PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Picnic Lunch Menu for 1st B-day Party Needed!

shoppinggal
05-07-2006, 01:02 PM
My son just turned one and we're throwing him a Birthday Picnic in Central Park. I still don't have a theme but I was thinking a "little" party and serving box drinks and mini sandwiches and other kid friendly food but I think I can do better. Not to mention I want to serve food that won't go bad in the 2 hours or so we'll be outside (ice cream cake is out!) And did I mention that we're probably going to host 30-40 people?

Help! Any suggestions (food or favors) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

kimbe
05-09-2006, 10:47 AM
That sounds like a fun idea! That is a lot of people!!!!

For favors --- how about bug shaped and decorated cut out cookies! Or, since it is picnic, a brown lunch bag filled with bubbles, and other kid friendly outdoor things.

Hmm for food, tough one! You could do fruit and/or veggie tray, fruit salad or a veggie salad, cupcakes, tortilla chips and salsa, veggie pita sandwiches, bruschetta bread.

If I think of any more, I'll add them.

HTH! I hope that you will update and let us know how it was and what you did! Such a great idea!!

ctmom
05-10-2006, 05:55 AM
for my dd's 5th b-day party she wanted a flower/garden theme. We gave these out for favors and included crayons and flower seeds...
http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=26/12630&mode=Searching&searchDestinationJSP=/search/searchMain.jsp&erec=0&D=flower%2Bpots&No=0&Dx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntt=flower%2Bpots&N=0&Ntk=all

I made this cake, which was a big hit...
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe2094

I also put some fresh cut flowers on the different food platters I had. We had the party inside our house, in the middle of February, so we had to pretend we were in a garden!!

What about ordering a tray of tea sandwiches from a deli or a tray of fried chicken and/or chicken fingers for the kids. Also some different cheese and crackers and fresh fruit always are nice at a picnic.

HTH!
Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

shoppinggal
05-10-2006, 08:34 PM
I love the bug cookie idea but it's too labor intensive. I need to buy everything and cheap - my guest list is pushing 50!

I was also thinking brown bags for favors! I was going to put in sippy cups for the babies and little sandwhiches and raisins.

I was going to decorate the area with lawn ornaments and frisbees, bubbles and other outdoor toys for kids to take home.

Share your ideas ladies! Thanks!

peasprout
05-11-2006, 10:13 AM
We also had a party for 40 people in the park and we made pulled pork sandwiches. It's really easy. Just make a huge pot of it and buy a bunch of hamburger buns. No condiments needed! And it doesn't have to be served piping hot,...lukewarm is still very tasty. It's a very filling and easy meal, but fancier than sandwiches. We also ordered a tray of chow mein noodles (kids love them!). Pizza is also a safe bet,...it won't go bad. HTH!
JP

buddyleebaby
05-12-2006, 04:35 PM
How far are you going to have to carry everything? Are you around the corner or are you going to have to lug everything on the subway?

shoppinggal
05-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I live on Central Park West so no subway needed. We'll load up a wagon and cross the street.