I am a DBS Dealer in CA and my biz was really picking up speed when this happened. They emailed the Dealers to say that they would be closing due to the "slow" season for 2 weeks. Slow? Not the case!

Also, to date I have not received my FALL 2005 programs and that was an immediate red flag -- Not to mention that they have not paid any of us for 2 months now.

I have many open orders pending from various manufactures, I just wish that someone from DBS will take the initiative and communicate something to us....

A big kudos to you Alan & Denise for helping us out here...I just don't understand why YOU had to make the move and not DBS. Do you know the owners by chance and they are allowing you to do this for them?? I am really curious? Just really frustrated with the lack of communication to us Dealers.

I am also concerned with the fact that some dealers have been paying out of their own pocket to get dresses delivered. I simply cannot do that. Does anyone know if a DBS Dealer can be sued?? I am really worried about this...What protection do we have?

Thanks for this opportunity to be heard!

tulleandlights
07-10-2005, 11:59 PM
I am a DBS dealer and plan on calling designers in the morning so see if I can't get dresses that my brides have ordered and paid for. If the designers won't work with me do you have any suggestions?

alandenisefields
07-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks for posting. You are correct---the only communication to dealers was the 2 week vacation notice, which we noted in our news report has never happened before.

No, we have received NO communicaton from the ownes of Discount Bridal Service/Martins, despite repeated attempts. They are not "allowing" us to do this---we decided to go forward after receiving numerous calls/emails from DBS dealers and customers.

As for legal issues, you should consult an attorney. DBS dealers are independent reps for the company that receive a commission on sales. Only your attorney can advise you on liability issues!

Thanks,
Alan & Denise

alandenisefields
07-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Email us directly and we'll see what we can do. It depends on the designer, the dress due date, etc. Our email: [email protected]

Alan & Denise
authors

mjp
07-11-2005, 11:50 AM
I've placed an order with a DBS representative in mid-June for a December wedding, and was notified this weekend of the problems. My credit card has not yet been charged and she did not have it listed on her sales tax form for June, so essentially my gown was not ordered. My dealer will not allow me to cancel it until after the 18th...

I would prefer to move on and get my dress ordered, but I'm not sure of my liability since my order has not technically been placed.

Any advice??

Thanks for your quick response on this issue!

JessieJane3
07-11-2005, 12:08 PM
mjp, I would say it's your right to cancel your order RIGHT NOW if you want, especially because you have not been charged yet and the company is in such confusion right now. You shouldn't have to wait until the 18th; I would hope your rep would understand. Even if DBS does open back up on the 18th, why would you want to continue with a company that has now demonstrated such unstability? That's just my $0.02.

I, too ordered both bridal and bridesmaid gowns through DBS, and thankfully, my representative called me this morning. Here's what I know from my situation:

My bridal gown is pretty much being held hostage. Apparently, DBS has not paid Bonny Bridal for their orders, and now Bonny refuses to ship to DBS. My own dress has been made (was actually scheduled to get to me this week!), but now will not ship. My dealer is working with another bridal shop in Baltimore to see if we can get my dress to her, but I'd have to pay full price. However, I am leery of giving my money directly to my DBS rep. She has always been great, and I believe she is trying to help me, but I'm just nervous about the whole situation. Everything seems so unsure now.

My bridesmaid dresses were ordered from Alfred Angelo, and we have no idea what is up with them. I think I will cancel the order (as it was fairly recent and there's no way the dresses are made yet) and just go through a store or something.

So that's my story.

Caryboberry
07-11-2005, 12:38 PM
My DBS dealer is great and called me with an urgent message over the weekend.

I ordered a Jacqueline Dress in May which has been charged directly to my credit card. My DBS dealer was able to get ahold of the people at Jacqueline who say my dress is in and ready to ship. However, they are waiting until July 18th when DBS is slated to "reopen".

However, Jacqueline has told my Dealer that if DBS doesn't "reopen", they will work with me to get my dress to me.

I guess I feel a little better about it?

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me until July 18th!

Cary

Ideal Bridal
07-11-2005, 04:08 PM
As dealers we had no notification, and I was told on one specific dress not to worry, over and over. It is extrememly upsetting for the unprofessionalism protrayed. I'm sure they have their legal issues for not being upfront, but the ethics are not there. I called to check on this gown everday for three weeks.... while my fiance who has Cancer was in the hospital.... everyone has extreme cicumstances in their personal and business life. I hope the brides can remain level headed and see that none of us expected this... I'm not sure what I will do, I can't afford their gowns, but I'm sure I won't sit back and let it settle in the bankruptcy.

BridalBees
07-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I too am a concerned DBS dealer who would like to see that my customers receive their outstanding orders. Thank you for keeping us informed on what is happening.

I would like to follow up directly with the manufacturers on the status of my orders. I noticed that the manufacturers' websites have e-mail addresses listed for customer service, but not all have phone numbers. What do you recommend is the best way to contact the manufacturers to check on the status of our orders?

caligirl
07-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Bridalbees:

First track your orders via the UPS.com webpage for those orders that have a NOW ETA.

Then call the manufacturers....I just started to leave my messages today...apparenty most are aware of the situation.

If there is no way to get this gown, per manufact..Immediately tell bride to call Credit Card Company for a charge back.

If this is wrong -- someone please correct me here.

That is what I am doing since my orders were all charged via credit card.

Good Luck!

