PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian dinner ideas?

marchmommy
05-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Anyone recommend some delicious and protein-filled veggie options for dinner? I feel like I'd be vegeterian except that I feel my DH expects a hearty dinner, so I need some ideas for meals I can make for the whole family (other than pasta with cheese, mac n cheese, etc>. Cookbook recommendations would be great too. And I need easy relatively quick recipes!!!!!!

mskitty
05-03-2006, 10:58 PM
I'd think ethnic food. Mexican could be done with a big plate of cheesy nachos... rice & bean burritos... fajitas.... all could be done meatless for you and add a little protein beyond beans/cheese for your husband for a hearty dinner. 5 or 7 bean chili is easy without meat. Maybe a vegtable stirfry or tofu lo mein for Asian food... I do cajun red beans and brown rice with just a little bit of sausage.

Hope that gives you a few hearty nearly veggy ideas.

MsKitty

mamatomax
05-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm mostly vegetarian, but I do eat fish on occasion. On thing I can tell you from experience is that the words "vegetarian food" and "quick and easy" are seldom seen together. I just substitute veggie crumble in recipes that call for beef (like taco salad) or I'll make things that don't call for meat (like spinach lasagna). The brand "Quorn" makes a good chicken alternative (the small bits variety). I whip up a dish that is so easy: I do a boil-in-the-bag-rice, and put the Quorn fake chicken in a pan with sesame oil, a little tamari, rice vinegar, and mirin (rice wine). I'll let that cook for a few minutes and add some frozen veggies. Once it's all heated thoroughly, you are done. I put the rice into the pan, and stir it all up together. It's healthy and yummy, and best of all...quick. I'll try to think of a few more ideas, and get back to you.

Jill
Mama to Baby Max

http://b1.lilypie.com/VnnVm5/.png
http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/265055.png

shoppinggal
05-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Our new fave meal was inspired at Costco of all places. They were promoting cubed tofu and they served it up stir-fried with soy sauce, olive oil and their frozen stir-fry veggies. My 12 month old son LOVED it and eat 6 bowls. My version is with whole wheat pasta, fresh avacado, sliced grape tomatos, olive oil, the cubed tofu and light soy sauce. We eat it at least once a day!

brittone2
05-07-2006, 08:00 PM
There is a good recipe in the archives for Thai Chickpea stew (not very spicey at all so good for kids too, and you can make it more/less spicey depending on your tastebuds).

It is done in the crockpot and is very yummy and IMO works for a summer crockpot type dish because it isn't very heavy. Topped w/ cilantro it is actually kind of fresh, light and yummy.

Jo..
05-08-2006, 05:50 AM
I just had a delicious & healthy vegetarian meal last night. MIL was over for dinner and we often do "theme nights" of food from other cultures on Sundays.(eg: Greek, Japanese, etc.)

Last night we did Middle Eastern with Falafel sandwiches in pitas with tomatoes, spinach, and tahini sauce, tabouli salad, and a curried chickpea salad. It was really very good, and quite easy too! I will post my Falafel and Curried Chick Pea salad recipes. If you're in a hurry, you can buy boxes of Falafel mix and Tabouli mix for under $3 in the "ethnic" section of most grocery stores, just add cold water, and they're really not bad at all. Of course, homemade from scratch is better :)!

I also wanted to mention that there is a deal on Vegetarian Times magazine right now, $2.99 for a year!!! I'm sure there are a TON of great recipes in that. Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=82&topic_id=22706&mesg_id=22706&page=

Jo..
05-08-2006, 05:55 AM
Falafel with Tahini Sauce

Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Falafel:
1 pound dried chickpeas
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes, optional
Salt and pepper, as needed
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Sandwiches:
6 to 8 pitas, tops sliced open and lightly toasted
Tahini Sauce, recipe follows

Optional garnishes:
Shredded lettuce or spinach
Tomato slices
Thinly sliced red onion
Thinly sliced cucumbers

Tahini Sauce:
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup tahini
1/2 cup water or plain yogurt
1/2 cup lemon juice

Mash the garlic and salt together. Add the tahini, mixing well. The sauce will thicken. Gradually add the water or yogurt, blending thoroughly. Then add the lemon juice. Blend well.

Make the Falafel:
Soak the chickpeas in cold water in the refrigerator overnight.
Drain the chickpeas and place them with the onion in the bowl of a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the oil. Mix well. Process the mixture a second time. Form the mixture into walnut-sized balls and deep-fry or pan-fry in hot oil.

Make the Sandwiches: Stuff the pitas with lettuce and nestle the falafel patties inside. Top with the rest of the ingredients and drizzle with the tahini sauce. Serve immediately.

Jo..
05-08-2006, 05:59 AM
Curried Couscous & Chickpeas with Broccoli and Feta

(Sounds like a strange combo, but is quite yummy. Try it!!!)

1 3/4 c. water
1 c. uncooked couscous
1 1/2 c. small broccoli florets
1 c. finely chopped red onion
1/3 c. shredded carrot
1/4 c. raisins
1/4 c. chopped roasted cashews or almonds
2 T white vinegar
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 T sugar
2 t. curry powder
1 t. bottled minced fresh ginger
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3/4 c. (3 oz) crumbled feta cheese
½ t. crushed red pepper flakes

Boil the water; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 min. Fluff with fork.

While couscous stands, steam broccoli for 3 min. or until tender. Combine couscous, broccoli, onion, and everything else but the cheese, tossing gently. Sprinkle with feta.

mamatomax
05-08-2006, 06:04 AM
Where did you see that subscription deal? I looked at their website and didn't see it for that cheap. Please let me know.
Jill
Mama to Baby Max

Jo..
05-08-2006, 06:12 AM
I posted a link to the thread, if you click it it should take you there.
If not, go into the Bargain Alert! forum, the Vegetarian Times deal is on page 1 a few topics down.
The price for the year through magazine force is $19.90, but coupon code MPS85P takes off $16.91 for a total of $2.99 for the year. :D

mamatomax
05-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Awesome!!!
Thanks,
Jill
Mama to Baby Max

JulieL
05-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I also wanted to mention that there is a deal on Vegetarian Times magazine right now, $2.99 for a year!!! I'm sure there are a TON of great recipes in that. Here's a link to the thread.

THANKS, I'VE BEEN WANTING THIS!!! MY ORDER IS PROCESSED!!!