PDA

View Full Version : DBS dealers need to send something to Sandy and Lenny

Amy T
07-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi Heather!

I would very much like to be involved in a letter to Sandy and Lenny. I am a new dealer that hasn't official opened doors to business. Seeing how things have panned-out, I'm thankful that I haven't put too much money upfront.

Please let me know how you plan to coordinate this letter.

Additionally, I have a GREAT business plan and URL for my business. I would be interested in teaming with other dealers to go our own route. I think there's a huge potential for us. With the right business plan, solid growth and marketing mix, we can be bigger and better than DBS.

Best,
Amy Trenary
thegownshop.com

douped dealer
07-12-2005, 05:48 PM
i sent you an email, see if you got it!
love, lisa
[email protected]

elizabetha
07-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Heather,

I agree 100% that when this initial shock has settled we should do something as a group. I live in MD and I have even had thoughts of protesting in front of their house - if I were a large group of protesters and knew where they live............................... I will be in touch soon.

Elizabeth

Amy T
07-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Oh...and my email address is: [email protected]

Davinajames
07-12-2005, 06:50 PM
I agree that we should all get together and try to create a bigger and better DBS. I was only a dealer since November and thankfully my last bride just got her dresses on Friday and I did not have any other orders pending. But there is still a need out there for businesses like DBS.

Davina James
[email protected]

bridesunlimited
07-12-2005, 07:00 PM
All those are good ideas and like you, my business partner and I are outraged by what has happened. Their lack of professionalism and ethics are unnerving. We began not too long ago as a side business, but had big plans to expand. We were doing very, very well. We were just getting ready to place two more orders for a total of 10 dresses. In that sense, we should consider ourselves lucky. But we still have 5 dresses pending, some of which were placed as recently as early June. DBS had the nerve to cash four of the checks we submitted on June 14!!! That's just plain wrong!!

We are with you, protest, write something but I would even go further...lawsuit!! It probably won't go to far because of the Chapter 7 protection, but I am sure there is something that can be done.

I always thought I could do better than they could anyway, with their outdated website, tacky marketing collateral, and antiquated ordering system. You can count on me to create something bigger and better. I am all for it and have what it takes to be successful!!

douped dealer
07-12-2005, 07:42 PM
i'm in also...you name it, i have other successful businesses
lets do it
[email protected]

caligirl
07-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Hi:

I am a former DBS Dealer myself, and yes, this whole thing was handled very poorly. But...I wonder if maybe there is an illness in the family, and things got out of control?

You have to think about it...They worked way to long and hard to come this far for this to happen. Just a thought.

But, I want my commission too!

P Limmer
07-13-2005, 03:08 AM
We have already sent out our own letter, but you can count us in on anything that can be done collectively.
We have contacted our attorney and we are leaving it up to them to see if anything can be done. We are a full service bridal shop & deal directly with most of our brides. We made the mistake of paying for our orders by debit card and DBS continued to process our orders & charge our card thousands of dollars between 6/15 & 6/30. We are out over $18,000.00. But, the good part is that most of our brides do not know their gowns were ordered through DBS and we are just quietly going about paying the designers to get the dresses or just replacing orders. All our brides will get their orders and they will never know there was a problem. Somehow, we never trusted DBS completely. Started to get a bad feeling a few months ago when the Service Center said "the dresses will be released by the designer next week". The only reason a designer holds an order is when they are owed money.

The only positive thing about this whole mess is that we won't have to deal with a certain snippy DBS service center employee anymore.

We could write a book on the problems we had. One of the last emails we received from the service center was in response to a request to place an order 2 weeks short of the 30 weeks required, the response was absolutely not "we have to follow the rules around here". I wonder which rule stated take money for orders they knew they would never fill & then say sorry we're bankrupt

Hurt Dealer
07-13-2005, 06:44 AM
I have been a dealer for 13 years. As dealers, I believe that we should get together and place a class act against DBS (if possible). I have contacted an attorney. I am not abandoning my brides, they are truely my valued customers. I am paying out of pocket to salvage my name and reputation in both the business and personal community.
I am so happy not to be dealing with the Center anymore. I always felt that they didn't apprieciate us dealers and that I was butt kissing. Didn't they realize we dealers were selling ourselves, in turn paying their salaries. I thought Kim was also a bit mean. She said recently said to me (before the claims of bankruptcy) that she was on the same boat as me, but I believed she was trying to push me off the boat, just as Sandy and Lenny did. I was also told that Kim was third in command when Sandy and Lenny weren't around. She disclaim this statement.
When this is over, I will have spent approx. $20,000 out of our savings. If Sandy and Lenny would have stop vacationing so much and eating out all the time, prehaps we all won't be in this situation.
I sure hope they are not having a good time with our money.

P Limmer
07-13-2005, 07:49 AM
If there are truly over 500 dealers, I hope we can get more of them to join us, I haveyet to hear anyone praising DBS, the administration or the Service Center. Now I know why we were never given names of other dealers, had we all compared notes prior to this, DBS would have had a mutiny on their hands. I had often thought of trying to track down other dealers to talk about their experiences in comparison to ours, but just never had the time.
Anyone else ever had an order duplicated & double charged to them?

Phyllis

[email protected]
631 368-6462

Owed Damages
07-13-2005, 08:07 AM
I think it was the Service Center that drove the place under. It was run like a 1975 federal agency -- carbon copies, 3-ring binders, arbitrary rules, and all the admin support and expense it takes to support such a backwards way of doing business. In retrospect, it also seems there was something fishy about the way DBS was doing business, and that Dealers might have been lied to regarding DBS' relationships with manufacturers. For example, what was with those "verbal-only quotes"? If Dealers were intentionally deceived, I call that fraud.

Jbride
07-13-2005, 08:13 AM
I thought as a DBS dealer it was against your contract with them to work with manufacturers directly? Hm... Maybe the problems you had with them were because of your sneaky ways??? who knows. I guess its just me, but I WOULDNT TRUST YOU.

