PDA

View Full Version : Please Share Your Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

kimbe
05-23-2006, 01:53 PM
I am looking for a "gourmet" chocolate chip cookie recipe. I use the Nestle Tollhouse recipe and it just isn't cutting it for me anymore. I would like a cookie that rises a little more --- I'm tired of flat cookies. Chewy and rich are also good qualities too! :) I am making them for SIL's graduation party since my in-laws will have desserts that even I won't eat!! LOL!

TIA!

linsei
05-23-2006, 02:32 PM
The perfect chocolate chip cookie is quite elusive! I like the same qualities in a cookie as you mentioned. I'm anxious to see other responses, but the best I've done so far is just a modification on the Nestle recipe. I add an extra 1/4 c flour, use Ghiradelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips, Mexican vanilla, and of course - real butter. The 60% chips are really rich by themselves and the Mexican vanilla just seems to have a richer flavor. The result is much better than the original recipe, IMO.

Hopefully you'll get some other recipes to try!

ETA - I had to lol, b/c my IL's make gross desserts too. I usually offer to bring dessert when we go there ;) Dessert is quite important to me!

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

juliasmom05
05-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Kim,

If you are not looking for healthy cookies, the ones that I used to bring to work are made with the recipe the comes with Crisco Butter :-).

I add a touch more flour than the recipe to make them more cake-like. I also use real vanilla, and good chocolate. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

kimbe
05-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi Marci!

Ooh, I would like the recipe. I actually thought that I had it, but I don't. They are so yummy!

They don't have to be healthy. I can't use healthy and in laws in the same sentence. In fact, if they were good for you -- the wouldn't eat them. Let's just say I am not looking forward to what I like to call the "lunch meat buffet" that they offer for lunch. Sigh.

juliasmom05
05-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Here is the recipe.

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies (from Crisco)

¾ cup (3/4 stick) Butter Flavor Crisco (or Regular Crisco)
1-1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 Tbl milk
1 Tbl vanilla
1 egg
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
¾ tsp baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Heat oven to 375
Combine Crisco, light brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Beat egg into creamed mixture.
Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into creamed mixture just until blended. Stir in chocolate pieces and nuts.
Drop by rounded tablespoons 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes for chewy or 11-13 minutes for crisp. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies and cool completely.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

I tweak it just a bit. I have always used the butter flavored crisco and pure vanilla (Madagascar or Mexican), which makes all the difference in the world. I also use walnuts instead of chocolate chips. To make them thicker, I add a couple of Tbls. of flour after everything is mixed up. I don't usually measure but if you add too much they become dry. Bake around 10 minutes, 11 if you have frozen the dough.

If you bring enough cookies, you won't have to eat the "lunch meat buffet".

edited to credit Crisco for recipe

Marci

kimbe
05-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks Marci!

JTsMom
05-23-2006, 06:05 PM
I second the Ghiradelli chips- YUMMY!

brittone2
05-24-2006, 02:58 PM
A friend taught me the trick of using half butter, and half shortening to get the perfect combo of softness/texture/taste.

I use Spectrum shortening, which is non hydrogenated, if you want to make it a wee bit healthier...otherwise just indulge and enjoy ;)

urquie
05-24-2006, 11:39 PM
eta - a recipe clarification

here is BEST EVER c.c.c. recipe - seriously (this is what other people say... and i happen to agree)! this is a recipe that everyone asks for. not just friends, but all the contractors that have been in and out of my house for the last 3 months (i like to keep them happy so they'll do the best job possible :)). gotta love it when i guy is willing to copy down a recipe!

a couple tips...
- melting the butter will add a better and stronger flavor to the cookie.
- chilling the dough will keep the cookie from spreading too thin (however i usually cook some without chilling. they still taste great, but are thinner).
- add the vanilla at the end (with the choc chips). i can't remember why, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Engagement Cookies

Cream together
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 ½ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg

Mix then add to the wet ingredients
2 cups unbleached flour
1 ts baking soda
½ ts salt
1 ts cinnamon (I like a little extra)
1 ts ginger (I like a little extra)

Fold in
1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
1 12oz package chocolate chips (I like a little extra)
1 ts vanilla extract

Powdered sugar

Make 1 inch balls and roll in powdered sugar. Chill for several hours before cooking or freeze and save for later. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes at 375. Remove from oven BEFORE they look done, while still poofy and not too browned.

for something a little different here is my mom's doctored version of my recipe that adds oatmeal, white chocolate, and coconut.

