PDA

View Full Version : freezing lasagna?

candybomiller
05-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Ok, if I want to make a lasagna and freeze it to eat at a later time, when do I do that?

1. Put the lasagna together without cooking the noodles and freeze it?

2. Cook the noodles, put the lasagna together and freeze?

3. Cook the pasta, the lasagna, then freeze?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. My guess would be #2, but I just don't know.

Thanks.

Mamma2004
05-11-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't cook my noodles (even the ones that are supposed to be cooked). I just use extra sauce so that there is enough liquid to cook the noodles while the lasagne is in the oven. Perfect every time.

I have frozen lasagne two ways, both "assembled" but not yet cooked and completely cooked. Both work fine but if you specifically want to freeze a whole lasagne, I say freeze it assembled and then cook it when you are ready to eat it.

If you have leftovers, wrap them in small portions and freeze.

Bon appetit!
Stephanie

eb1
05-11-2006, 12:16 PM
I don't freeze lasagna (our freezer isn't wide enough--hate it!) but sometimes prepare stuffed shells to freeze, which is the same concept. I do boil the shells first (just do not let them get really soft), and then assemble the dish and freeze as-is. Of course, it takes a really long time to cook when you're ready, but it should turn out fine. I add extra sauce when freezing too so that the longer cook time doesn't dry out the dish.

crl
05-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, I do no. 3, but sounds like it works out the other ways too. It does take forever to reheat in the oven so make sure to allow plenty of time.

nfowife
05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
I do #2. It takes about 1.5-2 hours to cook it from frozen at 350 (8x8 pan).

cbm
05-15-2006, 10:17 PM
I prefer no. 2 because it is the easiest, no room to forget anything, way to freeze lasagna.
Some people freeze lasagna by using the no. 1 and no. 3 method. If you decide to try those two methods, then keep in mind the following.
If you do it by not cooking the noodles, you need to make sure your sauce is liquid enough to cook the noodles. I am not talking watery, but you need the moisture to cook the pasta. It will work, but you may have to experiment at first.
If you cook the lasagna and then bake it before freezing it, you may end up with dried out lasagna. Again, experiment with the amount of sauce you use and the cooking time.
All three ways are doable though.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

kaylinsmommy2
05-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Exactly what we do. Never cooked the noodles (I swear it works even when the box says you need to). If I want to have a whole lasagne, I'd freeze it uncooked. But if I want them ready to eat, then I cook it and freeze in small portions with parchment paper in between them to separate them - it prevents uneven reheating. Sometimes I make a huge lasagne for dinner and freeze the leftovers in small portions.

But it sounds like there is more than one way to do this. I'm sure you can't go wrong no matter what.

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]