Joani
07-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Hi Everyone:

The only problems that we, as dealers, face with chargebacks is this....Some of us have our own companies. DBS allowed us to process the credit card charges and we, in turn, paid them via check. Now, I have clients whose dresses I've ordered that are going to be coming to me looking for their money and I don't have it. I have passed it along to DBS. I never saw this coming! I thought the two-week vacation notice was rather strange, but heard no word of any bankruptcy until today and they are not returning my emails or calls, either. What a disaster!!

mdb
07-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi,

I am a DBS dealer and I have ordered a dress in Feb. I have already paid DBS by check (which was a mistake) and have charged the bride's credit card through my company. I don't know if they already placed the order. If not, is there a way to get my money back?

Amy T
07-11-2005, 06:19 PM
I am in the same situation as you. I had done quite a bit of research on DBS prior to becoming a dealer. I am in shock by the company's lack of candor pertaining to this situation.

yitlan
07-11-2005, 06:26 PM
I, too, am shocked. OK, you're bankrupt. Shouldn't the dealers be the first to know?

Anyway...dealers, could we all share info from manufacturers? If you've talked to any and have some info, please share. That way we can all check here and be a little more informed when it comes to solving our brides' problems.

Is there any point to sending a credit refund to DBS to try to get refunded? Sounds like there's not.

We're all struggling here, so we should all try to help each other. I talked to Ginger at Dessy today. She easily located my order and it's waiting for payment. So if you have Dessy orders, ask for Ginger.

.............Amylee

Cafe Wed - Tasteful Wedding Finds
An Authorized DBS Rep

caligirl
07-11-2005, 06:37 PM
>I, too, am shocked. OK, you're bankrupt. Shouldn't the
>dealers be the first to know?
>
>Anyway...dealers, could we all share info from manufacturers?
>If you've talked to any and have some info, please share. That
>way we can all check here and be a little more informed when
>it comes to solving our brides' problems.
>
>Is there any point to sending a credit refund to DBS to try to
>get refunded? Sounds like there's not.
>
>We're all struggling here, so we should all try to help each
>other. I talked to Ginger at Dessy today. She easily located
>my order and it's waiting for payment. So if you have Dessy
>orders, ask for Ginger.
>
>.............Amylee
>
>Cafe Wed - Tasteful Wedding Finds
>An Authorized DBS Rep

Amylee:

I agree with you on posting the info us dealers get on manufacturers, should help alot.

So far Jacquelin is holding off on sending any pending orders til after the 18th, when DBS officially files chapter 7

Also, Amylee --- Do you as a dealer have to pay Dessy for these dresses that are ready??

I cannot do that....my brides already paid by credit card and have been charged, got the bill from credit co.

What do you suggest, since I have many dresses from Dessy as well???

My poor kids are being put on the backburner here....this is their summer and this is just an alwful place to be.

Just had to vent....Thanks

caligirl
07-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Does anyone else here have any pending orders with this pronovias based company??

If so, have you had luck getting throught to them?

Christine

caligirl
07-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Does anyone else here have any pending orders with this pronovias based company??

If so, have you had luck getting throught to them?

Christine

yitlan
07-11-2005, 07:13 PM
>Also, Amylee --- Do you as a dealer have to pay Dessy for
>these dresses that are ready??

SOMEONE has to pay for them. I guess it would be best to try to get the customer to pay for them and then they can go through the bankruptcy process to try to get reimbursed. THEY are technically the customer. They made payment to DBS. Well, I guess if you used your charge account, it's a different story. But that is the stance I will try to take. As the customer, they probably have more weight when it comes to filing any claim with DBS.

I know some dealers are using their own funds to get the dresses for their customers, though.

........Amylee

An Authorized DBS Rep

tulleandlights
07-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Many of the numbers are in the back of Field's book Bridal Bargains.

jordanbrowning
07-11-2005, 08:00 PM
HELP!

I am a DBS dealer who was COMPLETELY caught off guard by this news. I currently have 18 orders outstanding with wedding dates from the end of July through Christmas.

To make things even MORE complicated, I will be going into the hospital tomorrow for a labor induction with my first child. As you can imagine, this greatly complicates things since I will be out of commission completely for the next couple of weeks.

If there are any DBS dealers out there who would be interested in helping my customers while I am in the hospital (i.e. fielding phone calls, contacting manufacturers) would you please contact me?? I hate to leave them on their own during this crisis!

-Jordan

Phyllis Limmer
07-11-2005, 08:04 PM
We have new bridal, bridesmaid, flower girl, MOB & prom dresses in stock that we are willing to sell for a fraction of the original wholesale cost. We have regular & plus sizes.
Designers we have stock in:

Mori Lee
Bonny
Impression
Alfred Angelo
Private Label
Bridal Originals
Emme
Jordan
Lady Roi
Avanti
Caterina
Sweet Beginnings
Lady Bug
Bari Jay
Victoria's
Sylvia Ann
and many more

Email - [email protected]
Phone 631 368-6462

JessieJane3
07-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Does anyone have any idea if it would be possible for those of us whose dresses are completed and just sitting somewhere to get the dresses released directly to us? I know manufacturers don't usually (or ever?) deal with brides directly; but perhaps they'd make an exception in this unfortunate situation?

Another question: Why are the prices getting jacked back up to full retail? I understand if another place is getting the dress for you and needs to pay for the extra shipping or something, but really, if all I paid was $560, isn't that all that was owed to the manufacturer? Why does it suddenly cost $200 more? Sorry, just venting, I guess. Argh.

elizabetha
07-11-2005, 09:32 PM
I am a dealer who is actively trying to do anything I can to get the right dresses to brides I do not want to leave stranded. I will not hide behind a curtain the way DBS has. I have a question for other dealers or anyone else who can offer any suggestions.

