PDA

View Full Version : Need a good potluck idea!

JennSimm
05-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Hi everyone. Geeze....I never knew this thread was on this board. Glad I found it. We are going to my daughters FFA banquet this sunday and need a dish to pass. I really try to avoid those things at all cost, mainly because I have to eat other peoples cooking that I dont like!!! We live in a small town, and to be honest, if some of the personal care issues carry over to the cooking...well...you know what I mean. ANYWAY....I need a dish to pass. I normally just cook for family and small groups of friends, which we grill or make pasta, or fish. What on earth shoudl I take to this? I would like something that would be easy and good!!! All ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!!

Jennifer!

kelly ann
05-04-2006, 09:49 AM
I love baked Mac N Cheese. There are never any leftovers when I make this dish and it is pretty cheap to make (I use pre-shredded cheese).

Classic Macaroni and Cheese

1 (16 ounce) package macaroni
1 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

2. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish. Place a quarter of the macaroni in the bottom, followed by an even layer of one-quarter of the cheese slices. Dot with butter and season with salt and pepper. Repeat layering three times. Pour evaporated milk evenly over the top of all.

3. Bake, uncovered, for one hour, or until top is golden brown.

boolady
05-04-2006, 10:01 AM
I don't know exactly what kind of dish you're looking for, but I have made this for MANY baby showers at work, my best friend's son's baptism party, and at home with great reviews, always. I have made anywhere from the amount in the recipe up to 4x the quantity, and it always turns out. I often leave out the mushrooms if I'm taking it places, though, because I don't know if others will like them, and I usually use turkey Italian sausage, but it doesn't really matter. If I make it the day before, I don't broil it, I just assemble everything, then take it out the next day, let it sit out for a few minutes to take the chill off, then broil it or bake it at about 350 degress to get it heated through and melt/slightly brown the cheese. If I'm making it to take somewhere, I often use a foil pan to make it no-cleanup.

This is slightly modified from the very enthusiastic 30 Minute Meals girl on Food Network. :) Good luck finding a recipe!

Italian Mac N' Cheese

1 lb. ziti rigate, penne rigate, or cavatappi
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, bulk or removed from the casing
2 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
12 cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
salt & pepper
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 c. chicken stock
1 c. half-and-half
1 10 oz. (2 1/2 cups) package shredded Italian 4-cheese blend
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained well
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt water and cook pasta according to directions on package.

In a nonstick skillet, brown and crumble the sausage. Drain sausage crumbles on paper-towel lined plate. Return pan to heat and add olive oil, butter, garlic, and mushrooms. Season liberally with salt & pepper. Saute 3 to 5 minutes, until mushrooms are lightly golden.

Turn broiler on to "high."

To mushrooms and garlic, add flour and stir, cooking 2 minutes. Whisk in stock, then stir in half-and-half. Bring to a bubble, then stir in 2 c. of 4 cheese blend. When cheese has melted into sauce, add tomatoes. When sauce comes to a bubble, remove from heat and adjust seasonings.

Combine cheese sauce with sausage and pasta, transfer to baking dish, casserole, or oven-safe serving platter. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 c. of 4 cheese blend and grated Parmesan over the top, and brown under hot broiler.

jillc
05-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Hi Jennifer,

These aren't really main dish type of items, but they're good. Not sure if they'll fit the bill, but wanted to share incase it helps.

Rachel Ray's Caprese Antipasticks are easy, pretty, and yummy! Here's a link to the recipe. I made these for a bridal shower in January, and they were a big hit.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_19656,00.html

My other suggestion is the "Bean and Barley Salad" (or maybe "Barley and Bean Salad") in the Better Homes & Gardens big red & white cookbook. Make a double batch for a large gathering. A friend brought it to a potluck & it disappered quickly. I made it recently & really liked it, too.

Good luck!!
Jill

dhano923
05-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Do you need a main dish or side dish? For a side, I'd do a salad, like pasta or potato. Or you could do a nice green salad tossed with italian dressing right before serving.

urquie
05-06-2006, 01:13 AM
this recipe is awesome!!! it looks long, but is really easy and forgiving. almost everything goes in a food processor. cook some pasta and cut up a few veggies (i think i used green bell peppers and green onions instead of the other peppers and scallions). and it can be sitting out for a while with out going bad.

Szechuan Noodles Recipe #114262

From the Barefoot Contessa, this makes a great sidedish or lunch on it's own!

6 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup good soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar (or try 1/8 balsamic vinegar,1/8 red wine vinegar)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon hot chili oil
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 lb spaghetti
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
5 scallions, sliced diagonally (white and green parts)

6 servings

35 minutes 25 mins prep

Place the garlic and ginger in a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
Add the vegetable oil, tahini, peanut butter, soy sauce, sherry, sherry vinegar, honey, chili oil, sesame oil, and ground peppers.
Puree the sauce.
Add a splash of oil to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook the spaghetti until just done, not soft.
Drain the pasta in a colander, place it in a large bowl, and while still warm, toss with 3/4 of the sauce.
Add the red and yellow bell peppers and scallions; toss well.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
The remaining sauce may be added, as needed, to moisten the pasta.
Enjoy!

http://www.recipezaar.com/114262

JennSimm
05-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Thank you all for taking the time to write these all out!! Im not sure which I will do!! They all sound yummy!!!

Thanks!!!!

Jenn