Jbride
07-13-2005, 09:08 AM
How can you say that! The Service Center was always available for the dealers. There were certain cases where their hands were tied and nothing could be done. If you couldnt have handled the paperwork, I am sure there were other "work at home" jobs you could have looked into.

Owed Damages
07-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Well, because of all that paperwork, we all have to look for other jobs, so I guess that choice was made for me. The Service Center was always there to help -- as long as you were willing to wait 72 hours for a snide email response from a shared AOL account. Face it, the Service Center was a model for inefficiency. A machine could have done 90% of the Service Center's job -- order entry, order tracking, status updates, pricing changes, etc. -- at 1/10th the cost.

caligirl
07-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Owed Damages:

I completely agree with you 100% that Service Center was the "pits", I cannot believe how out dated things were....that should have been a red flag for me as well.

I can definately agree with the general attitude being "SNIPPY", esp. when asking for help. Once I paid the money to become a Dealer...it began. Again, another red flag.

There was one very nice person in the Service Center, then there was one who always sounded depressed, then there was the "witch from hell", I too always felt I was kissing butt, and I hated that feeling.

Then I started to email some questions in, to avoid the "attitude" and my responses were all in "CAPS". How rude is that!

I really hope the owners, have a very sound reason for this mess!

Jbride
07-13-2005, 10:19 AM
The Service Center sent all the information necessary for dealers to run their OWN business. The Service Center was a support staff for them. And quit honestly, anyone could have done what the dealers do... Look at all the internet sites, who needs a dealer anyway.

EBdealer
07-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Amy:

Like you I too became a dealer a couple of months ago. It's messed up to think I signed up & gave money to a company that was at the same time filing for bankruptcy. In essence, they robbed me.

I have friends that are getting married next year and I was excited at the thought of helping them save money on their gowns/dresses.

The way the dealers were left to hang with no fore warning or anything is really bad. If it wasn't for Denise & Alan (informing us all by email), we may still not have known till next week.

And let's not forget these lines in the letter by DBS: "We have attempted to fill all orders in house for bridal gowns with the correct size, color and comparable value from our inventory. We know some brides will be receiving gowns they may not choose to wear but we are trying to make an attempt to diminish their losses." What! The gown is the most important item the bride will be wearing! I pray the brides get their dresses without being taken advantage of. I can't imagine the emotional stress they're under. How could DBS be taking orders for the past couple of months knowing these brides may not get their dresses. If DBS had not taken these orders for the past couple of months, then (at the very least) those brides would have NO losses to be dimished! Horrible!

EB dealer

poff2710
07-13-2005, 11:02 AM
I agree that something needs to be done. I have 1 bride who can't even reorder her gown. It's no longer available. What are we supposed to do about filing for refunds, wait for something from DBS or send something in now? I've asked this ? but get no answers.

SuziScott
07-13-2005, 12:02 PM
I was a DBS dealer for 2 years. I recently sold my dealership because my 3 year old son was diagnosed with cancer and the treatment was like a job in itself. Anyway, the poor girl who bought my dealership has to start off this way. Luckily she had not paid for her training yet. Anyway, I feel lucky that I only had one girl who ordered from me in May. Her gown is sitting with the manufacturer ready to ship, but I do not have $390 to buy it for her. I feel awful about it. However, I know this is nothing compared to what other dealers have been stuck with. I agree that the service center was way outdated with all of the forms that had to be filled out and the commissions seemed small for all of the work and paperwork. I never really had any problems with them, but I can't believe that a company that focused so much on trying to help brides would do something so horrible.
Suzi Scott

Owed Damages
07-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Most of us Dealers have spent enough time looking at the Internet to understand how insane it is to be running a business with that much paper in 2005. All we needed to run our businesses was a decent pricing, order entry and tracking tool, but instead, we got giant stacks of multi-color paper complete with inspirational poems, and tons of attitude when we tried to working within DBS' antiquated processes. Gee, thanks. There are probably some federal agencies just an hour south of Baltimore that still appreciate the fine arts of photocopying, stapling and coalating. Just a little employment tip for the ex-DBSers. Good luck to you.

EBdealer
07-13-2005, 01:29 PM
I agree Owed Damages...

I thought it strange that they mailed us a few pages of info every month. That alone must have cost them alot if there were 500 dealers. Wouldn't a pdf or doc file been cheaper? Or better yet a tracking tool.

Over the 20+ years, they needed to learn how to use computers. It would have been more cost efficient to have a database of all the information for the dealers to look at when they logged into the system and even download info when necessary. The idea of getting a piece of paper in the mail with a price change, then fiddling through a binder to locate the item, then manually changing the price was time consuming and archaic. A database is more efficient, making updates & tracking easier. It also minimizes errors in changes & updates do to misplaced papers or lost emails. I tried to keep track of emails with changes, but it's insane.

EBdealer

DBScustomerservice
07-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I would also like to thank everyone for posting on the message boards, the information is extremely interesting. This isn't directed at everyone, only those few I see here who seem to be enjoying this opportunity to bash and name call and throw blame. I just want to say that working with this company for 8 years, I have learned a tremendous amount about people. Let me start by saying that everything being said about Sandy and Lenny is utter nonsense!! They have been an incredible staple in the marketplace for longer than most! They have worked harder than any two people in this business and they should be proud! And HOW DARE YOU diminish their accomplishments. Prove to me that they were not there for you when you needed them, prove to me that when you as a dealer needed something answered, one of them wasn't available for you. Prove to me that any other year, when they were struggling, you didn't get your commission check or a prize or a trip. They have cleaned up "messes" of the dealers for YEARS! Your duplicate orders that they paid for that are sitting here collecting dust, wrong colors, wrong size, you name it, the dealers have done it. And you know what, they had to pay to get your mistakes corrected 90% of the time... why... because the brides ALWAYS came first, and still do. This shows to me that some of you dealers know absolutely nothing about Sandy and Lenny and yet you have the NERVE to talk about them. What do you think they are up against, do you think they wanted this to happen? These things are never planned, they are unfortunate events. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING! Did anything terrible ever happen to you that didn't cause harm to others that you wish and prayed hadn't happened. To think that I have been working closely with all these dealers who are posting all this crap, I am appalled and insulted by your comments. I cant believe those dealers who are so unappreciative. There are so many dealers and yet, I see only a few disgruntled ones. I am proud to be a part of Discount Bridal Service and I will always be proud of the way we handled our business. We have NEVER been dishonest or sneaky and handled everything that came our way with the thought in our minds, "how can we help"! I will leave this job, searching for another knowing that I have learned more here than I could ever have expected! The memories from the great dealers and the greatful brides who have saved so much on their gowns will always remain dear to my heart. There are some dealers who are probably at this moment spending their time being active in helping their customers and not all their time here rallying a smear campaign.