I am having trouble tracking packages on the UPS site, it just does not register the tracking number as the instructions from the manual show. I am tracking by reference # using the format: dealer # po # SPACE and box number slash total #, and this is just not working, I have even tried slight variations on the supposed format. Has anyone else tracked on UPS before who could shed a little light on this - am I doing it right - or does that mean the shipment has not shipped yet - these are for July "ETAs"

Thank you

TreasuredEndeavors
07-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Jordan,

I will be happy to help as much as I can. Thank God I only had one order outstanding, but church is still out as to how this will be handled. Bari Jay says they have my 10 dresses, but never received the money that was sent in via credit card to DBS on 4-21-05 so obviously they knew even then they were full of "it". I am hoping that the credit card company will refund the money since it is past 60 days and some of them have that rule that a dispute must be done in 60 days and it was actually done with a check card not a credit card. I have a local store who is willing to allow Bari Jay to ship to them but my bride has to pay them. You know something else those people in customer service were something to work with and they only got worst no matter how nice you were to them. I am glad to be done with them for that reason, but can't believe that on 6-27-05 I called to check and asked "is there a reason to believe that my dresses would not arrive by 7-9-05 the final date eta" and Jean said "there is no reason to believe that they will not be on time" three days later we get the vacation notice. They could have warned us better than this. These brides don't deserve this a wedding is stressful enought.

Let me know how I can help you.

Iris Tate
[email protected]

jordanbrowning
07-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Iris,

Thanks so much for your offer! I will definitely keep your email on hand if I need to contact you. My husband has agreed to help contact manufacturers to check on orders for me while I am out and my parents are on their way in town tomorrow and will be able to help as well. This is just not what we planned to be doing the first few days we bring our baby home!!!! Thanks again for your offer and I will definitely be in touch:)

-Jordan

tulleandlights
07-11-2005, 10:38 PM
I was told that they didn't put the dresses in UPS's tracking system. Or the dresses haven't been shipped. Every designer I called today had the dresses I had ordered. The dresses were not at DBS.

tulleandlights
07-11-2005, 10:40 PM
One of the designers I spoke with today would only speak to the bride.

yitlan
07-11-2005, 10:50 PM
>One of the designers I spoke with today would only speak to
>the bride.

Which company was that?

An Authorized DBS Rep

caligirl
07-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah -- Just curious who was the manufacturer please???

caligirl
07-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Please, if you have been in toucn with them -- please post what they are telling DBS Dealers to do....I am having trouble getting thru to them. Messages have been left. So I will try again Tues.

tulleandlights
07-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Demetrios (Ilissa) will only speak with the bride 212.967.5222

I've called Marisa twice, the first time they didn't want to deal with me, today was a different story. 212.944.0022. They said call back tomorrow. Bill Levkoff's # is 914.345.2900, I really had to dig to find that one.

caligirl
07-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Thank you!

LizL
07-12-2005, 02:22 AM
When you go to UPS - track by reference number. Put in your dealer number followed by the PO#, nothing else.
I checked all mine. 2 were already delivered, 4 have something on the way (whether it is what they ordered or not, I don't know), and 4 are getting nothing (two with weddings this month).
L

annmarieconnolly
07-12-2005, 09:42 AM
I just wanted to post something good that has actually come out of this absolute fiasco. I am working with Bridal Affairs by Melinda out of Poughkeepsie, NY. Melinda has been in contact with the manufacturer of my dress, Private Label by G. They have agreed to send the dress directly to Melinda. Melinda is working directly with me and the manufacturer. I am grateful for Melinda for everything she has done and would not ever hesitate to use her in the future and to recommend her. I hope that everyone has a dealer as on top of things and ethical as Melinda.

Kimberly
07-12-2005, 10:03 AM
I also am a DBS dealer and I have gowns also and I cannot afford to pay for these dresses either and I also would like to know if I could get sued for this. I am very concerned and disappointed with DBS's handling of this situation, they made a bad situation for all their dealers. They requested payment in full for these dresses and should have made sure they were ordered, what were they doing with the money? There is no reason that these Brides are not receiving their dresses, I assumed they were paying for the dresses with the orders.
I am extremely disappointed.

KJ
07-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Denise & Alan,

Thank you for contacting us!
And Many Thanks to those who have already posted.
If we all keep checking here to post updated information as we receive it... it will be a blessing to everyone.

I am sending the Federal Trade Commission information to my girls. Here's the link:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/cards.htm

Has anyone spoken with Kim Strauss?

Any information on items already obtained by DBS? Will they be shipping those out or will they be held hostage when the bank comes to lock down takes place?

Any one have any contacts over at Impressions?

Any one know what Bridal Stores DBS used to obtain their limited gowns? I have a girl who has an Alvina Valenta gown on order.

My email is: [email protected]

Thanks again!

Bobbie Stump
07-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Impressions 800-274-3251.

You have to wait for them to call you back. I have called twice. Still no call back.

douped dealer
07-12-2005, 11:17 AM
hey,
dbs dealer here
i was able to get the acct number for martins which is 2986646
pass it along to any reps youve been talking to..
hazel is the manager and patricia is taking calls about this fiasco!
good luck!
love, lisa

elizabetha
07-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the information on the tracking, so far I have called Private Label and Mon Cheri, same thing from both:
" give us the name/number of bride/info on dress, and we we speak to the bride directly." The dresses were in house on both of these.

I trust now at least two of my brides are in good hands. Someone posted about calling and speaking with Ginger from Dessy - could you post that number, I have 2 pending orders from them and I do not see their number in my Bridal Bargains book. I sent an email through their website but it says 7-10 for a response.

This really is truly a crisis....

Everyone please continue to post any information that will help dealers and brides. A HUGE THANKS to Denise and Alan Fields if you are reading this - I know you are hard at work helping - and thanks for not leaving us in the dark and for establishing this message board.

