PDA

View Full Version : I need some easy reciepies for cooking carrots.......

jess_g
05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
I am trying to get my kids to eat more vegies so I need some ideas on how to cook carrots. I usualy cook them in chicken broth more as soup than as a side dish so I am looking for new ideas.

Thanks,

Jessica.

jennifer_r
05-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Here's two recipes I use:

Recipe A:
Steam or boil carrots until tender (can be pierced with a knife) but not mushy. In a pan, melt butter (maybe 2 tbsp) and then stir in some brown sugar (maybe 1 tbsp). Once the sugar is melted, add a splash of OJ then the carrots and stir to coat. If the sauce is too thick (means too much sugar) add a bit more butter or OJ. If too thin, add a bit more sugar. (Honey can be used instead of the brown sugar).

Recipe B:
Steam or boil carrots until tender (can be pierced with a knife) but not mushy. Melt butter (maybe 2 tbsp), add honey, (2 tbsp), dijon mustard (1 tbsp). Stir together until mixed. Add carrots and chopped fresh parsley (2 tbsp). Season with salt and pepper. Toss and serve immediately.

I haven't done this yet, but am contemplating adding some dried cranberries and chopped walnuts to the carrots in Recipe A. I think it would work.

HTH

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/img][/url]

kelly ann
05-10-2006, 02:23 PM
I love roasting carrots. I toss them in some olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then roast them in the oven on a cookie sheet at around 400 degress. So yummy and the roasting brings out the natural sweet flavor of the carrots.

Jen841
05-18-2006, 09:48 AM
My Mom streams then, but in place of water uses OJ. Good-- and best part EASY!

KarenNYC
05-29-2006, 07:11 PM
I make this one ALL the time and it is always a big hit:

Maple Glazed Baby Carrots

2 Tbl. Butter
2 lbs baby carrots
1 ¾ cups of beef broth
½ cup maple syrup
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
½ cup toasted and chopped pecans (optional)

In 12in. skillet melt butter over medium heat and add carrots – stir to coat. Add beef broth, maple syrup, salt and pepper and increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover tightly and cook for 6 mins. Uncover and cook, stirring often until carrots are tender and liquid has been reduced to a glaze (12-15 mins). Stir in pecans and serve.

zoestargrove
05-30-2006, 01:06 PM
my boys went crazy over the roasted carrots I made last night, like a pp, I roasted with olive oil and a little salt,

then I finished them off in a hot skillet with a little bit of honey.

o_mom
05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I haven't tried this (I'm not a big carrot fan) but it's on my list to do:

Grate a large number of carrots (that's the hard part) and layer them in a pyrex baking dish with a lid. Put a layer of carrots, salt, pepper, butter and then another layer. Keep going and really pack down the carrots. Cook in a hot oven (with the lid on). They will cook down about half the depth and taste really sweet so people would swear you added sugar.

kedss
06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
We did grilled carrots last weekend and DS loved them, also I make a ginger/brown sugar glazed carrots(all measurements are approximates, since I don't use a recipe:):

1 bag baby carrots
a little butter
water(just enough to steam, about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup(app)brown sugar
ginger, powdered, to taste
salt/pepper, to taste

steam the carrots in butter(about 2 tablespoons) and water, add the brown sugar, ginger and salt and pepper, let cook til the carrots are soft(baby carrots take about 10 minutes on medium(roughly))

JTsMom
06-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Steam and add butter and chives, and maybe a little salt. Yum!