PDA

View Full Version : Average alteration cost?

mirlo
09-12-2007, 07:18 PM
I am wondering if any of you can give me some comments on how much you spend on your wedding dress alteration? I found a dress, which is a sample dress, it is in excellent shape and it fits me quite well, only slight alteration is needed (the seamstress in store said the dress size would be the size she recommended me order if I were to order one).

She then told me what needs to be fixed:
- Take in zipper around breast & waist area for couple inches
- add built-in cups
- hem dress
- net & linen all around
- 3 inverted bustles

And the total comes to $300. Just the hem alone is $150! I was shocked, it would've been the price I need to pay EXTRA if I were to order this dress brand new (org. price $1350). I found this ridiculous, is this just me or is that price outrageous?

NoeGirl
11-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Mine is $385 for: hemming, letting out seams, changing ribbon detail, fixing damaged piece, bustles, pressing, etc.

I knew mine would be expensive because the size was mismarked but I got a great deal on my dress so I took the total cost into account. If I had paid full price and had this much alteration to be done I may have gone with a different dress. Just for comparison, my hemming is $150 too.

I'm guessing that you live in a big city like I do. I found that the city seamstresses were pricier and had 1 year waiting lists in some cases so I went to the burbs to get a "better" deal.

Welcome to the wedding racket. It seems to be a lot like buying a used car ; )

I hope this helps.

virtualvoice
01-12-2008, 12:52 AM
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and found about the same price range. I bought a sample sale dress for $200 (originally over $1000!), and then they told me the alterations would be ~$300! (I asked after I bought it, unfortunately.)

It's insane that alterations would be more than the dress. My dress just needs the hem shortened a little bit, a tiny bit taken in in the bust & hip (I may choose to do without), and a bustle.

When explained to me it makes a bit more sense:
You apparently have multiple fittings for them to pin things up and check how they did- this takes time, as well as the sewing, and labor isnt' cheap... And I guess usually they steam or press it as well.
(It's still insane.)

Does anybody know of a cheap place to get alterations? (specific or generic)
I hear even if people know how to sew, wedding dresses can be complicated so they say it's best to have someone who's in the business...

epistle
09-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Mine were $120 in a city on the east coast. I didn't have much done since my gown already fit almost perfectly; the seamstress just took in the bust and waist, shortened the spaghetti straps and added a bustle. I could've done the straps and the bustle myself; the bustle was just a loop of thread and a button!!

Paddlefisher
05-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Mine was $300 for hem (organza, crinoline), french bustle (14+ color-coded ties), and custom-made tule wrap. GULP!!!

wed01
05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I ate too many girl scout cookies and then lost weight. So I needed more than a basic hem. It was $200.

bridechilla
08-30-2010, 02:05 PM
That seems like a pretty reasonable price, but I would keep looking. I found alterations for my bridesmaid dress for around $100, but it was not as extensive as what you are talking about. Hope that helps!