Thanks

Elizabeth

yitlan
07-12-2005, 11:32 AM
>Someone posted about calling and speaking with Ginger from
>Dessy - could you post that number, I have 2 pending orders
>from them and I do not see their number in my Bridal Bargains
>book.

I tried to call today and couldn't even leave a message. Every box is full! So, it might take awhile. But the number is 800-444-8304.

An Authorized DBS Rep

KJ
07-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Dessy #900-444-8304 Ginger X152

But her voicemail is full and they said to send an email

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

kitty622
07-12-2005, 11:44 AM
I ordered my gown from DBS in early May so I had a thread of hope that it was sitting at the manufacturer. Taking matters into my own hands, I disputed the DBS charges with my credit card company. I then got on the Christina Wu website and found the customer service number and called, told them my story and got transferred to the person who is dealing with the problem. (They are going insane as well.) I didn't tell them I was the bride off the bat but then they asked me what the PO# was I said I was not a dealer but that I did have the style number, size, and color. They looked it up and, low and behold, it was there at the manufacturer. She was very nice and felt really bad for me. So, she said she could ship it to me as long as I paid for it over the phone and that's what I did, on the credit card, of course. (I'm guessing these manufacturers probably don't want a ton of unclaimed product laying around.) As long as everything goes as planned, I will have it in a few DAYS (not weeks!). Take my advice when I say-TAKE MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS! The DBS dealers are worried about many things, commissions, their job, and all their brides, it's enough to make their heads swim (for good reason!)...all the brides are worried about are their dresses. So-bottom line-go get your dress ladies and don't take no for an answer!!! In the meantime, go visit some of these sites to see that you CAN get a dress for less than retail without DBS!!!
www.netbride.com
www.bridesave.com
www.pearlsplace.com
www.weddingexpressions.com
www.rkbridal.com

Christine80
07-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey,
I ordered a dress from them through DBS, but I don't have their phone number. Do you have W1's number? Thanks.

Christine80
07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Hey,
I ordered a dress from them through DBS, but I don't have their phone number. Do you have W1's number? Thanks.

Ivy Jane
07-12-2005, 12:10 PM
http://stores.ebay.com/Luna-e-Stella-Bridal

http://stores.ebay.com/imabride2b

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQrdZ0QQsassZdesignerQ 5fbridals

All gowns are in stock except for a stated few. The Maggie Sottero Eleganza is less than what I was quoted from my dealer

kitty622
07-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Christina Wu Telephone number: (239) 277-7099.
That is contact for Tiffany and Jacqueline Bridals as well. Good luck!

Joanne Choy
07-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Below is a compilation of manufacturer contacts that Kim Strauss put together based on other dealers input. Hope this helps other dealers and our brides.

Mori Lee: 877 946-6674
Fax 561-988-0555

PC Mary at 281-933-9678. The Rep. was very understanding. I had to pay for the bridemaids dresses before they would ship but at least I got the dresses

Jasmine 800-634-0224, Mary Lawson -waiting for a return call but was put through to Mary's voice mail

Emme (DaVinci), 888-745-7560, speak with Wendy

Essense of Australia 1-800-941-1550 (Jackie).
They are working with the brides & very nice to work with!

Davinci a division of Emme
1-888-745-7560

Jacquelin I spoke to KIM, (239) 277-7099 & faxed her copies of the invoice
Kim Sealander
800/732-8077 x2126
Wonderful Lady to deal with!!!
Fax 239 277-9863

Demetrios will work with money order for wholesale cost if the brides have their P.O. number, no dealer calls.(212) 967-5222

Alexia Designs - 866-425-3942 - talk with Monica. Will have to pay for the orders again by money order or certified check before they are shipped, but they will get shipped directly to me.

Casablanca 714-758-8888 Waiting for word.

Edward Berger 212-594-0662 Sending to me directly. Won't issue catalogs to dealers at this time to set up your own account.

Alfred Angelo - AA
Not so good. They said they are waiting for "Official" word and have not received it. They won't take info from dealers ONLY brides
1-800-528-3589

Bari Jay 212-391-1555 Susan
Bari Jay was helpful. They will only ship to the DBS rep. You can send the information to them via email at [email protected]. Susan helped me. She took my credit card number and is sending the dresses to me

BILL LEVKOFF
Wonderful to work with!!!
Haley 914-220-5262

Bonny, they told me to call Christie at Stella Bridal's (410-522-7447)...I did and she was

Forever Y - Meredith and Crystal
Forever Yours is now talking to us. We need to pay by credit card for cost plus shipping, and they will release the dresses.
631-951-4500

IMPRESSIONS
Again, waiting for "official" word and won't do anything. Also said my PO don't match any of theirs.
832-947-2000 I have talked with Impression and they will work with you - if you keep asking for the supervisor. Also, you can give them Martins account number and they are much more willing to work with you after you say you have it - don't ask where I got it - the account number is 2986646.

Jordan
Wonderful
Claire
212-921-5560
Jordan (866) 921-5560 Contact: Gina
everything needs to be faxed

Dessy
Wonderful
800-444-8304
Ginger
@152

Private Label by G - 800-858-3338 - speak with Christie - very helpful, will confirm if gowns are there and they will ship directly to you - will charge additional $100 per wedding gown for handling plus shipping.

