PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a fool-proof homemade spaghetti sauce recipe?

momto2boys
05-16-2006, 07:49 AM
I would like to start making my own spaghetti sauce in order to cut some of the sodium in our diet. My previous attempts have been disastrous! I would prefer a meat-less sauce since I prefer to add baked meatballs once the sauce is done.

Thanks for your help,
Kathy

DS #1 - 12/01
DS #2 - 11/03
DS #3 - edd 7/06!

Jen841
05-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Sorry, not meatless, but here is the sauce I have been eatting since childhood:

2 lbs meat
2 large cans crushed tomatoes
2 large cans petite diced tomatoes
2 large cans tomatoe sauce
2 T basil
1 t sugar

cook meat, drain, add sauces and spices, simmer for 1-2 hours.

Nothing fancy, but it is good! I can get my brother to drive 2 hours for dinner if I make it.

annex
05-16-2006, 10:51 AM
I love this one, and am making it this week to accompany Chicken Parmesan. I do add some of optional the butter.

Simple Tomato Sauce (from Giada De Laurentiis)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_26919,00.html

Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 6 cups
User Rating: 5 Stars

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
4 to 6 basil leaves
2 dried bay leaves
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, optional

In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, and bay leaves and simmer covered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning. If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.

Add half the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.

If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6 months.

boolady
05-16-2006, 12:56 PM
I was just about to post this recipe! This is a great sauce, it freezes really well, and is good with or without adding meatballs, etc.