Freeze and Bake CCC’s
(these do not have to be frozen - we just like to pull cookie dough out of the freezer on a moments notice :))

Beat together:
1 C butter (2 sticks), softened
¾ C brown sugar
¾ C white sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla

Stir in:
2 C flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 t. ginger
1 t. cinnamon
1 C chocolate chips
1 C white chips
1 C coconut
1 C oatmeal, blenderized

Roll in powdered sugar, place on cookie sheet and freeze for 30 minutes, put in zip-lock baggie and store in freezer.

To bake: place on cookie sheet and put in 350 degree oven (temp for convection oven) for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on how defrosted they are.

Alys the Cat
05-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Mmmmm...these both look yummy! :)

On the second recipe, is two cubes of butter the same as two tablespoons? I don't want to mess up something as important as a cookie!

urquie
05-25-2006, 05:55 PM
you will need to use 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter.

i'm glad you saw that and asked! my mom just typed it up quickly for us to reference. i had better edit the post for clarification.

it's so frustrating to mess up cookie recipes - i forgot to add the sugar to ginger snaps one time. and didn't realize it until after i shared with our neighbors :)

Corie
06-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I found this recipe in an old issue of Real Simple magazine
(February 2005). It is on page 132.

The author (Cynthia Gorney) said that everyone loves these cookies and asks her to make them. So, I made sure to keep her recipe!

Cynthia Gorney's Chocolate Chip Recipe

1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter (don't toss the wrappers!)
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup old fashioned (or rolled) oats
1/2 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1.5 tsp. pure vanilla extract
12-ounce bag dark chocolate chips (get the best quality you can find!)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (if you want them really crispy, set the oven at 400 degrees).
Use the butter wrappers to grease 2 cookie sheets. Combine the flour,
oats, cereal, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.

2. In a second, large bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Gradually stir flour mixture into the butter-sugar mixture.
Stir in chocolate chips. Drop batter by rounded tablespoons, not teaspoons (use a small ice-cream scoop), about 2 inches apart onto prepared pans.
Bake until light golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Use a spatula to remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.

urquie
06-11-2006, 05:23 PM
i just made these and they are yummy - dh loved them and said "this is the kind of cookie i can't stop eating :) the grapenuts adds a really nice little crunch.

next time i make them i'd add a little extra flour (assuming the dough seemed too wet/sticky again). they spread out really flat. i think the flour should help that a bit. also i might chill them first to see if that slows the spread.

Corie
06-11-2006, 10:08 PM
I've never made them before! I just saved the recipe
since they sounded really good. :)

Let me know if you make any changes (adding flour) and
how much! I'm not a very good cook or baker!

urquie
06-12-2006, 11:36 PM
i probably won't make them again for a while... i like to change things up a bit :) but when i do, i'll add 1/4 cup more flour (assuming it still looks really sticky/wet like it did the first time). they still tasted great - just spread too much. i think i might also add a 1/4+ coconut. maybe even use butterscotch chips instead of chocolate. hhmmm... if i made those changes they almost be a different cookie... and i could make them sooner!!

kedss
06-14-2006, 04:51 PM
My dad, DS and I made really great oatmeal, Choc chip and raisin cookies today, and I don't really like cookies.:) We used the Classic Oatmeal Cookie Recipe from the Joy of Cooking Cookbook and added 1/2 bag of choc chips to the recipe.

Corie
06-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Can I come live with you?? :)

Corie
06-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Laura Bush's "Texas Governor's Mansion Cowboy Cookies"

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon. baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sweetened flake coconut
2 cups chopped pecans (8 ounces)

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 F.

2. Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl.

3. In 8-quart bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugars; beat to combine, 2 minutes.

4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla.

5. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans.

6. For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart.

7. Bake in 350 F oven 17 to 20 minutes, until edges are lightly browned; rotate sheets halfway through. Remove cookies from rack to cool.

urquie
06-15-2006, 04:30 PM
only if you'll help me eat all the cookies :) hmm... now that cookies are on my mind and dd is sleeping... i may just have to make some more!

kep
06-18-2006, 07:22 PM
These cookies are awesome! My MIL makes about 8-10 dozzen of these at Christmas time every year. Yummy. :)

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)
And a new baby due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://bd.lilypie.com/8dPKm4/.png

http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

Lucia
07-06-2006, 05:44 AM
Marci,
Thanks for the GREAT recipe...these were a big hit in our house tonight!

juliasmom05
07-06-2006, 09:09 AM
My pleasure :-). Glad you enjoyed them.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

danagee
07-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Okay, so I made these and it's now my new standard choco chip cookie recipe.
It was worth going out to get the Grape Nuts for! We couldnt stop eating them.
Mine also spread out too much so next time I'll try to remember to add a little more flour.
Dana