PDA

View Full Version : cool cupcake alternatives for daycare birthday

kaylinsmommy2
05-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Does anyone have cool ideas for daycare treats on your child's birthday? A friend told me that DCPs dislike cupcakes because they are so messy and suggested baking cupcakes in ice cream cones to look like ice cream. But isn't that still messy, too? I could also do something totally different, like a big bowl of watermelon or something, which I'm sure the kids would like, too, but it isn't like a cake. Any other ideas? Or should I just make the darn cupcakes and stop worrying about this? :)

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

AmyZ
05-28-2006, 08:54 PM
I love doing mini-muffins or mini- cupcakes. Leave off the wrappers and just spray the pan well enough with oil or canola spray. Cupcakes in ice cream cones is fun, but I think the cones might be a bit of a mess.

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

alleyoop
05-29-2006, 01:04 PM
How about big frosted sugar cookies? I LOVE AugustMom's recipe:

Sugar Cookies
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1. Beat eggs for 5 minutes.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order given.

3. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Roll somewhat thick. Cut in shapes

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes, just until set, not brown.

5. Frost and sprinkle with colored sugar.

This is actually my SIL's recipe. I have never been a very good sugar cookie baker, but DS was really into making them and SIL's cookies are always good. This recipe is great. And, don't be afraid to roll the dough thick.

Roll them really thick and then decortate with the old buttercream icing recipe (1/2 cup butter sofened, slash milk, 1tsp vanilla and enough powdered sugar to make it the right consistency ~3cups). Yummy!

daisymommy
05-29-2006, 08:34 PM
My favorite thing when I was a kid was when my mom would bake cake mix in ice-cream cones, to make it look like ice cream in them. You could put just a tad bit of frosting on top. It would still be less messy than cupcakes.

Sometimes boxes of ice-cream cones have the directions for them on the back of the box.

zoestargrove
05-30-2006, 01:04 PM
what about rice crispy squares or brownies?