PDA

View Full Version : ISO Broccoli slaw/Ramen noodle salad recipe

trumansmom
05-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I love this salad, but have never seen a recipe anywhere. Can someone help me out?

TIA-
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

juliasmom05
05-30-2006, 08:28 AM
I like this one from Wegmans.

Broccoli Slaw
Serves 4 - 6 Active Time: 10 min Total Time: 1 hour 10 min Chill Time: 1 hour

1/2 cup Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced thin
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 pkg (12 oz) Manns Broccoli Cole Slaw (shredded broccoli stalks)

To Make dressing: Whisk mayonnaise, sugar, paprika, and garlic salt in large bowl until smooth. Add onion and raisins.

Toss broccoli slaw with dressing; chill at least 1 hour before serving.

Chef Tip: Can be made 1 day ahead and chilled.

Recipe featured in Wegmans Menu Magazine, Summer 2006, pg. 48.

Nutrition Info: Each serving (1 1/4 cup) contains 340 calories, 32g carbohydrate (5g fiber), 3g protein, 22g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol and 250mg sodium.

ETA: Sorry, I need to learn to read more carefully before I post since you were looking for a recipe for broccoli slaw/Ramen noodle salad not just broccoli slaw :-).

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

MayB
05-30-2006, 09:31 AM
This is one of my favorite summer salads. It's so easy and everyone loves it. I'll double it for a large group. The original recipe called for 1/2 C oil and 1/4 C vinegar; I changed the portions. See what works for you. HTH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Broccoli Slaw

Rinse and drain one package of broccoli slaw.
Crush noodles from one package ramen noodles, save flavor packet. Set aside.
Melt 1 T butter in frying pan on medium heat. Stir in 1/3 C sunflower seeds and 1/3 C slivered almonds. Cook until until golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside.

Dressing (whisk together until well blended):
1/3 C olive oil
1/3 C apple cider or balsamic vinegar (the recipe I have calls for apple cider but I like balsamic)
Flavor packet from ramen noodles
1/4 C sugar

Mix together broccoli slaw, crushed noodles, sunflower seeds, almonds and dressing. Chill before serving. It usually tastes best if you allow at least 24 hours to chill.

trumansmom
05-30-2006, 09:50 AM
No worries - that sounds wonderful! I'll be trying it as well. :)

Jeanne

trumansmom
05-30-2006, 09:51 AM
That's the one! Thank you so much! I know what we'll be having for dinner tonight. :)

Jeanne

Alys the Cat
06-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Just wondering if a particular flavor of ramen noodles (chicken? oriental?) works best. I'll have to try this!

oliviasmomma
06-01-2006, 05:17 PM
We love this salad! I either use oriental or chicken flavor depending if there are any vegetarians present. I also substitute 2-3 T sesame oil for some of the olive and add black pepper.

It seems to come out tasty any way you make it, though!

octmom
06-18-2006, 04:06 PM
I'd never heard of this salad before reading this thread, but I had Paula Deen on this morning and she made it. Here's the recipe she used (from the Food Network site):

Broccoli Cole Slaw Recipe courtesy Linda Fuller and Christine Lakhani
See this recipe on air Tuesday Jun. 20 at 4:00 PM ET/PT.

Show: Paula's Home Cooking
Episode: Rainy Day Picnic
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 10 to 12 servings

2 bags (3-ounce) Ramen Noodle Soup in Oriental (other flavors will work, too)
3/4 stick butter
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 bags (12-ounce) bags broccoli cole slaw (in the bagged salad section of the grocery store)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
Chopped green onions, for garnish
Dressing Mix:
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup brown or white sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 ramen noodle seasoning packet

Put the ramen noodles in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin while melting butter in a large skillet over low/medium heat. Add the crushed noodles and slivered almonds to the skillet and saute, stirring occasionally (keep temperature at low/medium heat). Meanwhile, whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Place the shredded broccoli into bowl and toss with the noodles, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Garnish with chopped green onions.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

urquie
06-19-2006, 06:05 PM
costco is now selling a broccoli slaw salad with some packs of dressing but it doesn't include any ramen noodles. we liked it enough at a party that i plan on buying some next time i'm there.