PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Recipes???

ctmom
06-23-2006, 08:16 AM
After going strawberry picking I now have them coming out of my you know what!! The problem is they spoil so quickly. I already have a recipe for strawberry pie and strawberry salad. Anybody have any ideas how to get rid of some??

Thanks!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

DebbieJ
06-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Strawberry Amaretto Pastries

Ingredients:
1/2 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry sheets (1 sheet), thawed
1/2 cup sliced almonds, divided
2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1 orange
1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups thawed, frozen whipped topping
12 large strawberries, sliced

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Unfold pastry dough onto Large Round Stone. Coarsely grate half of the almonds using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Combine grated almonds and half of the sugar; sprinkle evenly over surface of dough. Lightly press almond mixture into dough using Baker's Roller(R).

2. Using Pizza Cutter, cut dough lengthwise into three strips; cut strips crosswise into four squares for a total of 12 squares. Using Mini-Serving Spatula, separate squares evenly over surface of baking stone. Bake 16-18 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Remove from baking stone; cool completely.

3. Place remaining almonds in Small Oval Baker. Microwave on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring after each 30-second interval; coarsely chop using Food Chopper and set aside. Zest entire orange using Lemon Zester/Scorer. Combine zest and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar; set aside.

4. Whisk sour cream, powdered sugar and almond extract in Classic Batter Bowl using Stainless Whisk. Fold in whipped topping using Small Mix 'N Scraper(R). Slice strawberries using Egg Slicer Plus(R). Split open each pastry square; arrange half of the strawberries into bottom of each shell. Top each with about 2 heaping tablespoons of the filling and sprinkle with chopped almonds. Top with remaining sliced strawberries and sprinkle with sugared orange zest. Place tops of pastry shells over filling. Serve immediately.

Yield: 12 pastries

Nutrients per serving: (1 pastry): Calories 230, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Carbohydrate 24 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 75 mg, Fiber 3 g

Cook's Tip: Sliced peaches or nectarines can be substituted for the strawberries, if desired.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

DebbieJ
06-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Strawberry Spinach Salad
(Casual Cooking cookbook, pg 40)
Strawberries, toasted almonds and a tangy dressing make this refreshing salad simply unforgettable.

Prep time: 20 minutes Bake time: 10-12 minutes

Dressing
1 lemon
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
⅓ cup sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Salad
¼ cup sliced natural almonds, toasted
8 ounces (1½ cups) strawberries, hulled and quartered
½ medium cucumber, sliced and cut in half
¼ small red onion, sliced into thin wedges (¼ cup)
1 package (6 ounces) baby spinach

1. For dressing, zest lemon using Lemon Zester/Scorer to measure ½ teaspoon zest. Juice lemon using Juicer to measure 2 tablespoons juice. Combine zest, juice, vinegar, sugar, oil and poppy seeds in Small Batter Bowl. Whisk until well blended using Mini-Whipper. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. For salad, spread almonds in single layer over bottom of Small Bar Pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven; cool almonds in bar pan.
3. Meanwhile, hull strawberries using Cook’s Corer; cut strawberries into quarters.
4. Score cucumber lengthwise using lemon zester/scorer; remove seeds using The Corer. Using Ultimate Slice & Grate fitted with v-shaped blade, slice cucumber; cut slices in half. Slice onion into thin wedges.
5. Place spinach in large serving bowl; add strawberries, cucumber and onion. Whisk dressing; pour over salad, gently tossing to coat using 3-Way Tongs. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.

Yield: 10 servings

Nutrients per serving (1 cup): Calories 70, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 10 g, Protein 1 g, Sodium 15 mg, Fiber 1 g

Diabetic exchanges per serving: ½ starch, ½ fat (½ carb)

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kedss
06-23-2006, 11:04 AM
How about strawberry smoothies? or mixing them with yogurt and making popsicles?(we used to have the popsicle trays when I was a kid) or strawberry shortcakes? or just mixing them in a fruit salad.

psophia17
06-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Once they start looking not so hot, put them in a bowl with a bit of sugar (more if they're sour, less if they're sweet), mash with a potato masher, let the mix sit for an hour or so, put a couple of ladlefuls into ziploc bags, and freeze.

