PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Stuffed cabbage recipe that does not use raisins

buddyleebaby
05-08-2006, 03:28 PM
also maybe one where you can substitute ground turkey for pork or beef.
TIA!

nathansmom
05-08-2006, 03:41 PM
For the cabbage rolls I don't have an actual recipe cause I do it from memory but I'll try to list as close as I can. I think Cook's Illustrated had a recipe that sounds close to mine that I can post if my eye balling it doesn't appeal to you. My sister makes these with ground turkey but I don't.

Meat Mixture-
1lb ground beef
1 1/2 cups minute rice (I have never tried this without minute rice)
1 onion chopped
6 cloves garlic
8 ounces tomato sauce (you may need more the mixture needs to be wet)
salt
pepper
mix all together. I use salt and pepper to what I like so you season it to about what you'd like.

Cabbage:
Take a head of cabbage and drop into boiling water. Slowly work each leaf off the head and drop into cold water. When the leaf is removed cut the back ridge so the leaf will be flexible.

Fill the leaves of cabbage with meat mixture. Drop a ball of mixture roll on turn and tuck the sides in and then finish rolling. I drop the rolls into a greased crock pot. Make on layer then cover the layer with tomato sauce (not what I listed for the meat mixture, you'll need more) and sauerkraut. Continue until all leaves are gone or you crockpot or pot is full. I then add about 3/4 cup water to the crockpot. Cook on low 8 hours and they are done. If you do the over I think its 325 degrees for about 2 hours or until meat and rice are done.

buddyleebaby
05-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks so much!
I don't mind the estimated amounts at all. It's sort of how I cook, I hate to measure.
Thanks again, off to the grocery tomorrow!

kboyle
05-14-2006, 10:23 PM
ooohhh, sounds good, i've been looking for a good stuffed cabbage recipe, dh loves the stuff, i'm not a huge fan of cabbage, but i like the stuffing.

dumb question, but the rice is uncooked when i make the meat mix, right?

nathansmom
05-15-2006, 05:02 PM
right uncooked minute rice

kboyle
05-15-2006, 07:43 PM
thanks!

this'll be on next weeks menu...i'll tell ya how it turns out next week!

kboyle
05-23-2006, 05:00 PM
I made this yesterday and it turned out GREAT! Everything had great flavor, but not too overwhelming or mushy like many Stuffed Cabbages that i've eaten.

The whole family loved it, DH gave it 2 big thumbs up, DS1 ate 1 roll & DS2 ate the stuffing out of TWO rolls (finger foods are really working out well for him ;-) )

thanks for the great recipe!

nathansmom
05-24-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm glad you liked it. I do it from memory since my mom refuses to give me my grandmother's recipe. I know I do a few things different than she does but I think it tastes good.

daisymommy
05-24-2006, 01:21 PM
ooooh, and so glad to hear you don't have to dirty up dishes cooking the rice and ground beef ahead of time (am I correct that the ground beef is raw?).

Also, how do you work the leaves off the cabage when they are in teh boiling water? Are you taking them off one by one as the rest of the cabbage head is still boiling away?

nathansmom
05-24-2006, 02:31 PM
You are correct the ground beef is raw. For the cabbage yes the head boils as you work the cabbage off. I use two forks and a knife to work the leaves off although sometimes I can do it without the knife. The first time you do it you'll think its the hardest thing but each time you boil the cabbage and pull the leaves off it gets easier. All this talk about cabbage rolls and now I'm thinking I'm going to have to make this for the weekend.

kboyle
05-24-2006, 03:04 PM
yesterday i passed this recipe on to a friend and i told her the hardest thing about the recipe is taking off the leaves, it seems SOOOO hard at first, but by the end of the head it wasn't too bad. very steamy though, i was sweaty & exhausted after working the cabbage head :)

jgriffin
05-26-2006, 08:19 AM
I like this dish, DH just tolerates it (which means I only get to make it a few times a year :( ). I've never made cabbage rolls (yeah, the cabbage leaves scare me), so this is my easy alternative. The recipe is from Penzeys.

Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole

Serving Size : 6

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound ground beef
1 cup onion -- chopped
8 cups cabbage -- cut into 1" strips (~ 1.5lb)
1/2 cup water
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar -- or balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds -- whole
1 teaspoon granulated garlic

Brown ground beef and drain off any grease. Add the chopped onion and cook for about 3 minutes to soften the onion. Add the cabbage and water and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the cabbage starts to wilt.

Add the tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, caraway seeds, and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover.

Simmer until the cabbage is the desired tenderness, about 30 minutes.

Serve over rice (which we sometimes omit).