PDA

View Full Version : Help me teach DH to cook so I don't starve!

Jenn98
06-15-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm on bed rest, and so I'm at the mercy of DH for food. Unfortunately, I am the chef in the family. DH can make pb&j and he can grill meat. Other than that, he's helpless in the kitchen. He just learned how to make pancakes three weeks ago (he went through two pans, two batches of batter and three spatulas before he cooked enough for the two of us!). He gets frustrated easily while cooking and is feeling very overwhelmed by suddenly having to care for the house, our 10 month old DD and me all by himself. So, I need some super easy dinner ideas for a beginner cook. He likes the idea of the crock pot, the grill and he's really into smoothies right now :) We like all kinds of food: regular american, mexican, chinese, italian, etc. So, any ideas?

kedss
06-15-2006, 12:05 PM
how about chili or pot roast in the slow cooker?
salads
lasagna(spinach)
roasted chicken(he could also grill chicken thighs)
baked potatoes on the grill
cotn on the cob on the grill
vegies on the grill

I would have him get good at a couple of easy things before he goes too crazy!
hth!

Jo..
06-15-2006, 12:30 PM
He can make tacos, super easy! Also, he could grill some marinated chicken and make fajitas or quesidillas, easy and yummy.

crl
06-15-2006, 07:55 PM
BBQ chicken in the crockpot:
Slice two big red onions and put them in the pot.
Put about 4 chicken thighs in the pot.
Pour a bottle (14 oz or more) of bbq sauce in the pot.
Cook on LOW for about 8 hours.

Knockworst and veggies on the grill:
Slice zucchini the long way.
Slice new red potatoes in half.
Coat veggies with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Grill veggies until soft.
Grill sausages until brown.

You can also grill fresh corn. Leave the husks on. Soak corn for about 1/2 hour. Then grill until done.

Filled pasta w/ alfredo sauce:
Buy:
filled pasta (ravioli or tortelini) from the refrigerator case
alfredo sauce from the refrigerator case
deli ham
frozen peas
Prepare:
Boil water. Add pasta and peas. Cook until pasta is soft.
Meanwhile microwave alfredo sauce per directions on package.
And cut ham into 1/2 inch squares.
Drain pasta and peas.
Pour sauce over pasta and peas and put ham on top.

Tex Mex scrambled eggs:
Scramble eggs and add shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese at the end to melt into the eggs.
Warm whole wheat tortillas in microwave for one minute with damp papertowel on top.
Serve with salsa and sour cream or plain yogurt.

There are my easiest (non-take out) meals. Hope that helps!

Corie
06-15-2006, 09:11 PM
How about if your husband (or send a good friend) goes
to Super Suppers or Dream Dinners, etc. ??

I go to 'The Dinner Station' once a month and I make 12 dinners.
It usually takes me about 2 hours. My husband and I really
love the food!

Here is a past thread about these type of Make-your-own-
Dinner places.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=295756&mode=full

Moneypenny
06-20-2006, 10:39 AM
- Pasta (frozen ravioli is good) and jarred sauce, serve with a bagged salad

- box of mac & cheese mixed with 1 can of tuna and 1 can of cream of mushroom soup - throw it in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes and you have tuna casserole. Serve with a green veggie.

- a couple cans of soup served with bagged salad and muffins or biscuits made from a mix

- burgers on the grill served with baked beans and potato chips

- There are lots of convenience foods - frozen lasagna, various fish and chicken entrees - serve with a box of rice or pasta mix and a nuked frozen veggie and you're all set.

Some crockpot ideas:
- 1 can of saurkraut and a family pack of porkchops; cook on low 8-10 hours

- 1 package of italian sausages, covered with jarred pasta sauce; cook on low 8-10 hours and serve on hoagie rolls

- 1 chuck roast and half a jar of salsa; cook on low 8-10 hours; shred meat and use for taco filling

Of course, the convenience foods may not be the healthiest, but at least it's dinner on the table for your stressed out hubby!

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

shilo
06-29-2006, 02:39 AM
if you're looking for decent frozen sides he can do in the microwave, green giant has a line out with 'low fat' sauces that are quite tasty as far as frozen veggies go. they make a creamed spinach, broccoli and cheese, creamed corn and baby peas in butter sauce - all lowfat.

another 'quick and easy' meal he could make would be hamburger stroganoff
brown 1lb of lean ground beef or turkey in a skillet
add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (the 98% FF one works fine)
add 1 cup sour cream (again, FF or LF work fine)
add 1 can of sliced mushrooms
add salt and pepper to taste

serve over rice or egg noodles (i like rice or brown rice, dh likes egg noodles)

you can also cook chicken breasts with rice and a can of soup in a casserole (i think a lot of the campbells soup cans have recipes for this on the label).

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

Jo..
06-29-2006, 05:06 AM
>if you're looking for decent frozen sides he can do in the
>microwave, green giant has a line out with 'low fat' sauces
>that are quite tasty as far as frozen veggies go. they make a
>creamed spinach, broccoli and cheese, creamed corn and baby
>peas in butter sauce - all lowfat.

I second this suggestion. We used to eat these all the time when DH and I both worked and had no time to cook, we liked them a lot! They are super-easy too, you just pop them in the microwave right in the pouch!

mamalia
06-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Easy Corned Beef and Cabbage...I THINK Puerto Rican style. Or at least that's the side of my family this recipe comes from.

Can Corned Beef
Medium Onion - mince or food process
Head of Cabbage - shred
Can Tomato Sauce
Lots of Garlic...I put a HEAPING tsp of minced garlic in (Aunty's recipe calls for 5-6 cloves I think)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin (optional)

Heat Corned Beef in pan with the onion. Add the tomato sauce, garlic, oregano, and cumin. Stir it all up. Add the cabbage on top. Turn to low heat and cover. Let the cabbage wilt in (about ten-twelve minutes), stir it up, cover again. At this point it's ready to eat. You just keep simmering until the cabbage is at the consistency you like (stop if you like a little crunch, heat some more if you don't).

We eat this with rice. It's really easy to make, and quick too. I hope DH enjoys his "cooking classes." :)

Malia