You can use this mix over ice cream, put it into whipped cream (or whipped topping), saturate shortcake or angelfood cake with it (cut the cake into layers and use the mashed strawberry to fill between the layers, make summer pudding (Barefoot Contessa has a recipe for it, you can sub mashed strawberries for her berry mixture)...can you tell I love strawberries?

At home on the farm, we used to slice strawberries onto buttered bread, sprinkle with sugar, and eat open-face strawberry sandwiches. YUM...

urquie
06-23-2006, 05:53 PM
we make lots of strawberry shortcake for weekend breakfasts when (any kind of) berries are in season. and then use any leftovers for another breakfast or dessert. i use the recipe on the side on a bisquick box it's quick and easy. just load it on top with berries and some whipcream.

anamika
06-23-2006, 07:06 PM
I have a recipe for strawberry dressing which I love. It turns out quite sweet actually - yummy!
Link - http://tinyurl.com/m35a9

Strawberry Field Salad Recipe from Kim's New England Kitchen

Extra strawberries? Why not use them in this salad and dressing. It's so tasty, you may think it's really dessert.

Serves 4 people.

You'll Need:
Blender
Salad Bowl
INGREDIENTS:

* SALAD
* 4-4.5 oz. Field greens or Mesclun blend
* 1 pint fresh strawberries (reserve 2 medium berries for dressing)
* Croutons
* DRESSING
* 1/4 cup salad oil
* 1/4 cup honey
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1/2 tsp prepared spicy brown mustard
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp paprika
* dash white pepper
* 2 medium strawberries cleaned and sliced

PREPARATION:
Measure ingredients for dressing into blender and blend at highest speed until strawberries are thoroughly incorporated. Chill until about 30 minutes before serving.

Rinse and thoroughly dry greens. Clean and slice strawberries.

Just before serving, combine strawberries with salad greens. Add dressing and toss lightly. Top with your favorite croutons.

babydogs3
06-24-2006, 10:53 AM
I just went strawberry picking too so I have the same problem.

I washed, hulled and froze most of them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. When frozen put them in ziploc bags. Then you can throw a handful into smoothies, make ice cream or popsicles, sauce, etc.

I kept some in the fridge to have in the next few days for salads, snacks, and desserts.

FiveLittleDucks
06-24-2006, 05:36 PM
This was what I was going to post. I just bought a bunch ($1/lb...you can't pass that up!) and am going to start freezing them tonight.

elephantmeg
06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
strawberry freezer jam is delish and fairly easy. Just follow the recipie on the sure gell or whatever that stuff is called :) The best was when we mixed a pint of blueberries in-strawberry/bluberry freezer jam is to die for!

elephantmeg
06-26-2006, 03:20 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33884,00.html
and another recipie from 30 min meals--strawberry salad with strawberry vinagrette. Looks good

ctmom
06-27-2006, 09:36 AM
We have finally finished all the strawberries and used some of these great ideas!! The kids are already nagging me for blueberry picking which doesn't start for another few weeks!!! Start thinking of ideas for blueberries girls, I'll be back...

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

shellybelly
07-11-2006, 03:22 PM
my DH makes a fabulous recipe with strawberries! it sounds a little wierd, but it's divine!

strawberry french toast

you take your strawberries and mash them up a bit, so it's liquidy and still chunky (like salsa ha ha), you can add a bit of sugar if you really want it to be sweet. then you make french toast as you usually do. you put 2 slices on each plate, put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, cover with strawberry stuff, and some whipped cream on top of it all. it's not healthy, but it is soooo scrumpcious!
-Shelly

http://b1.lilypie.com/SBUFm7.png
We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi