PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bake Sale Goodies

Puddy73
04-27-2006, 09:00 AM
I need to bake something for a Muscular Dystrophy fundraiser at my office. Since most of the purchasers will be adults, I'm looking for something a little more original than the usual Rice Krispie treats or brownies. Any yummy ideas?

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

proggoddess
04-27-2006, 09:30 AM
I just made baklava for the first time last week. (DH is taking a Middle Eastern history class and they had a pot-luck for the last session.) It was not difficult, just time consuming (1.5 hrs from prep to finish). If you have leftover filo dough, you can wrap them around chicken and bake, or push them into muffin cups to make dessert cups, etc. (I just ate them, but hey, that's me!)

Pastry:
1 package of filo dough (find frozen in pastry/dessert section)
1/2 lb. butter, melted
1 lb. walnuts, almonds, or pistachios (or a combo of any!)
1 tsp. cardamon (could also use cinnamon and cloves)
1 Tbsp. sugar

Syrup:
1 C water
2 C sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. cardamon

Coarsely chop nuts in food processor, along with cardamon and sugar.

Thaw the filo in the refrigerator 24 hrs. before using. Unroll the filo, cut to the size of your pan (I used 9x13x2"), then place the sheets between a damp towel to keep them from drying out.

With a pastry brush, butter the bottom of the pan. One at a time, place 12 sheets of dough in the pan, brushing each one with butter. (It's okay if the dough breaks or is uneven! It's all going to get syrupy and unrecognizeable later anyway.)

Evenly spread nut mixture over sheets. Cover nuts with 12 more sheets brushed with butter. Pour remaining butter on top. Place pan in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to harden.

Preheat oven to 350 deg. Cut the hardened pastry into squares, diamonds or triangles. Bake for 30 min. Raise oven temperature to 425 deg. for 10 minutes to brown the top of the pastry.

To make the syrup: combine all ingredients in a saucepan and boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Pour the hot syrup over the hot pastry. Re-cut the pieces when cool. Store covered at room temperature.

(Edited to change subject for easy finding.)

kimbe
04-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Preheat oven to 250 F

Lay pretzels (regular mini ones or wagon wheels) on cookie sheet and play a hershey kiss on each.

Place in oven for 3-4 minutes

Press M&M into the kisses. (If it doesn't go easy, put back into the oven for another minute or two.)

Place in refrigerator until the kisses harden.

It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, so just try a couple at a time. Then you can mass produce them. Throw 10 in a ziplock snack baggie and there you go. Caution --- they are very addictive.

We made a ton of these for our wedding to put in a thank you basket in the hotel room of those that traveled to be there.

AmyZ
04-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Cooking Light just did an article this month about yummy bake sale items - it might be worth picking up a copy!

You can also do a search on Cookinglight.com - passcode is "MINT"

I already made these Sour Cream Coffee Cake muffins - they were really good! :-)

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/display/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1185382

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

kochh2
04-29-2006, 06:46 AM
"the page you requested is only available to cooking light subscribers and newsstand customers" (OR Somethign to tht effect..) couldn't get in to read it :( if you have time to post, woul dyou mind reposting with the actual recipe??? pleeeeeeeeeeease?? and thank YOU!!!!
they sound so yummy, I can't wait to try em!!!
:)

Lynnie
04-29-2006, 06:51 AM
sour Cream Coffeecake Muffins

Fold the batter just four times to swirl in the sugar mixture, not fully blend it.

1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 7 3/4 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
3 teaspoons fresh orange juice
Dash of salt

Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine first 3 ingredients; set aside.

Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add egg substitute; beat 3 minutes. Beat in sour cream, water, and vanilla.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture; add sour cream mixture. Stir just until combined.

Place 3 tablespoons brown sugar mixture in a small bowl; set aside. Sprinkle surface of batter with remaining brown sugar mixture. Gently fold batter 4 times.

Place 18 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups; coat liners with cooking spray. Spoon batter into prepared cups. Sprinkle batter evenly with reserved brown sugar mixture. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan immediately; place on a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes.

Combine powdered sugar, juice, and dash of salt in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Drizzle powdered sugar mixture evenly over muffins.

Yield: 18 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 182(28% from fat); FAT 5.7g (sat 2.8g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 2.9g; CHOLESTEROL 14mg; CALCIUM 53mg; SODIUM 176mg; FIBER 0.6g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.4g

AmyZ
04-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks Lynnie!! :-)

**I used 2 eggs instead of a substitute.

**I wouldn't bother sprinkling the top with brown sugar mixture, just mix it ALL into the batter (the part on the top burns a bit).

**I didn't bother with the powdered sugar topping, (I was short on time), but I bet it would be yummy!

Enjoy!

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

darby24
04-30-2006, 12:24 AM
Another Barefoot Contessa classic. If you want chocolate, these are incredible!

Her website has a few trouble shootting tips if I recall correctly; www.barefootcontessa.com

Outrageous Brownies

1 pound unsalted butter
1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
6 ounces bitter chocolate
6 extra large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 ¼ cups sugar
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 12 x 18 x 1 inch-baking sheet.

2. Melt together butter, 1 pound chocolate chips, and bitter chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.

3. In a medium bowl, sift together 1-cup flour, the baking powder and salt. Add the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with ¼ cup of flour, and then add them to the chocolate batter. Pour into the baking sheet.

4. Bake for 20 minutes, and then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake! Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate and cut into 2 large squares.

Makes 20 large brownies.

kaylinsmommy2
04-30-2006, 11:03 PM
I've seen this recipe before and it looks delicious! But is it easy to make? I've never made a batch of 20 brownies before! Yikes - it's a little daunting. :) Is it an easy recipe or one for a more experienced baker?

ET correct typo

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

darby24
05-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Sorry I'm late getting back to you, Caroline.

Nope, it's not a hard recipe. You do need to have the right sized sheet pan (or else just make sure you don't add too much batter as it will overflow.)

BTW, this recipe makes 20 *huge* brownies!!

kaylinsmommy2
05-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Cool. Thanks. I'll definitely try it!
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]