PDA

View Full Version : Tasty do-ahead entree - chilled tenderloin of beef

jennifer_r
04-27-2006, 07:36 AM
I've been meaning to post this on the lounge for along time now but I keep forgetting. It's a great dish to do when you are entertaining since you make the tenderloin the day before and then just before serving, you slice it up. I usually marinate the beef the morning before, then roast it that night & serve the next day. That way I can concentrate on the other stuff I am serving. It also taste really good.

Chilled Tenderloin of Beef w/Horseradish Creme Fraiche (recipe courtesy of White Dog Cafe Cookbook)

Beef
1/2 cup dijon mustard
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup minced shallots
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 centre-cut beef tenderloin (about 2 pounds)

Horseradish creme fraiche
1 cup creme fraich or sour cream
2 tsp worcestshire sauce
1/4 cup fresh horseradish or prepared horseradish to taste
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp salt

Make marinade by whisking together the marinade ingredients. Rub marinade into beef and cover and marinate the beef in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. Preheat the oven to 450. Roast beef in oven until medium rare (35-40 minutes, instant read thermometer reads 135). Let cool. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or until well chilled. Thinly slice the beef across the grain. Serve with Horseradish creme fraiche.

To make horseradish creme fraiche, just combine all ingredients, cover and chill. Can be made up to 3 days ahead.

I love this recipe and can't get much easier for a simple elegant dinner.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/img][/url]

octmom
04-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks! This sounds perfect for serving after DD's Christening next month, since it can be prepared ahead of time and ready to serve when we get home.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

ethansmom
04-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Have you used prepared horseradish? If so, how much did you use?

Sounds delish!!!

jennifer_r
04-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I've made this dish several times and I've always used prepared horseradish. But, I just eyeball it and taste and then just keep adding it until it's got the right heat - maybe 2 tbsp - 1/4 cup or maybe even a bit more?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I do alot of things "to taste".

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/img][/url]

ethansmom
04-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks! I too do most cooking by taste, so was just looking for a starting point.

ethansmom
05-06-2006, 07:51 PM
We had this tonight and it was quite yummy! I think it would be a great meal during the hot summer months. I would love to hear what sides you serve with it. I think chilled asparagus would be good, but I can't think of anything else besides a couple of warm potato sides!

andie16
05-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I was wondering about side dishes too. Would you do all cold sides, all warm or one of each (veggie and starch). I was thinking maybe grilled or roasted mixed vegetables or grilled yellow and green squash and some kind of potato dish-would love suggestions as we're not a big potato family. I don't really know any cold veggie dishes besides plain old salad, cucumber and vinegar salad and potato salad. How do you do chilled asparagus?

I'm probably going to serve this this weekend to some of DH's co-workers.

Thanks for the original recipe and any ideas regarding sides.

ethansmom
05-10-2006, 06:12 PM
For chilled asparagus, just steam it as you would normally and then refrigerate until cold. I don't know why, but my mom always served it this way growing up and it was yummy. However, I'm pretty sure she boiled it instead of steaming and she probably overcooked it as well.

After having it with one warm side, I'm thinking all cold might be the way to go. How about a potato salad or coleslaw?

andie16
05-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks. I think I'll try the chilled asparagus-sounds nice and easy! I'll have to think more the other side. DD is allergic to eggs so unless I want to treat our guests to soy mayo (which really isn't too bad, but for those who eat mayo regularly I'm sure it's not the same) those are kind of out. I do have a tasty coleslaw that I have made that is more of an Asian slaw with rice wine vinegar, but I'm not sure it would go well with the horseradish. I'll have to break out some cookbooks.

ethansmom
05-11-2006, 09:55 AM
You could do a search for non-mayo potatoe salads, too. I know I've made one w/sour cream before. Or, just use oil and herbs.

octmom
05-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks again for this recipe! We made it Saturday, but threw it on the grill instead of using the oven. Served it on Sunday after DD's Christening and it was a big hit. I bought a larger piece of meat (~7 pound tenderloin from Sam's) and doubled the marinade and horseradish creme fraiche.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

jennifer_r
06-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Glad to hear that people enjoyed it. It's one of my favorite entrees to serve to company.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

andie16
06-01-2006, 07:22 PM
We really enjoyed this as well. I also got a bigger piece of beef from Sam's and doubled the marinade, but I think half of the marinade (basically the original recipe) would have been plenty.

Thanks also for the help with the side dishes. I served chilled asparagus with a little drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice with salt and pepper and some lemon zest and a tomato, yellow pepper, and red onion salad with some sort of vinegarette and some bread.

We will definitely be having this again!

ctmom
06-08-2006, 11:01 AM
how many does this feed? Sounds great, especially since my local store has tenderloin on sale this week!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

jennifer_r
06-14-2006, 03:12 PM
I think the recipe states 6 servings, however my butcher said it wasn't enough for 6 (but I can't remember how much he recommended for the number of servings I needed). I'm awful estimating that kind of stuff and I don't want to give you the wrong advice - my recommendation is to ask the butcher at your foodstore; he should definitely be able to help you out.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]