We have always felt like an extended family, how could you make it personal and attack us personally. If you thought we were so terrible and sneaky and snippy and incompetent and backwards and all the other hurtful things that have been said then youre not as smart as you thought you were, you stayed around. Must have been something in it for you, what was in it for you?

This was a surprise to all of us and everyone involved is going to be hurt, but name calling and trash talk doesn't make it any better. One way or another everyone will get their dresses and have beautiful weddings. However, that leaves some of us without jobs, not just the dealers but everyone who worked with Discount Bridal Service and its affiliates.

Thanks DBS for the knowledge that I will take with me forever!

Ideal Bridal
07-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Please count me in on any action.... I've been through bankruptcy with my family, I know the rights of the one filing... but to attempt to take orders and take money knowingly was wrong. Business Vs. Ethics is always a conflict. I have been tracking a dress since May from Maggie, and should've known something was going on. I'm sure my tearful bride would have started looking immediately if I just said sorry we can't get it. Instead we played a game of bait and switch... it will be mailed the 18th, the 9th... and I have an e-mail saying it will be overnighted on July 14th. I doubt that....

Jennifer Leister
740-374-8455
[email protected]

heatherdelacruz
07-13-2005, 02:05 PM
I don't agree with your comments because I haven't seen the proof for myself. It may very well be that Sandy and Lenny are good people. I truly want to believe that. But I have never spoken to them. They have never been available to me. And right now when we need them most they aren't available to any of us. If there was an unforseen illness or something devastating I would like to know. I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but their silence makes them look very guilty. I would love to hear about what has made this happen. I would love some answers. I think each and every one of us are entitled to them. We worked hard for them too. We put our money and our names out there too and brought in business for DBS. We marketed, went to the bridal shows, sent out the fliers and worked extremely hard for them. I think we deserve some answers. Again I want to believe the best about them, but they went out of the business in a very unethical way and have been completely silent about it all. If they would give us some answers maybe peoples feelings would be different. I think they should be contacting each one of us individually and talking to us so that we can all feel better about the situation.

Owed Damages
07-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Every Dealer on this board is disgruntled. What else could they be after digging themselves out of this mess at great financial and personal expense? Perhaps some of the bashing is due to the fact that the Service Center helped perpetuate the lie that orders were "moving right along", when they were actually being held hostage at the manufacturer. Or that the Service Center was still accepting checks when trouble was in the air. Or that the Service Center claimed a harmless little "vacation", when in fact, everyone was exiting a sinking ship...on which the Dealers were still sitting. We took the Service Center's lies and passed them right to our customers, and that's why we're disgruntled.

Former Dealer
07-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Did YOU stop vacationing and eating out when you started your own business. i am sure you have had other businesses, does that mean you have never done the same. While they may have "lived their own lives", this was their business and it was taken very seriously. Your statements about the service center are ridiculous and I laugh. By the way, I am also a dbs dealer, for 13 years also!

caligirl
07-13-2005, 03:55 PM
There are no winners here...we are beating a dead horse!

I too, wish this was handled differently.

Maybe the service center was so awful to deal with, because they maybe knew things were wrong. Poorly managed staff, can generate anger and hostility, and as Dealers we felt it.

I am so sure that Dealers made errors, I know I did...But isn't that why we have the service center to help? We are human too. The training was a joke, I am sorry. The poor gal who trained me was stressed out to the max...even after reading our manual, I
was still left with questions. Alot of the questions got answered as I began to get customers.

No it does not take being a rocket scientist to run a biz as a dealer, but the bridal industry is unique and very cut throat, and one must have alot of moxie to survive it!

Now I am sorry, but management should have planned and budgeted for dealer errors, stuff happens in any business and you need to allow for this! I believe DBS's lack of modernization caused alot of their problems. Way too much paperwork for the year 2005.

sandy kerwin-meyers
07-13-2005, 06:39 PM
I heard that they emptied the business accounts for DBS/Martins and bought 3 houses in Florida--- that is where our money is.

I should have seen the signs too. The red flags were everywhere.

I just don't know what to do!!

caligirl
07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Can I ask how you would know something like that....unless you worked with them?

Left Holding the Bag
07-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Are you serious? This stinks. See my post here for more info.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=174&topic_id=178&mesg_id=178&page=

Justwrong
07-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I am so sure you at the Service Center had no idea about this "vacation", that Sandy and Lenny wanted to take. Did anyone there thought this is a bad idea keeping it from the dealers? I bet not, since you just go home where no one can bother you. Unlike many of us dealers, people are banging at our doors and yelling at our faces for answers to this awful situation.
As for the prizes, I would of told them NOT to do it, if they didn't have the money to do so.
We were never told about this problem---at least you had choices to make about DBS. Dealers never got a chance.

Has for all that money that customers paid ahead of time???
I wonder where it went!!!