Venus Bridal (800) 648-3687 Contact: Lisa

Mon Cheri (609) 530-1900 Contact: Barbara

Watters (972) 991-6994

Forever Yours (631) 951-4500

Both Allure and Demetrios told me that the customer
needs to contact them directly as opposed to the
dealer.actually able to help me locate my order with Bonny.

serihn1979
07-12-2005, 03:48 PM
hey i am using melinda in poughkeepsie also. My moms gown for the wedding is not in and she talked to the maker, mori lee, and they are releasing it directly to her but she has to fork over the full amount for the dress. i talked to my mom and we decided that since she has done so much my mom was going to pay her the full amount even though she has tech. paid for it. Just a heads up, we told her today and she couldnt of been happier. Just think about it. Maybe if you could scrap together the extra cash because she has already been put through soooo much and now she's losing even more money. I want everyone to know how much she is doing for us and just everyone to think about how much she is also being inconvieneced by this as well. email me [email protected]

auggie
07-12-2005, 04:11 PM
I had been a calm, cool, collected bride until I read about this. My wedding is in 5 weeks and my Dessy bridesmaid dresses were to come in next week. They were paid for 2 months ago.

I called my dealer today. Turns out she had surgery and today was her first day back to work. I had to be the one to break the news to her.

I'm in panic mode right now. My bridesmaids already have their accessories and shoes to go with their dresses. I guess if I have to I'll reorder them through someone else and have them rush ordered. I have no idea where I'll find the money for that, but it's not fair to make my bridesmaids pay for their dresses twice. Ugh.

yitlan
07-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Yes, auggie, none of this is fair! Most likely your dresses do exist somewhere. Your dealer (or you, if she shouldn't be working right now) should contact Dessy and try to locate your dresses. Yes, if they have them, you'll probably have to pay for them again. But, soon we should all know how to go about filing claims with DBS to get refunded.

Good luck!

Joanne Choy
07-12-2005, 05:43 PM
I am so sorry this has happened to you. Not sure if you saw the contact info on this string but here's the Dessy contact info... Apparently they've been wonderful to deal with. I've dealt with two manufacturers so far and they've been very supportive; I believe both of my brides will have their bridesmaid dresses in time for their weddings.

Dessy
800-444-8304
Ginger
@152

caligirl
07-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Make sure when you call Dessy you give them DBS's P.O. #, only the Dealer would have it.

All the best!

PLimmer
07-13-2005, 08:57 AM
We contacted Marisa and they said that they will release the dress but they are charging an additional penalty to help them make up for their losses. So the $750 wholesale became $1125 !!. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Lparys
07-13-2005, 09:11 AM
The bride I am standing up for contacted the designer directly regarding this situation and we both were under false impressions. At first it seemed as though there was hope for her dress to be sent directly from the store. Then we she contacted them directly they happily offered to send her the same dress....with an additional cost of $200 or so. So not only did she lose the original cost she paid, but now if she wanted to get the same dress, she would pay the original cost PLUS $200! She would basically pay a markup of 70% due to this horrible event! So far, we haven't had any help from the designer.

auggie
07-13-2005, 05:59 PM
What is their approximate turn-around time in getting back with you? Both my dealer and I left messages for Ginger late morning on 7/13. I also emailed Ginger. I know she has a ton of other people contacting her, but I'm so antsy trying to figure out about my dresses. Thanks!

AlBibb
07-13-2005, 06:30 PM
I just called Pronovias (the owner?) of the White One collection. The # is 888-776-6684. I left two messages but couldn't find a real person.

Let us know if you have luck.

Alissa

AlBibb
07-13-2005, 06:45 PM
I too, bought my dress from Martins in Baltimore. I bought the dress in early April. I didn't receive any calls from them. Does anyone know if that means that my dress is more likely to be at the manufactors? Is it worth going to Martins this saturday when it opens and LOOKING for my dress there?

Thanks again to Bridal Bargains for urging me to buy with credit card...hopefully I'll at least be able to get the dress money back.

Alissa

bridesmom
07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
We are in Baltimore and when the news hit tonight, we were all in shock. My daughters both shopped at Martins for their gowns, and checked into the local DBS distributor for pricing. Martins has been around for years - I even shopped there many years ago for my gown. One of my daughters was married a year ago, the other just this April...they ultimately ordered their gowns and their bridesmaid gowns from RK Bridal. One of my daughters actually took a trip to NY to visit their store, but was told by the owner to order her gowns online and save the tax, plus get their internet discount. I have to tell you all that RK is absolutely amazing - they really do beat anyone else's price by 5% if you order online; if you call with questions, you will probably talk to the owner, who is absolutely wonderful to deal with; and we got everything we ordered in record time with no hassles at all...I would recommend them to anyone who has help. The owner told me on several occasions that he has very long-standing relationships with most of the manufacturers and they help him out - he even has computer access into many of their inventory lists. Good luck to all!

bridesmom
07-13-2005, 07:11 PM
We are in Baltimore and when the news hit tonight, we were all in shock. My daughters both shopped at Martins for their gowns, and checked into the local DBS distributor for pricing. Martins has been around for years - I remember when they were a small local shop operating out of a local catering hall. One of my daughters was married a year ago, the other just this April...they ultimately ordered their gowns and their bridesmaid gowns from RK Bridal. One of my daughters actually took a trip to NY to visit their store, but was told by the owner to order her gowns online and save the tax, plus get their internet discount. I have to tell you all that RK is absolutely amazing - they really do beat anyone else's price by 5% if you order online; if you call with questions, you will probably talk to the owner, who is absolutely wonderful to deal with; and we got everything we ordered in record time with no hassles at all...I would recommend them to anyone who has help. The owner told me on several occasions that he has very long-standing relationships with most of the manufacturers and they help him out - he even has computer access into many of their inventory lists. Good luck to all!

Bobbie
07-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Casablanca was willing to work with me today. They were great. They hope to be able to help all of the dealers locate the gowns for the brides.

KJ
07-14-2005, 12:19 AM
RK Bridal website is down.

