PDA

View Full Version : Good, EASY soup recipes ??

Lynnie
05-03-2006, 12:07 PM
I have never ventured beyond good old chicken soup, and am sitting here at work sick as a dog eating a really good cream of broccoli, and was wondering if anybody has any easy, non chicken (since i know that one) soup recipes ?

thanks in advance.

ps don't worry, i am not contagious, am on antibiotics, just feel nasty. i sympathise with the "who would bring sick twins to a potluck" thread !

SquamLake
05-03-2006, 02:12 PM
I love Jane Brody's recipes and am particularly fond of this lentil soup recipe. It is quite easy and handles being played around with, for example, I never use white wine, but have used a bit of vinegar at the end. Also, to give it a bit of a kick, I'll add turkey kielbasa for the last 20 minutes of cooking.

Jane Brody's Lentil Soup
( 1) 2 T olive oil
( 1) 2 large onions, chopped [2 C]
( 2) 3 carrots, coarsely grated
(1/4) 3/4 t marjoram, crumbled
(1/4) 3/4 t thyme leaves, crumbled
( 1) 2 14 oz can tomatoes, w/juice, coarsely chopped
( 2) 4 14 oz cans broth [beef, chicken, or vegetable]
(3/4) 1-1/2 C lentils, rinsed & picked
(1/4) 1/2 t salt
(1/4) 1/4 t fresh ground black pepper
( 3) 6 oz dry white wine
(1/4) 1/4 C chopped fresh parsley or 2 T dried flakes
( 2) 4 oz Cheddar, grated

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heat oil in large saucepan, and saute onions, carrots, marjoram, and thyme; stirring for about 5 min.
Add tomatoes, broth and lentils. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer soup for about 1 hr. or until lentils are tender.

Add salt, pepper, wine and parsley; simmer soup for a few min.

Serve with cheese sprinkled on each portion.

JulieL
05-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Sorry your sick!

I just love vegetable soups:

6-8 cups both or water w/boubion cubes
1-2 cans of choice beans: navy, black, pinto, lentels - all good choices, I like beans so I use 2 cans, drain and rinse clean
1 can diced tomatos, drain

cup of (or several cups) : corn, peas, broccoli (frozen veg works great)

zucchini chopped
carrots
onion
shallots
potato

I like a thick vegetable soup so I add about 5 cups of vegetables w/the beans, but just add less vegetables if you want a thinner soup.

also good fillers: only pick 1! ;)

1 cup bulgur
1 cup barley
1 cup pasta

good spices to add:

dill
oregano
sweet basil
salt
pepper
bay leaves ( 1 or 2)

add a little of the spices you choose and increase to your taste, be wary on your salt, premade broths can be quite salty by themselves

add it together, cook for 30+ min (may take less if you cooked some of the harder vegetables before hand - such as the carrots) and you get a yummy homemade veggie soup! I usually make a variation of this every week or so to put in the end of our vegetables before they go bad!

I hope you get better really soon!

missym
05-07-2006, 04:47 PM
This is one of the handful of recipes that I make, so it's got to be easy! (DH loves to cook, fortunately.) It's also pretty quick if you microwave the potatoes. The recipe is from the Very Best Baking web site.

Baked Potato Soup

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (14.5 fl. oz.) chicken broth
1 can (12 fl. oz.) CARNATION Evaporated Milk
2 large or 3 medium baking potatoes, baked or microwaved
Cooked and crumbled bacon (optional)
Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Scoop potato pulp from 1 potato (reserve potato skin); mash. Add pulp to broth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes just to a boil. Dice remaining potato skin and potato(es); add to soup. Heat through. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Top each serving with bacon, cheese and green onions, if desired.

To Microwave potatoes: Prick each potato liberally with a fork. (If you don't, they will explode.) Place potatoes on paper towel in microwave. Cook on high for approx. 5 minutes per potato. (I always have to cook mine longer than directed.)

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want a penpal for your BBB kiddo? Send an email to:
[email protected] **

Jo..
05-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
(still chicken, but not just chicken ;)!

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 7 Hours
Yields: 8 servings

Soup:
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (one with green chilies, one plain), undrained
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Optional Garnishes:
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Crushed tortilla chips

DIRECTIONS:

Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.

Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours.

Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired

missym
05-08-2006, 06:38 AM
This is one of our favorite recipes! It's become our standard take-along dish for parties and family functions. So easy and YUMMY!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want a penpal for your BBB kiddo? Send an email to:
[email protected] **

Moneypenny
05-09-2006, 10:33 AM
This soup is great - whip up some biscuits and you have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. It's not too heavy so we even eat this in the summer.

Tortilla Bean Soup
1 T vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 carrots, diced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 can diced tomatoes with liquid
1 can black beans, rinsed
5 c chicken stock
1 package dried tortellini, any flavor
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion, garlic, carrots, thyme and bay leaf in oil for about 5 minutes, or until carrot starts to get tender. Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Add tortellini, return to boil, reduce hit to simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove lid and add black beans, salt and pepper. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until beans are heated through.

Serve sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese if desired.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

bostonsmama
05-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Tbsp olive oil
small onion, chopped
2 tsp crushed garlic
Tbsp chili powder
tsp cumin plus dash hot sauce
can Rotel w/ cilantro & chiles
can Del Monte Petite Diced tomatoes w/ olive oil, garlic
2 2/3c chicken broth (I use "Better than bullion" w/ water)
1/2 c corn kernels
can black beans, drained
can white hominy, drained
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (canned, fresh cooked or shredded from a rotisserie chicken)

1/2cup shredded cheddar
sour cream
2 cups tortilla chips

In stockpot, saute onion & garlic in oil 5 min. Add ingredients through broth, simmer 10min. Add remaining ingredients, simmer 20-25min.

Ladel into bowls. Top w/ pinch of cheddar, dollop of sour cream and crush some chips on top and dig in.

Larissa

My-oh-my, we're doing it in July!

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

bostonsmama
05-09-2006, 09:07 PM
6 slices bacon, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
large onion, chopped
2 (16oz) cans black beans (w/ juice)
6 cups strong beef stock (I use "better than bullion" paste)
14oz can Italian stewed tomatoes
1/2 tsp celery seed & seasoned salt
1/2 lb smoked sausage (kielbasa), diced
1/2 lb cooked turkey or chicken, diced
1/2-2/3c uncooked white rice
1/2 tsp oregano
Tbsp sugar
dash cayenne, salt and black pepper

In large stockpot, cook bacon, remove. Saute onion & garlic in drippings 5min. Drain excess fat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low after bringing to boil for 1.5-2 hours covered. Excellent w/ sour cream & chips or pitas or garlic toast. Even better the next day!

Larissa

bostonsmama
05-09-2006, 09:15 PM
small onion, chopped
Tbsp butter + Tbsp olive oil
2 small carrots, diced
1 head cauliflower, washed and broken into florets
salt and pepper to taste (~tsp + 1/4 tsp)
1 cup white cooking wine
4 cups chicken stock
tsp marjoram (dried)
3/4 c half and half

In stockpot on med-high, saute onion in oil/butter for 3 min. Add carrot, saute 5 min. Add wine & broth. Drop in cauliflower florets, S & P to taste and add marjoram. Bring to boil, then simmer 35-40min covered. In blender, puree all but 2 cups of soup w/ liquid in 2-3 batches. Return to pot. Stir in half n half. Bring to boil, then remove from heat & serve. Less than 75 calories per 6oz serving. Recipe from Family Circle magazine.

Larissa