Justwrong
07-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I am so sure you at the Service Center had no idea about this "vacation", that Sandy and Lenny wanted to take. Did anyone there thought this is a bad idea keeping it from the dealers? I bet not, since you just go home where no one can bother you. Unlike many of us dealers, people are banging at our doors and yelling at our faces for answers to this awful situation.
As for the prizes, I would of told them NOT to do it, if they didn't have the money to do so.
We were never told about this problem---at least you had choices to make about DBS. Dealers never got a chance.

Has for all that money that customers paid ahead of time???
I wonder where it went!!!

mrsshep
07-13-2005, 08:40 PM
http://www.madere.com/bankrupt.html

elizabetha
07-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Just found this on YAHOO, click on the blue box to join the goup, going forward you will get a daily digests of posts to the message board. This dbs911 is wonderful, but to stay in touch down the road...
BTW looking back something like that should have been established. I suppose that is in retrospect of being left in the dark and all. We could of shared thoughts of show ideas, who is going to the next training seminar, postive and negative things.... I thought I was the only one who thought the service center could be rude at times, and not exacty the supportive staff we were sold on when we signed up to be dealers.

Here is the link, if that does not work go to www.yahoogroups.com and search for "discount bridal service".

http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=discount%20bridal%20service&ss=1

blessbeginn
07-13-2005, 11:05 PM
We would like to be part of a letter, demonstration, legal action and most importantly a NEW company to replace the antiquated DBS.
My daughter and partner and I guessed something was up when we read the " 2 WEEK VACATION " email dated 6/30/05 when on 6/23/05 we received an email from Kim stating that NO RUSH CUTS due to a crunch time for manufacturer"s ....and that as soon as deliveries improved - we would be notified....." = ( now we know why the deliveries were a problem - no payments and rush cuts were not going to help get them released !!! )
The Service Center was difficult to deal with and the vast amount of paperwork - very antiquated !
A list of former DBS dealers would be very helpful if anyone has access to that database and would want to share !
We look forward to networking with you and your new group of followers; there is a market for our services and we must continue to fill that need.

[email protected]

blessbeginn
07-13-2005, 11:06 PM
We would like to be part of a letter, demonstration, legal action and most importantly a NEW company to replace the antiquated DBS.
My daughter and partner and I guessed something was up when we read the " 2 WEEK VACATION " email dated 6/30/05 when on 6/23/05 we received an email from Kim stating that NO RUSH CUTS due to a crunch time for manufacturer"s ....and that as soon as deliveries improved - we would be notified....." = ( now we know why the deliveries were a problem - no payments and rush cuts were not going to help get them released !!! )
The Service Center was difficult to deal with and the vast amount of paperwork - very antiquated !
A list of former DBS dealers would be very helpful if anyone has access to that database and would want to share !
We look forward to networking with you and your new group of followers; there is a market for our services and we must continue to fill that need.

[email protected]

stacij
07-13-2005, 11:27 PM
I do not want to participate in name calling, but I am extremely disappointed in the events of the last month. It is evident to most dealers that we have been lied to by everyone at the Service Center. We have been told that dresses would arrive on schedule that are still sitting at the manufacturer. We have been told dresses are late because they are sitting on a ship (the lady at Jacquelin laighed at me when I told her that explanation). We have been told everyone in the bridal industry could not get dresses any faster than we could. We have been told that it costs $40 to ship a box via UPS when the gown manufacturer are sending the same box for $10. We have been told that our bridesmaids are wearing dresses wrong and that is why it won't zip - instead of admitting there is an error with the dress and fixing it. We have been told that DBS pays manufacturers and that our brides can buy with confidence. We have been told that the Service Center employees were on vacation for 2 weeks when everyone was there packing boxes. We were told that our brides would receive dresses of comparable size, color, and price when our brides are receiving child's size dresses for a bridal gown that look cheaper than something you would buy at Target. We have been told that commission checks would be mailed the 7th of the month and we have not received one for 2 months now. I really could go on. I am facing the possibility of chargebacks to my account while Sandy and Lenny have the money I paid for these girls dresses. They send an email and letter stating that I have no liability but that does nothing to stop $9000 from coming out of my account if my brides choose to pursue this option.

I for one believed that I had friends at the service center and enjoyed talking to the employees there. It honestly sickens me to know that while Sandy or others were asking about my children and new baby or new house, you KNEW what was about to happen and pretended to care.

Owed Damages
07-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Gee DBScustomerservice, it doesn't seem like anyone from your "extended family" wants to take a stroll down memory lane with you, nor worship at your altar of Sandy and Lenny. So it's probably time you slither away with the rest of DBS and consult an attorney. After all, your name is probably on some of those emails that say, "Everything is great. The order is in progress. Keep sending those checks!"

jgoldwater
07-14-2005, 04:47 PM
I would like to give them a piece of my mind. We are now out about 1 months worth of future business and $10,000 on what they owe us Plus back commissions. Kiss it goodbye. We will take care of our customers and are purchasing a new gown out of our pocket. Is this how you wanted to be remembered Sandy.

Amy T
07-14-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm happy to work with you on a class-action lawsuit. Please let me know what I can do.

Amy T
I'm happy to work with you on a class-action lawsuit. Please let me know what I can do.

Amy T

Amy T
07-14-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm with you sister. In today's business environment, operational inefficiciences decrease productivity an increase risk for error.

Amy T
07-14-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm with you sister. In today's business environment, operational inefficiciences decrease productivity an increase risk for error.

Amy T
07-14-2005, 05:02 PM

Amy T

Amy T

Amy T

yitlan
07-14-2005, 06:17 PM
I know nothing of Lenny and Sandy and how they handled money. Unless there's solid proof, I won't assume they were reckless with it. But I do have to agree to the following:

1. The program info could have been MUCH more automated. I always wondered why there wasn't some sort of online database we could access, security issues aside. Still, the service center's experience and knowledge couldn't be duplicated. THAT, along with a more efficient way of getting info to dealers would have been unstoppable!
2. Computers definitely were not used to their potential! Nor the internet. I always wondered why each person didn't have their own email address. AOL is not a good business resource!
3. I dreaded calling the service center. There was one very nice person (whom I rarely talked to), one or two decent people and one that I prayed I wouldn't have to deal with (but almost always did). I was so glad to use email. Still, answers via email somehow came across with a touch of rancor. And I am NOT a sensitive person.
4. THey could have handled the announcement much differently. First, just tell us what's going on. Give us the info we would have needed to help our brides right away instead of forcing us to come to a public forum to figure it out. All of the speculation and conjecture adds fuel to the fire.

