PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm drowning in eggs!

Sillygirl
05-19-2006, 08:28 PM
My CSA gives me a dozen farm-fresh eggs every week. I usually buy eggs once a month. They are fantastic tasting and Jonathan will eat a scrambled egg pretty often, but I don't want him to have one every day, or he'll get bored with them. My husband wants me to devil some - any good recipes? And I would love a nice recipe for egg salad.

kimbe
05-20-2006, 07:54 AM
What about making a batch of Creme Brulee or custard...that would eat up a lot of your eggs.

Here is a recipe that I have never made and I have never eaten it. (Mostly because I get chest pains reading the recipe :) ) I have seen people eating it though and the really seem to like it.

Italian Rice Pie I

9 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 pounds ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup cooked white rice
1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained

Beat eggs in very large bowl. Add sugar, mixing well. Stir in cheese and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Add heavy cream and stir. Fold in cooked rice and crushed pineapple. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch buttered pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for one hour. Check by inserting clean knife into center. If the pie is done, knife will come out clean. Top should be golden brown. Refrigerate until thoroughly cooled.

HTH!

brittone2
05-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Quiche or strata can at least be frozen into individual servings if you want to go that route.

I don't really have a deviled egg recipe...I just do yolks in a bowl mashed up, mayo, some mustard, mix that up in a bowl, then add a splash of white vinegar and some worsteshire sauce. Egg salad I just do chopped eggs, and in a separate bowl mix my mayo and mustard, a splash of vinegar, and add that to the eggs. Some fresh dill or chives is yummy this time of the year.

psophia17
05-22-2006, 12:11 AM
How about making crepe-like pancakes?

I don't have an exact recipe, but my Mom makes a very thin pancake batter in her blender with 6 eggs, about a cup of flour, a tsp or so of baking powder, some salt, and about a cup of milk. She blends it until it's about as thick as runny salad dressing (I couldn't think of a better comparison - sorry!), and then fry them up like you'd fry a crepe.

These are best served with butter and syrup (or sugar), and then rolled up so you can cut slices easily.

trumansmom
05-22-2006, 08:32 AM
My husband is the egg salad maker in our household, and I have no idea what all he puts in it. The one thing I know he adds that is YUMMY is curry. Lots and lots of curry. It is the best egg salad I have ever had in my life. I could even eat it when I was pregnant and all other egg dishes made me sick.

Hmmm... I think I'm going to go boil some eggs so he can make some tonight. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

pb&j
05-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Katie -

Here's my non-recipe for egg salad. I don't measure, I just kind of put stuff in till it looks (and tastes!) right.

Hardboiled eggs (about 1/2 dozen)
Duke's Mayonnaise (but you can you Hellman's or whatever you prefer)
Salt and pepper
Curry powder

Chop up the eggs, add a dollop of mayo (I use as little as I possibly can to make everything stick together), salt, pepper, and curry powder to taste.

ETA: I second the recommendation for creme brulee. It's not really that hard, but it is a sort of demanding dish, at least the recipe I use. I have a little blowtorch if you need to borrow it!

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

californiagirl
05-22-2006, 11:34 AM
I improvise when deviling eggs (and I'm weird and like Trader Joe's wasabi mayonnaise as part of the mayonnaise).

We like zucchini slice. This isn't our recipe, which comes from DH's family and is written in a hodge-podge of metric and imperial measurements. But it looks much alike except we put ham in ours... http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/ZucchiniSlice.asp

lisaCO
05-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Here's a slew of recipes that were in my local paper a few years ago. This collection has a recipe for every variety I have ever seen. Our favorites are Ken's Zatarain and Lindy's Milk, sugar and vinegar (DS calls them 'honey' eggs) Enjoy!

ETA fix some spacing issues...

Ma-Ma's Deviled Eggs
Makes 6 servings
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cut in half, and yolks mashed in a bowl
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
• Combine the thoroughly mashed yolks and mayonnaise, then stir in the mustard and vinegar.
• Stir in the salt and pepper, then taste and adjust if necessary. Stir well with a spoon to achieve a creamy texture.
• Fill the whites evenly with the mixture and garnish each egg half with paprika.
Nutritional information per serving: 122 cal., 10 g fat (2 g sat.), 215 mg chol., 1 g carb., 222 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Deviled Eggs, 50 Recipes From Simple To Sassy, Debbie Moose, The Harvard Common Press

Dippy Eggs
Makes 6 servings
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cut in half, and yolks mashed in a bowl
5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon whipped cream cheese
2 teaspoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon grated onion with juice
1/2 teaspoon grated garlic with juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for garnish
• Combine the thoroughly mashed yolks with the cream cheese and mayonnaise.
• Add the grated onion and garlic and their juices to the mixture and blend in the pepper. Taste, then season with salt. • Fill the whites evenly with the mixture and garnish each egg half with pepper.
Nutritional information per serving: 121 cal., 10 g fat (4 g sat.), 224 mg chol., 1 g carb., 206 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 7 g pro.
- Deviled Eggs, 50 Recipes From Simple To Sassy (Debbie Moose, The Harvard Common Press)

Jacque's Apple cider vinegar, bacon
Makes 12 servings
12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cut in half
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon plain old yellow mustard
Enough mayonnaise to make eggs moist (1/4 to ½ cup)
3 slices of bacon, cooked very crisp
• Mix all ingredients. • Crumble bacon into the egg yolk mixture.
• Stir all ingredients together, then fill egg whites. Top with paprika, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving: 111 cal., 9 g fat (2 g sat.), 215 mg chol., 1 g carb., 103 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Jacque Crick

