PDA

View Full Version : What will appeal to me?

psophia17
05-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm having issues with dinnertime - help!

At 16 wks pg, I am craving fruit and nothing else, although cereal and bagels with cream cheese are okay. The idea of meat, dairy that isn't cream cheese, pasta, and any number of other normally good food options are not grossing me out, but close to it.

Any ideas of what I can make for dinner that will appeal to DH (a meat and potatoes kind of guy), DS (will eat anything), and me (usually not picky but can't help it right now)?

TIA!

kimbe
05-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Hmm, that is a tough one! How about grilled fruit and veggies? You could grill some meat up for DH and then have the fruit and veggies as a side for him and a meal for you. If you grill peppers (red, green etc.) they get really sweet so that might pass as fruit for you. We've grilled pineapple, peaches, mango, avocado, squash, and other stuff that I just can't remember right now.

I hate hate hate mushrooms, but would they be an idea?

HTH! Hang in there with the craving! I am sure that it will change once you have figured out fabulous menus that appeal to all! ;)

Jo..
05-10-2006, 06:48 AM
You have to sneak some protein in your diet somewhere (I know I sound like a broken record).

For snacks, can you make yourself a couple smoothies per day with protein powder? I like plain yogurt (dairy but in a smoothie you'll never recognize it), some mixed frozen fruit, a splash of milf, a couple ice cubes, half a banana (I eat the rest while I'm blending), some ground flax seed, and a scoop or two of protein powder. Throw it all in the blender for a few seconds. It tastes like a berry milkshake, and there are all kinds of good things in it for baby.

For meals you can make some vegetarian recipes since meat is making you queasy (there are a couple good recipes in the vegatarian thread, I'll see if I can dig up some more). What about veggie burgers? I find that the smell of beef makes my stomach turn but for some reason poultry is okay...can you manage a chicken breast or a turkey burger, or is ALL meat making you sick?

Grab a couple handful of nuts (almonds and walnuts are probably the best) daily to snack on. Every little bit helps :)

psophia17
05-10-2006, 07:53 AM
"a splash of milf" this one has me ROFLMAO

All meat is grossing me out at the moment, and DH doesn't do vegetarian for some reason. I'm trying to get protein in the form of yogurt, but choking it down is tough. Cold cuts, which I am trying to avoid, make me happy, and I expect bacon would make me happy too, although thinking about cooking it is pretty gross.

Smoothies are a good idea...I did that a lot when I was pg before and had a super-dee-duper blender. My current blender stinks, so I haven't tried it yet...but I should.

My protein staple used to be peanut butter. DS has it for lunch most days, and I've been trying, but it's hard to choke it down.

I had a wonderful cafeteria at work last round, so didn't go through this indecision...where is my cafeteria now???

psophia17
05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
What about eggs? I could make something eggy and manage to eat it, I think...any ideas on what to make that has high protein because of eggs?

Jo..
05-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Egg Salad sandwiches sound good to me...These recipes sound yummy and easy

1-2-3 Quiche

6 eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. cheese (your choice)
1 c. cooked meat and/or vegetables (cubed ham or turkey, crumbled bacon, oriental frozen vegetables, green pepper, onion, mushroom)
1 9-inch deep dish frozen pie shell

In medium bowl, thoroughly beat eggs and milk. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared crust and bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If you're pregnant, grab a fork, sit down, and eat the whole thing ;)

Quiche Lorraine

1 9-inch pie shell (you may use a frozen crust)
8 slices bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
6 eggs
1 ¼ c. half and half or milk
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. pepper
Prick bottom and sides of pie shell with fork. Bake in 450 degree F oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Cool, reduce oven temp. To 375 degrees F. Sprinkle bacon and cheese into pie shell. Beat together remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour over bacon and cheese. Bake 30-40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving

Spinach and Mushroom Frittata

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed
4 eggs or equivalent egg substitute
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup chopped portobello mushrooms
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions with some green tops
1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
1 pinch Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well mixed. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray and fill with the spinach mixture.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, or until browned and set. Let cool for 20 minutes, cut in wedges and serve.

psophia17
05-10-2006, 05:41 PM
There are eggs in custard, right? How about some pie... :9

Jo..
05-10-2006, 05:49 PM
LOL! Just consider Quiche "Dinner Pie" :)