Hindsight is 20/20. There's nothing we can do about all this now, except try to comfort each other, get our brides taken care of, and move on. Again, dealers, I implore you: stay professional, esp. on these boards that anyone can see. Set the tone so that everyone knows we are doing our best!

Former Dealer
07-14-2005, 10:17 PM
How would you know that? Are you a friend or an ex-disgruntled employee?

UltimateBridewire
07-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi!

Please let us know if there is something we can do to help you . . . we have our policy for DBS brides on our website www.ultimatebridewire.com.

I know dealers are victims as much as the brides.

I hope we can help some of you!

Liz

NOT A KIM STRAUSS
07-15-2005, 08:14 AM
I AGREE.... KIM IS A LIAR AND A THIEF HERSELF. SHE CLAIMS TO BE IN THE SAME POSITION AS OTHER DEALERS BUT SHE WAS THIRD IN COMMAND. SHE IS A LIAR. SHE NEVER EMAILED US ABOUT THIS WEEKS EARLIER BUT IT IS WEIRD HOW SHE COULD EMAIL US A THOUSAND AND ONE TIMES TO BUY BRIDES NAMES ETC. AND THIS GETS ME..."I AM A SINGLE MOTHER OF THREE WITH A MORTGAGE" BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. HOW MANY SINGLE MOTHERS ARE THERE OUT THERE...BUT YOU DON'T SEE THEM STEALING FROM OVER 500 PEOPLE. THEY ACTUALLY HAVE CLASS AND MORAL VALUES. KIM STOP PRETENDING TO BE ON OUR SIDE. YOU ARE JUST LIKE SANDY AND LENNY...THIEVES AND LIARS. 20 YEARS IS ALL YOU HAVE TO SHOW FOR STEALING. YOU ARE NOT OUT OF A JOB. YOU HAVE ALL OF OUR MONEY SITTING IN YOUR BIG FAT BANK ACCOUNT.

enlisting help
07-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Maybe I'm just overly optimistic, but I think we can draw attention to this disaster and make something happen here. Seeing how Oprah has recommended the Bridal Bargains book, I sent her an email via her website and basically implored her for help. I'm also trying other ways to get some attention brought to this situation. Maybe if we all do what we can to spread the word and make ourselves heard, we can save the weddings and money of a lot of hard-working and trusting brides.

JoAnne Schnepp
07-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Yes...I think we are a force to be reckoned with here. I myself sent info to Bill O'Reilly with all the links to Alan and Denise and this forum and asked for an investigation. We are now getting consumer fraud, or what ever the legal term would be called...from all those manufacturers who are attempting to rip off the innocent brides by asking for MORE than the simple wholesale price of the gown plus shipping expenses. And THIS is AFTER they have gotten tons of business from DBS over the years. And WHO did the advertising and hard work to market the DBS business to brides all over the country? A lot of it was done by us dealers, wasn't it?

Do you suppose DBS knew that if any bride didn't get her gown, the dealers who had established the working relationship ( in many cases a relationship that lasted for months of working with this bride...not JUST selling a dress on a one time contact either....) and therefore would even go into our own pockets or give up all our own profits to help the innocent bride? I think they knew that. They were totally removed from the bride and emotionally uninvolved.

Many of us saw that in the cut throat, bottom line attitude that some of the service center people had when you needed any help. No one was going to ever bend a rule to help out a bride.

This industry needs to be overhauled. I always resented being treated like a second class citizen because I offered brides discounted prices. I couldn't even advertise in certain places in my town because no one wanted to upset the bridal shop owners. I had to limit my advertising to invitations or accessories in order to get into advertising aimed strickly at brides. It hampered me in growing my own business. Why should they have such control?

If brides want discounted prices why should they not be able to have it? Why should the manufacturers even care who buys their gowns and what the retail price is set at, if they make a wholesale price sale? Why should they cater to the bridal shops? And why should they not be exposed for their willingness to sell all these years to DBS, yet, if a bride made a call to see if her gown was actually going to be made by that manufacturer, most of them would deny they had a relationship with DBS...under the guise that it was only with Martins??? This is cut throat, slimy business and there is no reason for it. The manufacturer will say they can't deal with the home based business like a DBS dealer because we can't stock the 20 sample gowns each season and turn them over twice a year so that the manufacturer has some guarenteed sales with ea. FSRS....BUT....they made a LOT of money selling to DBS, who carried no stock, except at Martins...so there's proof they can still make money the other way...right? If we have a retail sales license entitling us to buy wholesale, and we've had training in how to service a bride with a wedding gown, then what's the big problem selling each of us a few gowns now and then? All totalled, they would be making a LOT of money per year from all of us on a nationwide basis, right? They're going to lose that kind of money in the future with the closing of DBS. Are all the full service bridal shops going to pick up that slack for them? I doubt it. There will ALWAYS be brides who want to look for a deal, a sale or are simply not going to spend $20,000 to have a wedding. Those are the customers I will keep looking for...as I don't even think anyone should have to spend that kind of money to get married and have a reception!!

Amy T
07-15-2005, 04:01 PM
AMEN, Sister!

