PDA

View Full Version : For kids- healthy chocolate cupcakes made with pumpkin!

cdlamis
05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I saw this idea in a parenting magazine and finally tried it. You mix a box of chocolate cake mix with a 15oz can of pumpkin puree and bake. That's it! You don't add the other ingredients like egg or oil- just the mix and pumpkin.

I served this at playgroup this week and the pickiest kid asked for seconds. His mom was amazed!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

dhano923
05-14-2006, 02:35 PM
I saw this recipe a long time ago but didn't really pay attention to it. I'm glad you posted this because I had been wondering what else I was supposed to add besides the pumpkin and I didn't know what the recipe was called. I wanted to make them for DS. Thanks!

justlearning
05-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks for posting this! I need to make cupcakes for a party, and one kid is allergic to eggs so this should work perfectly.

So, am I understanding it correctly--no need to mix water in either, just the puree and cake mix?

I live at very high altitude, so I think I'll try this out before the party just to make sure it works OK here too.

cdlamis
05-15-2006, 12:29 AM
>So, am I understanding it correctly--no need to mix water in
>either, just the puree and cake mix?

That is exactly how I did it- just the mix and pumpkin. No water, oil, eggs or anything else. Hopefully I did it right! :)

One tip- it was hard to smooth down the batter before baking so the cupcakes came out with cracked, lumpy tops but still tasted fine. I really didn't try to hard to smooth them since I figured it would even out during baking. It didn't. Now, I am not an expert baker so maybe this happens even with regular cupcakes? Next time I am going to use a wet spatula before baking.

HTH~ Let me know how you like it!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

jillc
05-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi Daniella,

This sounds great! Thanks for the healthier idea! Must try soon...

trentsmom
05-16-2006, 02:01 PM
My son loves these cupcakes! I use a yellow cake mix and add some ginger to give it some spice. Mini-muffins bake in about 10 minutes, and I store them in the freezer. Of course, it's hard not to eat a whole bunch when they're cooling on the counter! :)