PDA

View Full Version : yogurt smoothies

crl
05-10-2006, 07:42 PM
DS has started really asking for yogurt drink on a regular basis. I've been giving him Danactives, but I'd rather do something organic and with less sugar. I'd be open to store-bought, but haven't seen anything. So I thought maybe I should try making yogurt smoothies. I have a blender. Would one of those immersion mixers be better (is that what they are called)? As in, easier to clean?

And, please, recipes?

Thank you!

ethansmom
05-11-2006, 09:53 AM
I have a huge smoothie fan!

sorry, I never measure but this is easy to eyeball. In a blender, add a bit of flaxseed oil (optional - just for nutrition) about a cup of TJ's organic strawberry yogurt, a bannana, and some (maybe 1/2 cup? I just pour some in.) TJ's frozen mixed berries. Blend. If it's too think, you can thin with some milk.

Jo..
05-11-2006, 10:31 AM
I use almost the exact same recipe for my smoothies, except I use plain yogurt and fresh ground flax seed. I think you need a pretty decent blender to make a smoothie, it has to tear through a lot of frozen fruit. I'm not sure an immersion blender would be up to the task.

crl
05-11-2006, 10:34 AM
nt

Mamma2004
05-11-2006, 10:42 AM
DH and I drank smoothies for years and made them in a blender with plain yogurt, frozen berries, bananas, Fiber One cereal (believe it or not!) and ice cubes if we were planning to leave the smoothies out for a bit. We often added ground flax seed or wheat germ, too.

Now I make smoothies for DS and tend to improvise. I still use plain (full fat, organic) yogurt, fruit (frozen or fresh berries, bananas, freshly peeled pears or stone fruits, etc.), wheat germ and ice cubes. My immersion blender does the trick in seconds flat with no mess! DH was surprised when he saw me make DS a smoothie in literally under five mintes including clean-up.

Good luck!

cdlamis
05-11-2006, 09:32 PM
I love our "immersion mixer" (also not sure what it is really called- I call it the blender stick)! I have used it 3-4 times a week for the last 8 years and it still works great. Honestly, if I had to use a blender, I would hardly make smoothies.

I agree with all the other suggestions. My everyday staples are a banana, strawberries, frozen blueberries from TJ, flax seed oil, and yogurt. I also add 1/2- 1 cup of spinach leaves. It doesn't taste any different but it does make the color a little brownish.

HTH!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

jvs195
05-12-2006, 01:01 PM
These all sound great, but I have a dumb question. What kind of container are you using to make them in with the immersion blender? I've only used mine for soups in a pot. Also where do you get flaxseed oil? thanks

cdlamis
05-13-2006, 11:18 AM
>These all sound great, but I have a dumb question. What kind
>of container are you using to make them in with the immersion
>blender? I've only used mine for soups in a pot. Also where do
>you get flaxseed oil? thanks

I put all my ingredients into a large glass cup or a large plastic cup, blend with the blender stick and then drink from that same cup. It makes clean up SO easy. Then I run the blender stick under some water with soap and I'm done!
Here is an example of a blender stick:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_16/602-0264389-0091030?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0000AZUW9

I buy flaxseed oil in any health food grocery store (in the refrigerated section) or in the healthy section of my normal grocery store (again in the refrigerated section).

HTH~
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

jvs195
05-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Thank you!

Jo..
05-14-2006, 06:24 AM
You can also get a free sample of flax seed from here:

http://www.heintzmanfarms.com/freesample.htm

I grind mine fresh in my coffee grinder. :D You can compare it to the oil and see which one you like better.

kimbe
05-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Another option for using Flax seed is that you can also just buy flax seed and grind it up yourself. I buy a bag of it and then grind up some my blender and then keep it in the refrigerator. I am not sure which is more cost effective though.

emilys_mom
05-27-2006, 08:53 AM
My recipe is pretty similar and I got it from Dr. Sears baby book. He reco'd a ton of stuff in it that I don't use, but I do add a little soy protein powder and some flax seed oil as the PP suggested. Then just organic whole yogurt, apple or OJ and fruit.

kochh2
06-11-2006, 12:06 PM
hmm.. spinach, flax seeds... gotta remember that tomorrow AM... but here's my suggestion-- If your DS likes yogurt drinks, have you tried, or even heard of, Kefir?? It is remarkably good in smoothies, and if you can get over the "strangeness" factor of "growing your own"... it is a very excellent source of probiotics -- here's a link to a very informative site:
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

anyway, it is thinner than yogurt, and makes fantastic smoothies with way more health value than yogurt!!!! You can also find keir grains available from people who use them in your area- do a search on the web.. and anyone in CT can have some of mine... but anyway, kefir grains multiply...

yummmmmm... i had one for breakfast this AM, even made some into an ice pop for DS, and I just got an ice cream maker to make kefir/probiotic ice cream....

ok, enough rambiling about my new favorite breakfast!!

mamalia
06-12-2006, 04:22 PM
For a store bought alternative...

Yo Baby has a yogurt drink but I've only found them at Whole Foods.

urquie
06-12-2006, 11:32 PM
i was buying whole flax seed and blending it myself. we go through it pretty fast and i always make a mess so i've started buying the ground flax seed. i think the price difference is negligible but i'm much happier now that i don't have to blend it myself :)