This industry has gotten way out of hand. I got into this business b/c of my experience trying to purchase that perfect gown for my wedding. Like any other consumer good, brides should have the opportunity to obtain their dream gown at the lowest price possible.

jgoldwater
07-15-2005, 04:07 PM
She is now sticking up for Sandy and Lenny, so yes I think kim was in on it too. And yes if your reading this "Sandy and Lenny" what goes down comes around. I smell class action suit. Because lawsuits are the only thing that the both of you understand. Furthermore I dont care that you know that this e-mail came from me.

caligirl
07-15-2005, 08:19 PM
I could not agree with you more Joanne! Very well put. Also, I am hoping this makes the airwaves. I would love to see this on Bill O'Reilly's Talk Show. This industry has gotten way out of hand. AGAIN, Why shouldn't a bride have choices. It is a fact that most consumers will shop around and compare prices.

The bridal industry is going thru major growing pains...consumers are savvy and very educated with the internet at their fingertips! My hope is that manufacturers some how work something out-- that is fair to the retail side and the discounter's side, and make new industry standards.

I wish it wasn't FSBS's vs Discounter's all the time...some of the anger and hostility is simply scary. I have as a discounter personally received both emails and messages on my home phone from various FSBS's...they basically contacted me to let me know how much they despise us discounters and how we are ruining the industry. In fact some calls were so nasty, I probably should have went to the authorities with them. I personally was scared for my safety. I am not kidding!

I had my website posted on a particular message board for all FSBS's to see...and make their comments known. I just wonder what brides would think if they knew exactly how SOME (there are some good ones) of the shop owners really felt. It would probably hurt some business owners out there.

I also cannot believe how vulgar and cruel some folks have been to the Fields. It is actually criminal some of the stuff you read.

Alan and Denise recommended DBS for obvious reasons...obviously to educate brides of options out there. You have to admit DBS was a phenomenal concept that lasted 21 years! No one can predict the future, so all of the "Shame on YOU's" are utterly ridiculous!

The Fields felt so strong in their belief system that they have set up this board to help us ALL thru the DBS demise. If you ask me that shows alot of class and character. As for them making money on their publications, good for them, they earned it. A lesson to some folks out there!

KJ
07-15-2005, 11:31 PM
I like you JoAnne! You're one smart cookie!
You too Enlisting Help.
I was wondering were our National Coverage was????
Who else should we contact?

And OH BOY this statement:

all those manufacturers who are attempting to rip off the innocent brides by asking for MORE than the simple wholesale price of the gown plus shipping expenses. And THIS is AFTER they have gotten tons of business from DBS over the years. And WHO did the advertising and hard work to market the DBS business to brides all over the country? A lot of it was done by us dealers, wasn't it?

Has been rolling over and over in my mind for the last two days!

Frankly Impression's sucks they are charging 120.00 more for my girls gowns than what we paid DBS. Since when do they make retail price for their gowns??? Dessy is Awesome!!! Bent over backwards to help and is only charging me wholesale to obtain. Keep theses things in mind if any of you decide to go into being a FSBS.

AND BINGO!!!!!
Do you suppose DBS knew that if any bride didn't get her gown, the dealers who had established the working relationship ( in many cases a relationship that lasted for months of working with this bride...not JUST selling a dress on a one time contact either....) and therefore would even go into our own pockets or give up all our own profits to help the innocent bride?

Hope I get to speak with you one of these days! You Rock!

bridesweb
07-16-2005, 07:13 AM
Dear Heather:

I guess that since DBS is going out of business, my non-compete is null and void. I was a rep for about 7 years and it was probably the biggest waste of time and money. I “resigned� June of 2004 for 2 reasons; they cancelled orders for Lazaro because they lost access (I had a bride waiting for delivery in May and her wedding was in June!!) and because “they� accused me of having accounts with manufacturer’s because I had gowns for sale on my web site. The gowns I had listed were from brides that had cancelled their weddings. I never had possession of them either. Brides would contact me and ask me to help them sell their gowns. I sold a few. I would only do so if they were unaltered and tags were still on them. The nerve of Sandy calling me and being nasty!! DBS (Kim) did authorize me to sell Alex Hanson gowns and I am in the process of getting my web site back up again www.bridesweb.com. I have had that domain for years and used to do a great business for accessories.

Nancy Russ
Licensed Aesthetician
Arbonne Consultant
http://www.skincaretherapist.myarbonne.com

Real Bridal Shop Owner
07-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Mr. Fields,

I must reply on this site and hopefuly set somethings straight. My wife and I have been a "mom & pop" bridal retailer for 17 years. We have 2 simple rules - "Treat your customers as you would like to be treated" and "Take care of your customer TODAY or somebody else will tommorow". By living by those two simple rules, we have had a successful business. We are not the Trumps but we are living the american dream - Working hard and owning our own business.

We got into the business because we ourselves got married. Both myself and my wife came from different jobs but we thought that there had to be a better way of planning a wedding. It wasnt just the prices but the overall planning of the wedding. So we decided that we would venture into the bridal busines, using our experieces from our previous jobs and adding that into our new store but with more. Shops in our area didnt offer the services that we do now - Gowns,shoes, jewelry, invitations, alterations, favors, all wedding accessories, tuxedos - everthing needed for the wedding. The main thing we give every customer is personall servive. We know every bride's first name. We treat them like family. We feel that's our formula for success.
We also can find our brides travel agents, florist, entertainment, resturaunts, limos, jewelers, hair stylist, even doves & buterflies. And we have been doing this for 17 years. Now we dont carry every bridal gown or designer and not ever bride buys their gown from us, but we treat every bride the same. Even today, we are trying to help every bride who has bought through DBS. Now we can not match the DBS price, but we try to do the very best for them. To make 10 or 25 dollars a gown is is why Martins is closed today.

