PDA

View Full Version : Flax seed and other spices

SquamLake
06-14-2006, 01:15 PM
What do you use to grind whole flax seeds? I'm intersted in specific product information. I just bought a bag of flax seed for DD, but have no experience with flax seed. Also, once the bag is open, what is the shelf life (assuming storing in zip lock bag). While I'm posting, when did you start introducing spices (what kinds) to your DC?

Jo..
06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
You made a good choice, we switched from oil to seeds last year because they are better for you and cheaper, though slightly less convenient.

Whole Flaxseed will store for over 2 years as long it is stored in a low humidity area and out of direct sunlight. Once the Flax Seed has been ground it should be stored in a refrigerator or freezer. We keep ours whole in an opaque tupperware near the coffe grinder, which is where we grind it!

You can get an inexpensive coffee grinder for under $10 and it will work just fine. 3 or 4 one second pulses, and you're good to go! Just Froogle "coffee grinder"; there are a bunch to choose from.

kimbe
06-14-2006, 06:42 PM
I use my blender to grind whole flax seeds. I put enough for the week in, hit grind and they are ready to go in seconds. I keep them in a tupperware in the fridge. Easy as pie!

We started introducing spices to DD around 10.5 months. She never did baby food and has refused to eat anything from a spoon from day one. We were giving her bland versions of what we were eating until one day we were having soft tacos and we gave her some because we were tired of making her special stuff. We felt that she would have to start eating the same things as us sooner or later. She tolerates our seasoned food just fine. We aren't heavy seasoners overall, but DD does fine. The spices that we use the most are basil, paprika, parsley, oregano, garlic, crushed red pepper, cummin, salt, pepper. There are others, but I can't remember. She does fine with them.

HTH!

SquamLake
06-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Thank you for the tips! I really appreciate it.

mudder17
06-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Jo, when you said that you switched fom oil to seeds, I assume you mean you switched from flaxseed oil as a nutritional supplement to the actual seeds? What do you use the seeds for?

Thanks!

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 27 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

Jo..
06-16-2006, 08:11 PM
I eat a couple tablespoons daily in my fruit and yogurt, dh adds them to his smoothies. You have to grind them for the full nutritional benefit, and fresh ground is better (they start to oxidize and lose nutrients after being ground). Whole seeds won't be utilized by your body, and if you buy pre-ground, many of the nutrients will be lost. We used to add flax oil to everything until we started reading up on it, then we switched. A bag of flax seeds is pretty cheap, too!

Ground flax seeds are a great source of Omega 3 and Omega 6 oil, plus (unlike the oil), they are rich in both protein and fiber. They have many different vitamins and minerals.

"Flax seeds contain over a hundred times more lignin than its closest competitor. Lignins have received a lot of attention lately because of possible anti-cancer properties, especially in relation to breast and colon cancer. Lignins seem to flush excess estrogen out of the body, thereby reducing the incidence of estrogen-linked cancers, such as breast cancer. Besides anti-tumor properties, lignins also seem to have antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties."

kimbe
06-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Aren't they amazing? It still amazes me that a few tablespoons a day of something with little taste -- little cost -- and little effort is SO good for you. I eat them essentially for the Omega 3, but the fringe benefits are oh so wonderful!

(Oh, whole seeds aren't utilized by your body because it cannot digest them --- learned that from changing DD!!!)

Hooray for flax seed!

bostonsmama
06-16-2006, 11:19 PM
How much should one pay per lb for whole flax seed? I have a feeling our local grocery store would love to rip me off just b/c it's good for you, even though it's probably a cheap & plentiful grain. Do you buy in bulk (per lb) or premeasured bag? Where do you buy your flax seed? We don't have a Whole Foods near us.

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

Jo..
06-17-2006, 05:56 AM
>(Oh, whole seeds aren't utilized by your body because it
>cannot digest them --- learned that from changing DD!!!)

That's the FUN SCIENCE EXPERIMENT of the day ;)!

Jo..
06-17-2006, 06:13 AM
I buy my steel cut oats, almonds, and flax seeds all online because they cost too much locally, if I can even find them, and they probably aren't very fresh here either. I buy a lot and store everything in my chest freezer until I'm ready for them.

Whenever I'm about to run out, I do a quick lap around the internet to see who might have everything I need on sale at the moment, but in general I buy from Vitaglo (www.vitaglo.com).

They have 1 pound bags of organic flax seeds for $1.81. Free shipping on orders over $50, but don't order 28 bags of flax seeds ;) because they last a long time. They sell all kinds of neat whole foods along with their vitamins.

http://www.vitaglo.com/6260.html

Brown or Golden have the same nutritional benefits.

kimbe
06-18-2006, 08:22 PM
LOL!

bostonsmama
06-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Thank you so much for posting, Jo. All of your sources helped me find a good deal. I actually found a health food center that I have been walking past for 5 years on DH & I's nightly walks. I decided to check it out and they sold it in bulk (organic whole golden flax seed) for $1.67/lb. I asked them how fresh it was (how often they open a new bag) and they said they go through a 10lb sack per week...so I was confident of the freshness. So, I just wanted to thank you b/c I wouldn't have known what was a good price or freshness if you hadn't responded.

I just tried it out today on a natural peanut butter and preserve on whole grain sandwich! So far so good.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg