PDA

View Full Version : Smoker Recipes need

Jen841
06-22-2006, 12:47 PM
New toy! Thanks!

urquie
06-23-2006, 01:20 AM
this is a fabulous and easy recipe! however, it does take a long time with the marinade and then a long slow cooking. i got it off of gail's recipe swap at epicurious.com. i did the black pepper and brown sugar rub and cooked it in my oven but i think it's better when cooked in a smoker for 4 hours first. i had a huge roast so when it was done cooking i cut it in four chuncks and froze three of them. i have since used the left-overs for bbq and some for carnitas - yummy!!! i'll add some other posters notes at the end.

Gretchen's Carolina Pulled Pork

INGREDIENTS:

1 pork shoulder or butt, bone in or out--any size--the cooking time is the same for a 3# or 8# piece.

BBQ rub of your choice (or see recipe below) OR just rub the meat with a mixture of coarse ground black pepper and brown sugar. Let marinate 8 hours or overnight.

DIRECTIONS:

Method 1--IF you have a smoker that can control the temp (I have a sidebox smoker and can keep the temp at 200*-250*) smoke the meat for 4 hours, keeping the temp low. Then place the meat in a 250* oven for 4 hours to finish. It will be meltingly tender and have a wonderful smoky flavor.

Method 2 (and this is the one I have really used for 30 years). Place the meat in a 225-250* oven for 8 hours uncovered . I have often done them overnight. It will still have the melting tenderness. You will have to slap your hands to have any left over as you take it out of the oven.

Leave all fat on and cook it fat side up. It gets crusty as well as fall apart done. When ready to serve pull out the bone if there is one, and "pull" the meat into shreds by pulling between 2 forks. Do not discard the fat--mix it in. The pork can also be chopped.

For a traditional Carolina serving method very lightly moisten the pulled meat with sweetened vinegar (1 qt. vinegar + 1/4C sugar and 2TBS coarse black pepper). It should be so little that you don't even know it has been added.

To warm before serving put the vinegared meat in a pan (black iron frying pan is good or Le Creuset) and cover tightly. Heat at 250* until heated.

To serve, offer bbq sauces, cole slaw (in the Carolinas, it goes ON the sandwich), baked beans, rolls, and banana pudding. For fall bbq's Brunswick Stew is also offered.

*BBQ Sauce Western NC Style):

1 bottle ketchup (28 or 32 oz.)
1 ketchup bottle of cider vinegar
6 oz. yellow mustard
6 oz. worcestershire sauce
1/2C brown sugar
3 oz. liquid smoke
2-3 TBS coarse black pepper
Tabasco to your taste

Simmer for 45 minutes.

Gretchen's Rub

3/4C paprika
1/2C black pepper
1/4C salt
1/2C turbinado sugar (or brown sugar)
2TBS New Mexico chile powder (if you can)
2 TBS onion powder
Cayenne pepper if you want
Rub meat thoroughly and let sit overnight in fridge.

NOTES from poster:
Gretchen’s introduction: The authentic version of "pulled pork" is the North Carolina BBQ that is smoked very low and slow in a smoker (like overnight, but low heat). It is the stuff the smokehouses sell and make their fame.

Whether there is a bone in or not does not have much effect in the grand scheme of things. The real answer is: cook it until it falls apart, about 8 hours. The size does not matter in the cook time either--8 hours. The temperature is the critical thing--low
and slow.

The bone doesn't really seem to make much difference in my experience. Have cooked them both ways and about the same time. I
have often cooked them overnight setting my oven timer to turn the oven off. It is not all an exact critical time.

A new bit of tweaking I have started is to smoke it at 225* for 4 hours and finish in the oven at 225* for 4 more hours. It is essential that the temp stay low.

If you use commercial bbq sauce I suggest diluting them 1/2 with vinegar for this use. Eastern NC uses vinegar sauces--sweetened vinegar with 1/4C (at least!!) cayenne pepper OR black pepper. It is too hot for me! Note that for traditional pulled pork BBQ, it is served without sauce. Sauce is added at the table, if any is wanted.

Need help with Gretchen's Pulled Pork recipe, please....
I have the butt, about 7 lbs and am researching the method, but not sure what type of pan, whether it is covered and if liquid is added. I would really appreciate any advice or a link to the answers. This
recipe sounds soooo good, do't want to screw it up.

Response
1. I love this one cuz it's so easy - cook uncovered, no added liquid. I use 9x13 pan. We really love this, w/ bbq sauce for sammies, or spicy for tacos. Freezes well, also.