Sam's Parsley flakes, hot pepper sauce
Makes 12 servings
12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cut in half
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dry parsley flakes
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Couple of dashes of hot pepper sauce
3/4 cup regular mayonnaise and Miracle Whip Salad Dressing (mixed together)
• In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mash yolks with a fork until crumbly. (Mix by hand.)
• Add dry mustard, salt, pepper and parsley and mix with fork. • Add vinegar and hot pepper sauce.
• Add mayonnaise/salad dressing mixture a little bit at a time until egg yolk mixture is of paste consistency.
• Pour into plastic bag; cut hole in one corner and pipe into egg halves. • Sprinkle each half with paprika. • Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional information per serving: 148 cal., 12 g fat (3 g sat.), 217 mg chol., 3 g carb., 211 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Sam Savajian c

Ken's Zatarain's Creole Seasoning
Makes 12 servings
12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut in half
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
2 teaspoons butter
Pinch salt and pepper
1 tablespoon spice blend such as, Zatarain's Creole Seasoning, Paul Prudhomme's Magic, Emeril's Essense, plus more to garnish
• Combine egg yolks with remaining ingredients and mash to a uniform consistency.
• Pipe into egg halves and dust tops with spice blend.
Nutritional information per serving: 151 cal., 13 g fat (3 g sat.), 219 mg chol., 1 g carb., 185 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Ken Stone

Suzanne's Curry powder, sour cream Makes 6 servings
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled,cut in half
1 teaspoon salt , White pepper, garlic salt or powder
3 teaspoons mayonnaise
3 teaspoons sour cream
1 squirt yellow mustard
1/8 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
• Mash the yolks to crumbly stage with a fork, add salt, white pepper, a little garlic salt or powder to taste and equal amounts of mayonnaise and sour cream. • Mix with a fork. Add a squirt of mustard.
• Add more sour cream if it's too dry. Add curry powder to taste.
• Spoon it into the whites and top with either black olive, green olive, sweet midget pickle, caviar or paprika.
Nutritional information per serving: 98 cal., 8 g fat (2 g sat.), 214 mg chol., 1 g carb., 464 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Suzanne Staples

Denise's Sweet pickle relish
Makes 12 servings
2 big dollops Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, drained (add more or less to taste)
• Mash up egg yolks with fork and add all above ingredients, mixing until smooth. Fill egg halves with mixture using just a spoon.
• Place the filled egg halves on a plate and sprinkle with paprika, using just enough for color.
Nutritional information per serving: 103 cal., 8 g fat (2 g sat.), 214 mg chol., 2 g carb., 106 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Denise York

Lindy's Sugar, milk, vinegar
Makes 12 servings
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard or 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 teaspoons sugar
Milk, as needed
• Mash together all ingredients with a fork and add a bit of milk to smooth the mix if needed.
• Fill the egg white halves and sprinkle with paprika and/or garnish with parsley, if desired.
• Let the mixture sit in the refrigerator at least an hour so that the flavors will meld.
Nutritional information per serving: 98 cal., 7 g fat (2 g sat.), 213 mg chol., 1 g carb., 138 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Lindy McNamee

Becky's Melted butter, sugar
Makes 8 servings
8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut in half
2 teaspoons melted butter
2 teaspoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
• Mix all ingredients together and fill egg halves.
Nutritional information per serving: 98 cal., 7 g fat (2 g sat.), 215 mg chol., 1 g carb., 79 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Becky Puetz

Gigi's Pickle relish, Worcestershire sauce
Makes 6 servings
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cut in half
Miracle Whip
Brown mustard
Sweet pickle relish
Worcestershire sauce
Sweet paprika, for garnish
• Add all ingredients to taste. Sprinkle with paprika.
Nutritional information per serving: 124 cal., 10 g fat (2 g sat.), 215 mg chol., 2 g carb., 125 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Gigi Boniface

Linda's Ranch dressing, pickle juice
Makes 12 servings
12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled,cut in half
1 heaping tablespoon yellow mustard
Small squirt of ranch dressing
Three shakes of white wine vinegar
Tiny squirt of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of bread and butter pickle juice (no pickles)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Two to three dashes of salt and a dash of pepper
Olives, pimientos and paprika, for garnish
• Scoop the yolks into a small bowl.
• Mash the yolks with a sturdy fork to a grainy consistency (less than pea-sized). Add all ingredients, except mayo, one at a time, mixing as you add.
• The filling should be a thick, smooth paste; if not, add another dash of either white wine vinegar or pickle juice.
• Add the mayonnaise and stir briskly. You can adjust texture with the mayonnaise or ranch dressing. It should be creamy but stay in shape in the egg.
• Spoon filling into egg. Place a slice of a pimento or olive on top of each one, and sprinkle with paprika.
Nutritional information per serving: 153 cal., 13 g fat (3 g sat.), 217 mg chol., 1 g carb., 208 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Linda Holder

Madolyn's Rice vinegar Makes 15 servings
15 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cut in half
2 heaping tablespoons butter
Miracle Whip
Rice vinegar, or other mild vinegar
• While yolk is still warm, add butter and flake with fork.
• Add the Miracle Whip and blend until fairly smooth and somewhat thick.
• Add vinegar slowly and mix until the right consistency.
Nutritional information per serving: 118 cal., 10 g fat (3 g sat.), 210 mg chol., 1 g carb., 112 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Madolyn Paroske
-

Trudy's Horseradish
Makes 6 servings
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cut in half
2 tablespoons salad dressing or mayonnaise
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon horseradish
Paprika, for garnish
• Mix all ingredients together. Sprinkle with paprika.
Nutritional information per serving: 113 cal., 9 g fat (2 g sat.), 215 mg chol., 1 g carb., 191 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.
- Submitted by Trudy Wolf

Sillygirl
05-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Holy cow, that's going to keep us going all summer with all these eggs! Thanks SO much!