PDA

View Full Version : help me love my slow cooker

kaylinsmommy2
04-29-2006, 04:09 PM
I really enjoy the braised beef (pot roast, beef ribs, etc), but I don't like the way the chicken and sausages turn out in the slow cooker. I think the chicken and sausages get really mushy and loose all their texture. Am I just expecting too much from my slow cooker recipes?

The recipes I've made that I didn't like: slow cooker jambalya and a slow cooker sausages in marinara sauce.

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

brittone2
04-29-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't know about the recipes you are used to cooking, but with beef and sometimes with chicken, I think the taste is improved if you brown it quickly (or sear it) for a few mins in a skillet before putting it in the crockpot.

It is a PITB to dirty an extra pan but for certain things, I think it really improves the taste. I wonder if quickly browning the sausage a bit first might help?

JacksMommy
05-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Ditto on the browning. We consider ourselves gourmets and have had good luck with a book called Not Your Mother's SlowCooker. Lots of fast easy recipes. Have definitely made sausage and chx recipes from there that have been good (orange hoisin chicken and a bean/sausage stew). That being said, slow cooking does involve mushier food on the whole, at least for chicken and meats although browning the sausage did keep it whole in the recipes I've made.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

kaylinsmommy2
05-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Wow, I did not think about browning as making a difference at all. Doh! I always browned my beef and pork, but not my chicken. I will defintitely try that next time. Thanks!

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

emilys_mom
05-27-2006, 08:45 AM
You have really got me thinking, because the only chicken recipe we like actually calls for you to brown it first. Why didn't I put 2 and 2 together?