I need access to an Alvina Valenta Gown, style 9401. Does anyone have any leads as to where I might be able to aquire a gown from this designer?

caligirl
07-14-2005, 12:27 AM
KJ: I just got onto the website -- try again.

caligirl

caligirl

KJ
07-14-2005, 01:08 AM
Got it! Thank you!
Appears that they do not carry Alvina Valenta Gowns.
My bride paid $2000.00 for this gown!!!
Why aren't any of the service reps on here helping us out????
Why is Kim being so tight lipped?
What do they have to lose by sharing information???
It's not like they have anything to lose...They have already lost their jobs too!! Gee Whiz!
If they were planning on dumping this in our lap the least they could have done was to fax us the paperwork on our brides so we would have some type of information to go by!
Sorry, just stressed out. Need to vent...No recourse available.
This just Sucks!

KJ
07-14-2005, 01:41 AM
How many dealers are unaware? Was there anything in any of Kim's emails to tell dealers that this board is here? So that they can at least connect with other dealers, that might possibly have some type of information to assist them?

yitlan
07-14-2005, 08:25 AM
>Why aren't any of the service reps on here helping us out????

>What do they have to lose by sharing information???
>It's not like they have anything to lose...They have already
>lost their jobs too!!

It would be really nice if the service center ladies would help out. They have a LOT of knowledge that could really help some brides out here.

kitty622
07-14-2005, 09:05 AM
The "similar gown" that I received last night was exceptionally disappointing. First of all, it was two sizes too big, not of the same style at all, wrong designer, and was a cheap piece of S*&^! I used DBS in the first place to get a gown that is quality. If I wanted crap, I would've gone to David's Bridal, which probably have a nicer gown than the one that DBS sent to me "of equal or greater value." The fabric on the inside wasn't even lined!! SHAME ON YOU DBS for insulting us like this by going in your dress supply and grabbing the first thing you saw and trying to pass it off as anything remotely close to our gowns! Not only am I emotionally distressed, but now my fiance is too! To top it all off, a big screw you to the sheepish letter included in the boxes. That letter should just have the number for your lawyer!!

JoAnne Schnepp
07-14-2005, 09:43 AM
I am shocked after reading the descriptions from gals who have received packages in the past couple days! It is sounding as if DBS just went through their warehouse pulling returns or 'mistakes' off their racks that were taking up space and randomly tried to closely match them, size wise to what brides actual orders were.

One gal said she got a BM skirt from Watters and Watters that did not even have a hang tag on and the only part in the description similar to her original order was the size...a 10. BUT...we all know that a 10 in Watters is not the same as a 10 in Dessy.

They must have been advised that it helps them be 'off the hook' if they deliver 'something' to the bride. Their letter said the bride was free to try to sell or put on consignment what they received if they didn't want it. Well....DUH.... That is just what a bride needs a few weeks before her wedding....attire she doesn't want to take the place of the order that wasn't delivered...THAT SHE PAID FOR....and then the hassle of how to get rid of it when it won't work for her, but...OH now DBS has fulfilled their obligation to her????!!!

Excuse me. I think we all need to get our reports in to the Maryland Attorney General's office right away, on behalf of us and our brides!!

I have been scammed in another business out of Ohio over the Internet and in that state, the Attorney General's office had a Victims Fund....and as soon as a case was settled, they tried to pay people back what they lost...or at least a portion there of of same. Also, in this other case, the Attorney General was instrumental in getting the FBI involved....and there are only about 30 of us involved in that one!!! We have 500 dealers and thousands of brides.......and we need to get as many of them involved as we can track down. I wish we could come up with a mailing list or email list of dealers to start with. maybe an internet search of websites would help us.

I am sure that many dealers who did not have active customers this past month, or are on vacation etc. may not have a clue, and even those who do, there are probably hundreds who don't know about this site either.

I am sorry mostly for all the brides, especially those with close wedding dates.

BTW, if you didn't see my post under the one from the attorney husband, I did send an email to Bill O'Reilly suggesting this needed national attention and investigation.

JoAnne

Christine in NC
07-14-2005, 10:54 AM
I had ordered Marisa 546, which retails at $1450:

http://www.marisabridals.com/details.mv?series=13&style=546

They sent Pallas Athena A0176 (the tag sayd 9836), by Venus Bridals. I don't know the retail price, but The Knot lists it in the "$600 and under" range:

http://www.venusbridal.com/cgi-bin/description.asp?dress=A0176

It looks like they put some effort into finding something that looked similar. Both gowns are strapless A-line with chapel train, no beading at all, some fabric embellisment on the bodice, buttons all the way down the back. Although Venus calls the fabric "mikado," the tag reads "100% polyester." Marisa gowns are all silk.

I'm happy that I've at least got something. Most companies in this situation would not have sent anything. If I can't get the gown I wanted, I'll just wear the one they sent. I'm not going to let this fiasco ruin my day!

Hang in there girls!
Christine

auggie
07-14-2005, 11:28 AM
This morning my dealer heard from Dessy. My order, sent to DBS in April, was never placed and Dessy told her they no longer carry that dress in the color I ordered. The good news is my dealer is refunding my money. The bad news is that money is coming from her own pocket! My dealer is also a seamstress so we're going to see if she has time to make my bridesmaid dresses. Considering how much money she must be using to repay other brides, the least we can do is give her some business.

auggie
07-14-2005, 11:29 AM
This morning my dealer heard from Dessy. My order, sent to DBS in April, was never placed and Dessy told her they no longer carry that dress in the color I ordered. The good news is my dealer is refunding my money. The bad news is that money is coming from her own pocket! My dealer is also a seamstress so we're going to see if she has time to make my bridesmaid dresses. Considering how much money she must be using to repay other brides, the least we can do is give her some business.

Caryboberry
07-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Christine...I think you have such an awesome attitude.

I got my "comparable" today, and the truth is...it isn't even comparable.

