PDA

View Full Version : Need main course idea for Supper Club

BethS
05-01-2006, 03:54 PM
It's our turn to host supper club this month and I'm fresh out of ideas. I need a main dish that is not seafood and would prefer something that we could grill as it's already in the 90s here in Texas. Last month we had pasta so I'd like to avoid that as well.

Thanks in advance!

alleyoop
05-01-2006, 06:13 PM
If you are near a Central Market (Austin, Dallas, Plano...) I suggest their plane pinwheel steaks. Grab a bottle of Soy Vay Teriyaki and marinade in it for a couple hours. Throw them on the grill on Med-hi for 8min each side. Maybe grill some pineapple rings and zucchini the last couple minutes, and make sticky white rice to go with and you will be set!

The marinaded pork tenderloins from CM are awesome, too

boolady
05-02-2006, 09:25 AM
I got this recipe from a free card at Williams-Sonoma a while back, and it is delicious. It would be great with a black bean and corn salad, and some grilled vegetables, or something like that. It's pretty quick and easy, but to get the right flavor, make sure you get smoked paprika from W-S or somewhere.

Grilled Marinated Skirt Steak

1 T. salt
1 T. smoked paprika
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat (I have made it using flank or skirt, and it turns out well either way)
1/3 c. fresh orange juice
1/3 c. dry sherry
3 T. firmly packed light brown sugar
2 T. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes

In a small bowl, stir together the salt, paprika, and black pepper. Rub spice mixture on both sides of steak.

In a bowl, whisk together the orange juice, sherry, brown sugar, olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Place marinade in a non-reactive bowl with steak and marinate at least 1 hour, up to 4 hours.

Preheat grill to high heat. Remove steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Grill 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking.

Transfer steak to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut steak against the grain into thin slices. Serves 2 to 3.

Also-- let me know-- I have a really good black bean and corn salad recipe I can post. Good luck!

Lynnie
05-02-2006, 10:02 AM
this forum makes me so hungry !! but motivated, too.

boolady
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Black Bean and Corn Salad

1/3 c. fresh lime juice
1/4 c. olive oil
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1/8 t. ground cayenne pepper
2 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
6 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro

Whisk juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a larger bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, scallions, and cilantro. Pour dressing over these ingredients and stir to coat. Good cold or at room temperature.

NOTES: You might want to start by only pouring about 1/2 the dressing over the beans & veggies to see if you need to use all of it. Sometimes I find that it's wet enough without all of the dressing; however, if I make it ahead, I sometimes toss in a bit more dressing right before serving. Also, if you are going to make it ahead and use the avocado, don't put the avocado in unti you're ready to serve, or I think it gets a bit mushy. Hope you enjoy!