As far as the bridal indusry goes, to be an authorized retailer, we have buy samples from each designer, 2 times a year. We carry over 50 different lines from bridal, BM, FG MOB. With each desinger you have to purchase about 12 bridal gowns, twice a year along with BM, FG, MOB etc. So as an average, we spend anywhere from $3000.00 to $10,000.00 per designer - twice a year for the new styles or season. Do the math. No add in all the other itmes needed - shoes jewelry, veils, headpiece, slips, bras, etc. Then you have to pay rent, taxes, utilies, advertising, payroll (if you a busy enough to afford employess), insurance, etc. But we knew this going into business. I even thought of being a DBS dealer, but after reading into them, I was concerned that I would not have direct contact with the deisgners. Meaning I was solely depending on DBS/Martins, which scared me. So we started with a couple of bridal lines, then added some more lines and went from there. It was a struggle at the beginning but we are still here, thank God after 17 years. Even today, we still worry about every gown order. Just last month, Bridal Originals, after 58 years in the business, decided to close. But the difference was that they sent us a letter on 6/14/2005,informing us that they would not be accepting anymore new orders after 6/24/2005 and that all orders would be completed by 9/15/2005. That's the way to do it. We will miss this compnay and we applaud them on how they are handling a very sad situation for the owners of this US bridal designer.

So Martin's comes up with this buiness plan and on paper it sounds great. "If Avon can do it , why not us". But in the bridal industry, "trans-shipping"- one authorized dealer selling to an unauthorized seller - is prohibited by just about all designers. This rule was in place BEFORE DBS was born. Martins new this but did it anyway. As far as the designers go, many knew what Martin's was doing and did nothing to stop them. I aggree, the designers are partially to blame for DBS beginning. They saw extra sales coming in and turned a blind eye to it. Some designers like Bridal Originals, stop doing buiness with Martiin's in 1997 because of DBS. But then internet came along. This was a way for FSBS to combat against DBS. Offer discounts on gowns that they WERE authorized to sell. No middleman. Now the designers have two problems - DBS and the internet. Over the past 5 years, designers have been pulling lines from Martins with the latest being Alfred Angelo and Maggie Sottero. Two major bridal designers that they can no longer offer to their DBS dealers. That hurt them. They are DBS dealers who have struck a busniess agreements with FSBS to buy some designers from them. The way this worked was the bridal shop, authorized dealers would sell the gowns to the DBS dealers, adding 15-20% onto the wholesale price plus the shipping. Sometimes this was a better deal that what DBS offered. But again, the DBS dealers were relying on a middleman and not directly working with the deigners. Many bridal shops closed and again left these DBS dealers out in the cold. Now the designers are prohibting prices of gowns on the internet and the sales of gown on the internet. Many designers are now instituting MSRP - Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price- Just like Sony does for their PS2. And we the retailers have no other choice to abid by these rules or lose this designer.

So now we have the problem today. Martin's Bridal closes, closing its retail stores and DBS, leaving all DSB dealers left to handle brides and their orders. And you have the people here, Mr. & Mrs. Fields, blaming the full service bridal shops and the deisgners. Let me tell you something Mr. Fields, and I am sure that just about every bridal shop owner in the U.S. will agree with me when I say - We feel for every bride today who is having a problem receiving their gowns. We hope that EVERY bride receives their gown that they choose and paid for in time for their wedding. But for Mr. Fields to demand that FSBS offer gowns at cost is ridiculus! Mr. Fields, are you selling your books at cost? Are you making a profit on your books? Of course you are. You sell your bridal book for $14.95. Seems fair. But do you tell your customers when they order your bridal book that your wholesale cost of $7.98! Of course not. You are in business to make a profit, just like us and the DBS dealers. We also feel bad for the DBS dealers who now have to pay the desingers AGAIN for the order so that their customers can receive their gowns. How is this fair to these people? It's not. And we feel for them because we as FSBS could be in the same situation if a designer decides to close down with no notice like Martin's.

So in closing, we hope every bride receives the gown of their dreams. Contact your DBS dealer, who I know will do everything humanly possible to help you. If they cant help you, please know that many FS Bridal Shops will help you the very best they can.

As far as Mr. Fields, I hope you change your attitude towards the FSBS as we are not the enemy. You attacks against us is unethical may maybe illegal. I noticed that you changed you posts regarding all the designers. You have done a diservice to all involved causing fear and panic when its not needed. Granted, many DBS dealers and DBS customers had no idea on what was going on and your post informed them but to say "Dont give the bridal shops the biz" is wrong!Plain and simple and it may come back to bite you!!

Again to all brides, we wish you all years of happiness and hope that you get to wear the gown of your dreams and please know that we the retail bridal shops are professionals and are willing a ready to help you on one of the most important day of your lives!

A U.S. full service bridal shop owner

Real Bridal Shop Owner
07-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Mr. Fields,

I must reply on this site and hopefuly set somethings straight. My wife and I have been a "mom & pop" bridal retailer for 17 years. We have 2 simple rules - "Treat your customers as you would like to be treated" and "Take care of your customer TODAY or somebody else will tommorow". By living by those two simple rules, we have had a successful business. We are not the Trumps but we are living the american dream - Working hard and owning our own business.

We got into the business because we ourselves got married. Both myself and my wife came from different jobs but we thought that there had to be a better way of planning a wedding. It wasnt just the prices but the overall planning of the wedding. So we decided that we would venture into the bridal busines, using our experieces from our previous jobs and adding that into our new store but with more. Shops in our area didnt offer the services that we do now - Gowns,shoes, jewelry, invitations, alterations, favors, all wedding accessories, tuxedos - everthing needed for the wedding. The main thing we give every customer is personall servive. We know every bride's first name. We treat them like family. We feel that's our formula for success.
We also can find our brides travel agents, florist, entertainment, resturaunts, limos, jewelers, hair stylist, even doves & buterflies. And we have been doing this for 17 years. Now we dont carry every bridal gown or designer and not ever bride buys their gown from us, but we treat every bride the same. Even today, we are trying to help every bride who has bought through DBS. Now we can not match the DBS price, but we try to do the very best for them. To make 10 or 25 dollars a gown is is why Martins is closed today.