It is the wrong color altogether and has purple beading. That will go really nicely with my girls' expresso colored bm dresses.

I am going to keep my head up and try to take matters into my own hands....I hope it works out for you.

Cary
cjc at hotmail dot com

Michelle A. Goad
07-14-2005, 02:59 PM
>Ginger has been very quick to get back with me and in just 2 days she's offering to ship tomorrow, but the only snag is my bride has to pay for the dresses again and she doesn't want to do that - I can't blame her - she wants her money from DBS. It's a shame that her order was placed in April and the dresses were due to ship 7/2 - 7/16 and look what happened! DBS should refund her $ immediately! My bride's wedding is on 7/30 - what timing!

Michelle A. Goad
07-14-2005, 03:00 PM
>Ginger has been very quick to get back with me and in just 2 days she's offering to ship tomorrow, but the only snag is my bride has to pay for the dresses again and she doesn't want to do that - I can't blame her - she wants her money from DBS. It's a shame that her order was placed in April and the dresses were due to ship 7/2 - 7/16 and look what happened! DBS should refund her $ immediately! My bride's wedding is on 7/30 - what timing!

Bridesmom
07-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Email RK with questions. The owner, Reed, is very good about getting back quickly: [email protected]. Call him at phone number 800-929-9512 to request prices. From what I've heard, he's been so swamped he only wants to talk to brides at the moment, not dealers.

kitty622
07-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I will definitely do everything in my power to be by your side when you want to go to the attorney general in Maryland. Just let me know: [email protected]

Christine80
07-14-2005, 04:50 PM
That's great news for you! Unfortunately for me, mine is completely the opposite of the one I ordered. It's white, mine was ivory w/ mocha trim. It has sleeves (long sleeves) and mine is strapless. It is a shealth, mine is an A-line. It is also loosing it's beading and has a snag in the skirt. Definitely damaged goods. I am so emotionally tired.

Christine80
07-14-2005, 04:50 PM
That's great news for you! Unfortunately for me, mine is completely the opposite of the one I ordered. It's white, mine was ivory w/ mocha trim. It has sleeves (long sleeves) and mine is strapless. It is a shealth, mine is an A-line. It is also loosing it's beading and has a snag in the skirt. Definitely damaged goods. I am so emotionally tired.

Amy T
07-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Kim did provide the link in her email. Not sure if any of you have seen the message informing us of the Yahoo Group that's been started for DBS dealers.

audley7575
07-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Anyone know what the exact definition of "surcharge" is? I thought I knew what it meant but decided to look it up. Webster's New World Dictionary defines surcharge as 1)"to overcharge" 2)"to overload, overburden...". I would ask Marissa and other manufacturers who are adding a surcharge: what is it that makes you feel justified to knowingly and intentionally overburden a bride at what should be the happiest time of her life? I ask this not out of a sense of malice or hatefulness, but of curiosity and a desire to try to make some sense of it all. I truly hope to hear from you all.

A note to you brides: I will be praying that you all find that perfect gown and that this experience does not make you hardened or cynical to life. Remember, what does not kill you WILL make you stronger. And also try to remember that your gown, although an important part of your ceremony, is just that, a gown. The important thing to remember is that you are marrying the man, not the gown. Be strong, make your parents, your fiance' and those precious friends you have chosen to stand with you, proud that you are able to move on with the rest of your wedding and your life together with dignity and class. Once your wedding is over, the marriage begins...that's the important part...the marriage.

bridesweb
07-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Call the credit card company and dispute the charge. They will credit your account and resolve the issue for you. Keep your documentation. Consumers always win!

impressed
07-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Christine in nc that is a wonderful attitude you have. I am so glad to see someone able to come through it without it ruining their big day.

Real bridal shop owner
07-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Mr. Fields,

I must reply on this site and hopefuly set somethings straight. My wife and I have been a "mom & pop" bridal retailer for 17 years. We have 2 simple rules - "Treat your customers as you would like to be treated" and "Take care of your customer TODAY or somebody else will tommorow". By living by those two simple rules, we have had a successful business. We are not the Trumps but we are living the american dream - Working hard and owning our own business.

We got into the business because we ourselves got married. Both myself and my wife came from different jobs but we thought that there had to be a better way of planning a wedding. It wasnt just the prices but the overall planning of the wedding. So we decided that we would venture into the bridal busines, using our experieces from our previous jobs and adding that into our new store but with more. Shops in our area didnt offer the services that we do now - Gowns,shoes, jewelry, invitations, alterations, favors, all wedding accessories, tuxedos - everthing needed for the wedding. The main thing we give every customer is personall servive. We know every bride's first name. We treat them like family. We feel that's our formula for success.
We also can find our brides travel agents, florist, entertainment, resturaunts, limos, jewelers, hair stylist, even doves & buterflies. And we have been doing this for 17 years. Now we dont carry every bridal gown or designer and not ever bride buys their gown from us, but we treat every bride the same. Even today, we are trying to help every bride who has bought through DBS. Now we can not match the DBS price, but we try to do the very best for them. To make 10 or 25 dollars a gown is is why Martins is closed today.

