PDA

View Full Version : Best packet cake recipe or easy to make cake

niccig
06-21-2006, 01:07 PM
We're celebrating DS's 1 and 1/2 bithday this weekend - poor child with a christmas birthday. And I'm making this cake for him as he LOVES his radio flyer wagon

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34370.jpg

It's from an Australian cookbook so I need help with a few things.

It says to use packet buttercake mix - any suggestions, or does anyone have a good cake recipe. It's to be made in a slice pan, about 7.5" x 11.5"

The sides are decorated with red licorice straps - each strap is about a 1/2" wide. I don't think I can find that here in the USA. Any other suggestions?

Of course, I've left this to the last minute, but in my excuse I had a final exam last night. So now I can prepare for the party.

Thanks for any help,
Nicci

trentsmom
06-21-2006, 09:53 PM
For the cake: I always use recipes from the Cake Mix Doctor. She has a website, so you can get some of the recipes there. It's usually cake mix, 3 or 4 eggs, oil, sometimes sour cream, etc. My favorites are the Darn Good Chocolate Cake and the Pound Cake.

For the sides: could you use Fruit by the Foot? Looks like it comes in lots of colors.

Good luck with the cake! You'll have to post a picture of it.

infocrazy
06-21-2006, 11:10 PM
The sides actually look like the Pull 'n Peel kind of licorice...or you could use them for that at least.

niccig
06-22-2006, 01:49 AM
I found that licorice today. You're right it will work. The Aussie kind doesn't pull and peel, but I can make that type work.

Thanks for the recommendation for the cake mix doctor. I went out and bought it. I think I'm going to do her basic white sour cream cake in a sheet pan. I'll look at the pound cake recipe again though. I like many of her other cakes, but I don't want a layer cake for this party, but next time I need to make something fancy, I'll definitely be trying out her recipes.

Ok, off to bake cake