PDA

View Full Version : Help, need salsa recipe

mamato1
06-07-2006, 03:24 PM
I keep on thinking that salsa should be easy. But, for some reason I have trouble with it. Anybody have a foolproof recipe??

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

kedss
06-07-2006, 03:56 PM
we do one that has:

tomatoes
onions
celantro
jalapenos(or whatever hot pepper you like)

eta:
lime juice!

we use one of the mini manual choppers to chop the tomatoes and onions, then finely knife chop the peppers and celantro. Take the seeds out of the peppers before you chop them up. Use as much or as little celantro and peppers as you like.

We like the roma tomatoes, and you can use whatever onions you like, we like the vidalia onions. :)

hth!

boolady
06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
ETA: Sounds just like the PP's recipe.

This is a very basic recipe that I got from a Martha Stewart cookbook and love it. It just tastes very fresh. Good luck finding something you like!

Tomato Salsa (makes 2 cups-- I almost always double it)
2 ripe tomatoes (approx. 10 oz. total)
1/4 c. finely diced yellow onion
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
salt & pepper

Slice tomatoes in half and scrape seeds and liquid into a bowl. Strain out seeds and reserve liquid. Coarsely chop tomato halves into pieces. Place chopped tomatoes into bowl with reserved liquid, add onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Jo..
06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
(From the makers of America's Test Kitchen)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe and make it all the time. AMAZING salsa. Although, it really takes closer to two or three minutes ;).

ETA: I usually double my recipe too. It's gone in no time.

Cooks Illustrated One Minute Salsa

Makes about 2 cups

1 small jalapeƱo chile or 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/2 small onion peeled and root end removed
2 small cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon table salt
pinch ground black pepper
4 teaspoons lime juice
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained

Pulse all ingredients except tomatoes in food processor until minced, about five 1-second pulses, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
Add tomatoes and pulse until roughly chopped, about two 1-second pulses.

mamato1
06-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys, off to the kitchen I go!

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

brittone2
06-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Yum. I LOOOOVE salsa with cilantro in this. We have most of these ingredients on hand most of the time...i'll have to try this :) Thanks!!

I often do a fresh salsa...just chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, avocado, salt, pepper, lime juice, and I *think* my recipe also calls for a touch of vinegar? It is potent but IMO yummy.

bostonsmama
06-13-2006, 01:15 PM
I know you've probably already started your experiments, but I find that a lot of fresh salsas taste like pico de gallo instead of the stuff people are accustomed to at restaurants or in the store. B/c of this I like to add a couple teaspoons of tomato paste to desired consistency. Last year, we had an abundant harvest of Roma tomatoes and we seeded and diced 7 of them by hand, minced the vidalia onion w/ a processor (2/3cup), added only half a jalepeno, tsp fresh minced garlic and a pinch of salt, black pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper and hot sauce. When it got really juicy (water in onions, tomatoes, etc), we drained it into a cup, whisked in the tomato paste, and added it back and chilled overnight. It was to die for!

Better Boy tomatoes from the garden also work well for this, although you need to squeeze out the sides and water after slicing them in half.

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg