PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream recipes?

oliviasmomma
06-09-2006, 03:09 PM
I just bought an ice cream maker at a yard sale today ($5, never used!) and would love suggestions. Thanks!

psophia17
06-09-2006, 03:45 PM
lol....how about I suggest you send it to me so I can make lemon ice?

There's a recipe not too far down on this page, I think...good stuff, that is...

ctmom
06-09-2006, 04:57 PM
We have a cuisinart ice cream maker and I go to their website for ice cream and sorbet recipes. Here is a link... http://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/recipe_group.php?recipe_group_tag=desserts

Enjoy!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

urquie
06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
not ice cream but eaier to make with an ice cream maker...

Strawberry Ice Viennese (or Cranberry Ginger)

Make a syrup with 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3 1/2 cups cold water, and 1/2 cup apricot brandy and boil for 5 or 6 minutes. Cool slightly and add a generous pinch of salt, 2 cups strained strawberry juice, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, and a generous 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind. Chill and then freeze. (I think I used cranberry juice instead of strawberry and added about 2 teaspoons of fresh grated ginger.)

i did the cranberry ginger version and it was awesome. super refreshing and yummy.

brittone2
06-09-2006, 10:13 PM
DH and I have tossed around the idea of buying an ice cream maker more than once. I read a review of a bunch in Smart Money magazine and of course the one they picked was like 200 bucks. I can buy a lot of ice cream already made for that price (I know, but not as fun or healthy ;) )

I don't think they gave the Cuisinart great reviews, but I know a few people that have been pretty happy with theirs.

I think actually Ben and Jerry did the review for the magazine, so maybe they are just ultra picky ;)

kimbe
06-10-2006, 04:01 PM
We have a cuisinart and we really like it. This is the one that we have http://www.makeicecream.com/cuisicecream1.html We got it for our wedding and didn't think that we would make enough ice cream to justify spending a lot of money. (You keep the bowl in the freezer so it is always ready to go.) The ice cream comes out really well too. The more fat you use the better it is. Unfortunately, we (I) have to use skim milk and half and half so it is much runnier (sp?) than what you would buy at the store. However, it is MUCH yummier! I throw DH a bone once in awhile and make it with whole milk and heavy cream and it is really great -- even though I have chest pains while I am making it! ;)

If I had to buy another --- this is the one that I would get!

HTH!

brittone2
06-10-2006, 09:39 PM
That's great to know!!!

ctmom
06-11-2006, 06:30 AM
we have the same one as the pp. What I like most about it is we know exactly what is going into the ice cream or sorbet. I bought it for dh last year for father's day and have used it a handful of times. the one I bought came with an extra canister. The thing I don't like about it is it doesn't come with a sealable top for when the ice cream is in the freezer, so if we don't eat it quickly, it starts to get freezer burn because we just put saran wrap on it. Mostly we have used it when we are having company and decide on ice cream for dessert and then usually eat it all!

To the previous poster, $5 is a steal!! Congrats!

HTH!
Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Corie
06-11-2006, 08:50 AM
We have this ice cream recipe book and it is great!
We actually made some ice cream about a week ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0894803123/qid=1150033693/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-9594544-1045551?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34115.jpg

kimbe
06-11-2006, 04:34 PM
It IS nice knowing what is going into the ice cream --- only the good stuff!!! I agree about not being able to keep the bowl in the freezer with the ice cream. We scoop it out when it is done into a gladware container and keep it in there. The ice cream actually hardens up a bit if you freeze it for awhile after making it.

brittone2
06-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Again, thanks for the info. I'm tempted ;)

urquie
06-12-2006, 11:24 PM
the magazine cooking light will have a section on homemade icecream coming out in next month's july issue

oliviasmomma
06-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, I am going to try to pick one and try it today!

Also, for those of you looking for an ice cream maker, there was a great review on Slate Magazine a while back. I'll try to find and post the link.

Here it is:

http://www.slate.com/id/2121378/

juliasmom05
06-13-2006, 03:07 PM
This is one of my favorites as well :-).

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

jgriffin
07-22-2006, 02:27 PM
It's hot hot hot!!! I was going to start an ice cream thread, but I'll just bump this one up and add a recipe. I made this last year and it is really tasty. I believe it is from the Cuisinart website.

Dark Chocolate Sorbet

4 cups water
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cups brown sugar, packed
2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Combine the water and sugars in a 33/4 quart non-reactive saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the cocoa and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the vanilla. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Stir the chilled mixture. Turn the machine on; pour mixture into the freezer bowl and let mix until thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes. The sorbet will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the sorbet to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

eta: and of course I don't have enough cocoa powder here at home. Waaaaah! :(

elliput
07-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Ooo, that sounds really good! I wonder if I have two cups of cocoa powder. Hmm....

kimbe
07-22-2006, 07:37 PM
That sounds so yummy. I will have to make it once I buy some more cocoa powder!

muskiesusan
07-23-2006, 11:48 AM
No recipes, but I bought these ice creams sandwich molds at the Williams Sonoma store and the kids enjoyed making them. I am thinking we will be having an ice cream party soon!

http://tinyurl.com/qke8h

We have a Krups Ice Cream maker and have really enjoyed it over the years. I also love knowing what goes into the ice cream and it gives us something to do with the kids!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04