PDA

View Full Version : artichokes?

megs4413
06-26-2006, 09:50 AM
DH insists he loves them and wants me to make them....HOW???? I have them I don't know what to do with them.....HELP!!!!!!!!

daisymommy
06-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Ask him if he means steamed and to dip the leaves in butter suace. If so, I'll tell you how.

shilo
06-27-2006, 02:54 AM
yep, ask him how he likes them and i'm sure you'll get some feedback. when we get them in season here (the artichoke capital of the world is an hours drive away - lol), i love them just steamed with aioli (a mayonaise base with a little lemon and minced garlic - yum!).

i prep fresh ones by cutting the stem to about 2" and cutting off the top inch or so of the globe itself. then i trim the pointy ends off of the outer leaves with kitchen shears. i also usually remove any of the tough little leaves down by the base/stem because they are generally too tough to eat (although some people say this about all of the outer leaves as well - i just let them pull them off once cooked if they are too tough for their personal taste). then i put them globe down/stem up in my steamer with the juice of 1 lemon quarter added to the steaming water (some people prefer them cooked stem side down, so YMMV). i steam for about 35-40 minutes, sometimes longer if they are really big chokes (less for smaller ones - basically you want the stem to be soft but not mushy). you could also do it in a regular pot of water with a steamer basket insert. i would think every steamer is different tho, so the first time you cook them, just start testing the stem at 25ish minutes every 5-7 minutes or so.

the coastal establishments all have signature artichoke recipes since they get them fresh from the fields in watsonville/castroville. i'll also paste in my two favorite "using artichokes" recipes in case the fresh ones inspire a desire to try more...

shadowbrook restaurant in capitola-by-the-sea makes a famous (at least around here) artichoke soup - its beyond good, but is a little work to prepare. i usually substitute fat free half and half to help cut some of the cream...

Shadowbrook Creamy Artichoke Soup

1 lb.
(or 2-8.5 oz.
cans, drained) Frozen artichoke hearts
1 med.-lg.
or 2 sm. Potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 med. Onion, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 Celery stocks, chopped
1/2 med. Leek (white only), sliced
1 clove Garlic, finely chopped (optional)
3 Cups Chicken or vegetable stock
1/8 Cup
or 2 Tbsp. Fresh minced flat-leaf Italian parsley
1/3 Tsp. Dried oregano
1/2 Tsp. Dried basil
3 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Flour
1/2 Tsp. Half and Half
1/2 Cup Heavy cream
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Pepper
1-2 Tsp. Fresh lemon juice
Directions: Cook vegetables, including frozen artichoke hearts if used, in water until soft, approx 10-12 minutes. Drain. In blender, purée cooked vegetables (add canned artichoke hearts here, if used) and optional garlic. Return to pot. Add the herbs and stock. Sim-mer for 20 minutes.
Make a roux with the melted butter and flour over medium heat. Add the half and half, stirring until smooth. Add to soup. Add the heavy cream. Bring soup back up to boil and season with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice to taste. To thin soup, add half and half. To thicken, add more roux.

Strain through a fine strainer or colander. Makes about 6-8 ounce servings.

the other is from the inn at depot hill - the best B & B i've ever seen or been to - their artichoke dip - also beyond good:

2 jars marinated artichoke hearts, chopped and drained
4 green onions (greens included) finely chopped
1 cup parmesan or asiago cheese, shredded
1/2 cup mayonaise (i use light)
1 cup mozzarella or monterey jack cheese, shredded
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 baguette thinly sliced to spread dip on (i sometimes make crostini with the slices by brushing on a little EVOO and rubbing with a cut open clove of garlic and sticking them under the broiler until just golden)

mix all ingredients (except the baguette) and put in an oven safe baking dish. bake at 350 for 20-25minutes, until just golden and bubly. serve with the baguette slices.

enjoy! hmm, i may have to go get me some artichokes for tomorrow night... lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

kaylinsmommy2
06-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I just looked up instructions last week and they are really yummy. If he likes to dip the leaves in butter, here's what I did: cut off the top 1/3 of the artickoke, trim the stem, and steamed them upside down for 20 minutes (until a knife stuck through the stem enters the middle easily. After the leaves are off, you scrape out the stringy stuff (the choke) and eat the bottom "heart." See below for links to pictures. Really easy. I don't like butter, so I dipped in lemon flavored olive oil. I taught DD to scrape off each of the leaves and she loves it!

Here are some links - the pictures really helped me! The first one is really good:
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000262how_to_cook_and_eat_an_artichoke.php http://www.ehow.com/how_426_cook-artichokes.html
http://www.pelicannetwork.net/artichokes.cook.htm

I bought a 4 pack of good sized artichokes from Costco for about $4.50. The farmer's market this weekend had huge ones for $3 each. I'd say bigger is better than very small ones, since you have more of the heart to eat. :)

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

Mommy_Again
07-01-2006, 03:45 PM
This is a family recipe that is to die for. Served as an appetizer.

Artichoke Squares

Ingredients:

(2) 6-oz jars marinated artichokes
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 eggs, beaten
2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tbs parsley
¼ c breadcrumbs
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Dash oregano
Dash Tabasco

Directions:

-Drain artichokes and reserve oil from jars
-Saute onion and garlic in 3 tbs of the drained oil
-Chop artichokes and add to eggs
-Add remaining ingredients to egg mixture
-Grease a 9x12 glass baking dish
-Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until set to touch
-Cool and cut into squares
-Can be frozen- thaw and reheat at 350 degrees for 10 minutes

Tondi G
07-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Yup thats how we do it essentially! Steam them up, melt some butter with some garlic from the grinder... dip and eat the leaves till you reach the heart.... get all the hairy stuff out and eat up the heart! My 14 month old loves Artichokes!

~Tondi

kijip
07-07-2006, 12:09 AM
How? Very carefully, that's how :P. It is a wonder to me that anyone ever figured out those spiny, thorny things are edible. Whoever did must have been really hungry. But they are yummy, I usually boil them up to get at the hearts.