PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite lettuces?

jennifer_r
06-19-2006, 07:53 AM
So, I grew up on Iceberg (didn't we all?). Then thought Romaine was fabulous until I discovered Mesclun or baby greens and after about TEN years of eating it, I can say I am just about bored of that one. I tried Mache last week and liked it alot but went back to the store and they weren't carrying it then. Baby Spinach is another backup for me. But, I'd like to have more variety. Anyone have other recommendations?

TIA

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

boolady
06-19-2006, 09:31 AM
We like a few different kinds. We've been branching out because we also hit the wall with the mesculen (sp) and spring mix. We love baby arugula, usually just with some black pepper, a little lemon juice and olive oil or other light vinaigrette (balsalmic is really good on it too) and a bit of shaved parmesan or romano cheese. When we have that, we don't usually put other things into the salad. We have also been making regular salads (carrots, grape tomatoes, radishes, etc.) with butter lettuce, which is lighter than the mixed-type greens, but much more flavorful than iceberg. It's more like romaine, but sweeter. Bibb, green leaf, and red leaf are also good everyday salad lettuces with much more taste and texture than iceberg.

22tango
06-21-2006, 02:06 PM
I tend to buy organic bags of baby greens...but I also love the bagged mix of baby spinach with arugula (I think it's called something like "Spicy Greens"). But, MAN, oh how I love some thinly sliced belgian endive alone or on top of some mesclun or spinach. Top it with some sliced pears or apples, maybe a bit of blue cheese and/or nuts like hazelnuts or walnuts. A light balsamic vinaigrette or even better, the low fat (only 45 cals for 2 Tbsp) Pear-Gorgonzola dressing from Trader Joes! YUMMMM!!! :D

bostonsmama
06-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm sooo with you, Jennifer. I'm sooooooooo tired of organic field greens. We've been eating that exclusively for the pas 3 years. Before that it was only romaine. A few times I tried to buy red or green leaf lettuce, but DH always went back to romaine. Now, believe it or not, I *CRAVE* iceberg. It's so mellow and mild. Lots of roughage and water, which makes you feel fuller, so although there's no health benefit like darkly leafy greens have, it makes a nice salad. Under threat of DH, I now use it as an accent lettuce. We've been experimenting w/ live lettuces like Boston and Bibb (don't know if they're the same). I also like Butter lettuce....so soft and yummy. All I know is that I can't take any more escarole and oak leaves. I felt like I was better off eating the leaves from the tree in my front yard (well, neighbor's....). Anyways, tonight we had green leaf lettuce mixed w/ iceberg and organic tomatoes and carrots.

I feel your pain!
Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

jennifer_r
06-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Thanks everyone. I picked up some baby arugala (don't know why I didn't think of that one 'cause I have it out alot) and also some Mizuna. I *think* I may have had it out once or twice as part of a bigger salad. It looks like more delicate dandelion greens. I'll report back when I have that one. I'll have to try out Boston, Bibb and Butter too. And I've never thought of the red or green leaf lettuces - we use them all the time for our sandwiches too! duh! And I like the idea of throwing in some endive as well.

So, thanks, you've all given me lots of great ideas. We make some pretty funky salads (like this week I've been topping ours with roasted butternut squash, herbed chevre and raspberry vinegraite - yum!). Now, I have some lettuces to experiment with.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

kochh2
06-23-2006, 04:21 PM
We love the hydropoenic boston lettuce- it is sooooo good, and it doesn't spoil as quickly b/c it is still growing when you buy it!!!

Tondi G
06-25-2006, 06:08 PM
don't forget to toss in some shredded cabbage (red or green) for added crunch!

jennifer_r
06-26-2006, 06:20 AM
The first time around reading your reply, I missed your recommendation for the Pear-Gorgonzola dressing from TJ's - that sounds really good - I'm going to have to pick that one up next time.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

jennifer_r
06-26-2006, 06:23 AM
I looked for the Hydroponic lettuce at the store yesterday and they didn't have it :( I'll have to keep my eyes open for that one. And I like the suggestion of shredded cabbage in my salad - I always have leftover of it so it's a good way to use that stuff up.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05