PDA

View Full Version : Soups, spaghetti O type foods and chips from Whole Foods/Earthfare

Babywhite
04-28-2006, 10:51 AM
My 20 month old DD loves Spaghetti Os, soups and chips. I give them to her on rare occasions b/c they aren't always the healthest items. :)

I visit Whole Foods/Earthfare about once a month.

Can anyone share what soups and chips you (or your kids) love from these stores. Also, do they carry any items "like" spaghetti O's, etc.? (She currently is tired of the "Booty" items.)

TIA for your help

R.W.
SC

AmyZ
04-28-2006, 01:02 PM
My DD loves Minestrone soup. I buy the Progresso Brand. They just started making a "new" Minestrone that is "Fat Free" and they added northern white beans and lima beans to the recipe. It also has a much lighter tomato broth instead of the old kind. I strain the soup and give it a quick rinse to get rid of some of the sodium.

I would highly recommend it for soup lovers!

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Babywhite
04-28-2006, 02:20 PM
If you are straining the soup part, what do you replace it with for taste...just water?

TIA :)

AmyZ
04-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Well, I do a very light rinse, so some broth is still left and it gets mixed with the water that I am rinsing with (if that makes any sense!) My DD enjoys eating the beans and veggies as finger food and occasionally uses a spoon - so she is not very interested in broth. It is quite messy... basically dripping veggies and beans.

One other thing, I often add chuncks of poached (organic) chicken that I keep on hand in the freezer to the soup before putting it in the microwave.

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

ethansmom
04-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Could you cook some whole wheat pasta and just add a spaghetti/tomato sauce?

My DS loves TJ's tomato & roasted red pepper soup and organic black bean soup. I think I've seen the same thing in WF...I think the black bean was Amy's.

BTW, we add plain yogurt to the black bean soup. DS also LOVES when I mix WF refried beans w/salsa, heat, then add some plain yogurt. I love it too. ;-)

caheinz
04-30-2006, 01:20 AM
Annie's Homegrown is a brand that carries canned items "like" Spaghettios. My DS loves the cheese ravioli (or "eeeoli", as he calls them...).

Annie's also makes Bunnies. DS loves the chocolate ones and the cheese ones. (They're like goldfish -- well, the cheese ones are, or teddy grahams, except for the shape, of course. )

Not everything is organic (the canned stuff is, parts of the bunnies are), but they do try.

My local grocery store carries part of their line in the Natural Foods section. This is one area where Whole Foods' prices are as good or better, though.