PDA

View Full Version : WWYD-1st B-day cake question

MeghanP
05-03-2006, 05:07 PM
We are having 2 1st b-day parties for DS, one at home and one out of state at the in-laws' house. For the in-law party, I want to make a healthy cake for DS, but we will be traveling a lot that weekend and I won't have a lot of time. My in-laws don't eat healthy so I am in no way going to expect them to make and/or buy something he could eat. So my question is, would you just try to make a healthy box cake (if there is such a thing), or try to make a quick and easy homemade cake? I may have to make the cake 2 days in advance if that makes a difference. Also, depending on your answer, could you give me some suggestions as to which box cake or homemade cake you would make? DS has always had a dairy sensitivity (while nursing), though it is getting better and he has eaten a small amount of cheese the last 2 days with no adverse effects (yet).

TIA!

juliasmom05
05-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I made the applesauce cake in this thread.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=86&topic_id=29231&mode=full

applesauce cake:
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups flour (whole grain spelt flour)

preheat oven to 350. cream first 5 ingredients together. stir in applesauce and flour. grease an 8x8 pan and pour in batter. bake 30-45 minutes. cake can be topped with powdered sugar or icing. this recipe makes one layer cake. (i have had it as cupcakes, too.)

It was super easy and tasted great. No eggs. I made them as muffins, but a cake would be just as easy. I also just used regular flour.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

MeghanP
05-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Sounds good...did you use real butter or margarine? Just curious.

juliasmom05
05-04-2006, 07:52 AM
I used real butter.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

Nemesia
05-04-2006, 07:55 AM
You could use an Oetker organic box cake mix. You could use the vanilla cake mix and add an organic mashed banana to make it 'different'. They also have boxed icings.

http://www.oetker.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/oetker.woa/wa/page?focus=US&option=prd_893&destination=page_36

nfowife
05-04-2006, 09:35 AM
I was planning to make DD a healthy cake, but with family in town and so much going on time got away from me and I didn't get a chance to do it. So I let DD have the little cake that came free with the sheetcake at her party. Honestly- and DD ate more than I have ever seen a baby eat at a birthday party- she barely ate any of it. Mostly she just ate the frosting with maybe 2 small bites of the cake. Now, I'm glad I didn't go to all that effort to make a cake!

ctmom
05-05-2006, 02:04 AM
what about a store bought angel food cake topped with some fresh berries? It is relatively healthy and very easy...

HTH!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03