As far as the bridal indusry goes, to be an authorized retailer, we have buy samples from each designer, 2 times a year. We carry over 50 different lines from bridal, BM, FG MOB. With each desinger you have to purchase about 12 bridal gowns, twice a year along with BM, FG, MOB etc. So as an average, we spend anywhere from $3000.00 to $10,000.00 per designer - twice a year for the new styles or season. Do the math. No add in all the other itmes needed - shoes jewelry, veils, headpiece, slips, bras, etc. Then you have to pay rent, taxes, utilies, advertising, payroll (if you a busy enough to afford employess), insurance, etc. But we knew this going into business. I even thought of being a DBS dealer, but after reading into them, I was concerned that I would not have direct contact with the deisgners. Meaning I was solely depending on DBS/Martins, which scared me. So we started with a couple of bridal lines, then added some more lines and went from there. It was a struggle at the beginning but we are still here, thank God after 17 years. Even today, we still worry about every gown order. Just last month, Bridal Originals, after 58 years in the business, decided to close. But the difference was that they sent us a letter on 6/14/2005,informing us that they would not be accepting anymore new orders after 6/24/2005 and that all orders would be completed by 9/15/2005. That's the way to do it. We will miss this compnay and we applaud them on how they are handling a very sad situation for the owners of this US bridal designer.

So Martin's comes up with this buiness plan and on paper it sounds great. "If Avon can do it , why not us". But in the bridal industry, "trans-shipping"- one authorized dealer selling to an unauthorized seller - is prohibited by just about all designers. This rule was in place BEFORE DBS was born. Martins new this but did it anyway. As far as the designers go, many knew what Martin's was doing and did nothing to stop them. I aggree, the designers are partially to blame for DBS beginning. They saw extra sales coming in and turned a blind eye to it. Some designers like Bridal Originals, stop doing buiness with Martiin's in 1997 because of DBS. But then internet came along. This was a way for FSBS to combat against DBS. Offer discounts on gowns that they WERE authorized to sell. No middleman. Now the designers have two problems - DBS and the internet. Over the past 5 years, designers have been pulling lines from Martins with the latest being Alfred Angelo and Maggie Sottero. Two major bridal designers that they can no longer offer to their DBS dealers. That hurt them. They are DBS dealers who have struck a busniess agreements with FSBS to buy some designers from them. The way this worked was the bridal shop, authorized dealers would sell the gowns to the DBS dealers, adding 15-20% onto the wholesale price plus the shipping. Sometimes this was a better deal that what DBS offered. But again, the DBS dealers were relying on a middleman and not directly working with the deigners. Many bridal shops closed and again left these DBS dealers out in the cold. Now the designers are prohibting prices of gowns on the internet and the sales of gown on the internet. Many designers are now instituting MSRP - Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price- Just like Sony does for their PS2. And we the retailers have no other choice to abid by these rules or lose this designer.

So now we have the problem today. Martin's Bridal closes, closing its retail stores and DBS, leaving all DSB dealers left to handle brides and their orders. And you have the people here, Mr. & Mrs. Fields, blaming the full service bridal shops and the deisgners. Let me tell you something Mr. Fields, and I am sure that just about every bridal shop owner in the U.S. will agree with me when I say - We feel for every bride today who is having a problem receiving their gowns. We hope that EVERY bride receives their gown that they choose and paid for in time for their wedding. But for Mr. Fields to demand that FSBS offer gowns at cost is ridiculus! Mr. Fields, are you selling your books at cost? Are you making a profit on your books? Of course you are. You sell your bridal book for $14.95. Seems fair. But do you tell your customers when they order your bridal book that your wholesale cost of $7.98! Of course not. You are in business to make a profit, just like us and the DBS dealers. We also feel bad for the DBS dealers who now have to pay the desingers AGAIN for the order so that their customers can receive their gowns. How is this fair to these people? It's not. And we feel for them because we as FSBS could be in the same situation if a designer decides to close down with no notice like Martin's.

So in closing, we hope every bride receives the gown of their dreams. Contact your DBS dealer, who I know will do everything humanly possible to help you. If they cant help you, please know that many FS Bridal Shops will help you the very best they can.

As far as Mr. Fields, I hope you change your attitude towards the FSBS as we are not the enemy. You attacks against us is unethical may maybe illegal. I noticed that you changed you posts regarding all the designers. You have done a diservice to all involved causing fear and panic when its not needed. Granted, many DBS dealers and DBS customers had no idea on what was going on and your post informed them but to say "Dont give the bridal shops the biz" is wrong!Plain and simple and it may come back to bite you!!

Again to all brides, we wish you all years of happiness and hope that you get to wear the gown of your dreams and please know that we the retail bridal shops are professionals and are willing a ready to help you on one of the most important day of your lives!

A U.S. full service bridal shop owner

heatherdelacruz
12-16-2006, 03:52 PM
I want to thank everyone that has posted to this message board because all the information has been very helpful as we all try to sort out this mess. I think that all of the DBS dealers need to get together and write something to send to Sandy and Lenny. I hate how they have just written their e-mail and made themselves uncontactable and left us to clean up their mess. We are all scrambling to save our businesses and help our stranded brides because of their choices. Their e-mail doesn't even begin to do justice to all that we dealers are now having to go through and deal with. I am interested in putting something together and letting them know all of our stories and also just how much money we are losing. I am paying for many orders out of my own pocket because I am so sad for my brides and I just want them to have their stuff that they rightfully deserve. WHY DID THEY KEEP US IN THE DARK ABOUT ALL OF THIS!!!!!!!!! WHY DID THEY CONTINUE TAKING ORDERS!!!!!!!! THAT WAS SOOO WRONG AND SO UNETHICAL OF THEM!!
Any dealer interested in e-mailing me directly to tell me your story I would love to talk with you. We can't go unheard on this. It is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!! I still can't believe they e-mailed us... They should be calling each and every one of us personally and apologizing personally and taking the time to hear how this has affected each and every one of us. They are taking the easy way out and it is so wrong. I am so sickened by all of this and am eager to hear from other dealers that feel the same way.
Heather DelaCruz
[email protected]