As far as the bridal indusry goes, to be an authorized retailer, we have buy samples from each designer, 2 times a year. We carry over 50 different lines from bridal, BM, FG MOB. With each desinger you have to purchase about 12 bridal gowns, twice a year along with BM, FG, MOB etc. So as an average, we spend anywhere from $3000.00 to $10,000.00 per designer - twice a year for the new styles or season. Do the math. No add in all the other itmes needed - shoes jewelry, veils, headpiece, slips, bras, etc. Then you have to pay rent, taxes, utilies, advertising, payroll (if you a busy enough to afford employess), insurance, etc. But we knew this going into business. I even thought of being a DBS dealer, but after reading into them, I was concerned that I would not have direct contact with the deisgners. Meaning I was solely depending on DBS/Martins, which scared me. So we started with a couple of bridal lines, then added some more lines and went from there. It was a struggle at the beginning but we are still here, thank God after 17 years. Even today, we still worry about every gown order. Just last month, Bridal Originals, after 58 years in the business, decided to close. But the difference was that they sent us a letter on 6/14/2005,informing us that they would not be accepting anymore new orders after 6/24/2005 and that all orders would be completed by 9/15/2005. That's the way to do it. We will miss this compnay and we applaud them on how they are handling a very sad situation for the owners of this US bridal designer.

So Martin's comes up with this buiness plan and on paper it sounds great. "If Avon can do it , why not us". But in the bridal industry, "trans-shipping"- one authorized dealer selling to an unauthorized seller - is prohibited by just about all designers. This rule was in place BEFORE DBS was born. Martins new this but did it anyway. As far as the designers go, many knew what Martin's was doing and did nothing to stop them. I aggree, the designers are partially to blame for DBS beginning. They saw extra sales coming in and turned a blind eye to it. Some designers like Bridal Originals, stop doing buiness with Martiin's in 1997 because of DBS. But then internet came along. This was a way for FSBS to combat against DBS. Offer discounts on gowns that they WERE authorized to sell. No middleman. Now the designers have two problems - DBS and the internet. Over the past 5 years, designers have been pulling lines from Martins with the latest being Alfred Angelo and Maggie Sottero. Two major bridal designers that they can no longer offer to their DBS dealers. That hurt them. They are DBS dealers who have struck a busniess agreements with FSBS to buy some designers from them. The way this worked was the bridal shop, authorized dealers would sell the gowns to the DBS dealers, adding 15-20% onto the wholesale price plus the shipping. Sometimes this was a better deal that what DBS offered. But again, the DBS dealers were relying on a middleman and not directly working with the deigners. Many bridal shops closed and again left these DBS dealers out in the cold. Now the designers are prohibting prices of gowns on the internet and the sales of gown on the internet. Many designers are now instituting MSRP - Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price- Just like Sony does for their PS2. And we the retailers have no other choice to abid by these rules or lose this designer.

So now we have the problem today. Martin's Bridal closes, closing its retail stores and DBS, leaving all DSB dealers left to handle brides and their orders. And you have the people here, Mr. & Mrs. Fields, blaming the full service bridal shops and the deisgners. Let me tell you something Mr. Fields, and I am sure that just about every bridal shop owner in the U.S. will agree with me when I say - We feel for every bride today who is having a problem receiving their gowns. We hope that EVERY bride receives their gown that they choose and paid for in time for their wedding. But for Mr. Fields to demand that FSBS offer gowns at cost is ridiculus! Mr. Fields, are you selling your books at cost? Are you making a profit on your books? Of course you are. You sell your bridal book for $14.95. Seems fair. But do you tell your customers when they order your bridal book that your wholesale cost of $7.98! Of course not. You are in business to make a profit, just like us and the DBS dealers. We also feel bad for the DBS dealers who now have to pay the desingers AGAIN for the order so that their customers can receive their gowns. How is this fair to these people? It's not. And we feel for them because we as FSBS could be in the same situation if a designer decides to close down with no notice like Martin's.

So in closing, we hope every bride receives the gown of their dreams. Contact your DBS dealer, who I know will do everything humanly possible to help you. If they cant help you, please know that many FS Bridal Shops will help you the very best they can.

As far as Mr. Fields, I hope you change your attitude towards the FSBS as we are not the enemy. You attacks against us is unethical may maybe illegal. I noticed that you changed you posts regarding all the designers. You have done a diservice to all involved causing fear and panic when its not needed. Granted, many DBS dealers and DBS customers had no idea on what was going on and your post informed them but to say "Dont give the bridal shops the biz" is wrong!Plain and simple and it may come back to bite you!!

Again to all brides, we wish you all years of happiness and hope that you get to wear the gown of your dreams and please know that we the retail bridal shops are professionals and are willing a ready to help you on one of the most important day of your lives!

A U.S. full service bridal shop owner

fussenk
07-17-2005, 11:16 AM
I am in the same boat. Kim told me the best way to get our training seminar money back was to dispute the charge. The bank told me I would have to claim it was stolen and basically perjure myself before they would give me my money back. I don't understand how they could accept new dealers a month before the filed bankruptcy.

IdealBridal
07-18-2005, 04:55 PM
I have a buyer for bridal gowns from 18-22 for some of the brides who got comparable gowns. It might help get some money in your pocket.

As a former DBS dealer, I also do consignments so if anyone in Ohio would like to sell their dresses I will try to help.

LizL
07-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Who buys 18-22 gowns? I had a bride today receive a size 22 she can't use (wanted an 18 with a full skirt, cathedral train, Queen Anne neckline, short sleeves - got a size 22 sheath, long sleeves and no Queen Anne). She wants to sell.

RIJMRB
07-18-2005, 11:32 PM
I ordered my maid of honor's dress back in April. My dealer was given confirmation that it would arrive by July 16th- just 7 days before my wedding. Well, on July 8th, she called to tell me that she had a received an email telling her that they would be unable to fill my order and to make other arrangements!!! Luckily, we were able to find another gown but to have to be stressed about that on top of everything else that's going on and all the running around we were forced to do to find a replacement dress......I would've just ordered her gown from a bridal shop and paid those extra dollars if I had known this is how things were going to turn out!

IdealBridal
07-19-2005, 12:02 PM
I have a few brides in that range not too picky... could you e-mail a picture...

[email protected]