PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite spices / spice brands?

bunnisa
06-28-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm updating my grocery/pantry list and would love to have your input! We are big fans of Penzeys spices, especially the Smoked Spanish Paprika, Aleppo Chiles, and Indian Special Extra Bold Peppercorns.

BTW: I ordered some Penzeys Double Strength Vanilla after hearing all the raves (it was not cheap) and sadly, find I need to use just as much of it as the regular-strength varieties. So if anyone knows of a great vanilla, let me know!

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

Corie
06-28-2006, 02:08 PM
We love Penzeys Pork Chop Seasoning. LOVE it!!
We also like the Chicago Steak Seasoning.

My husband really likes Penzeys Pizza Seasoning and their
Sandwich Sprinkle.

But, I've seen my husband mix up some spices, pepper,
worchestershire sauce, and pickle juice and then drink
it. Yuck!!

bostonsmama
06-28-2006, 10:51 PM
I prefer the McCormick Gourmet Collection spices (in the pretty glass jars). At the commissary they are about 1/2 the price of what others stores carrying them at, so I understand why more people don't choose to afford them. I don't know if they taste better, but it's really hard to find specialty spices like Marjoram, Whole Thyme sprigs, Cayenne Pepper, Nutmeg, Dalmation Sage, and Cumin in the generic section. The spices we go through the fastest are dill weed, cayenne, marjoram (lots of Chicken Marsala here), cinnamon, nutmeg, and real vanilla extract (plain ole McCormick). The rest of my spices I get in regular McComick with yellow labels and red tops: sweet basil, oregano, bay leaf, italian seasoning-all for pasta sauce, mustard powder (DH makes homemade mustard 2x/yr...so yummy!), cream of tartar, & celery seed (great on potato salad). I also used to get Herbs de Provence, but I had trouble using it up last time (limited dishes...but lemony/lavendary & wonderful)

We also really like Goya's Adobo seasoning w/ salt & pepper (you can get it w/out either). Shake it on boneless skinless chicken thighs and bake...or so delicious!

Was looking to Penzey's (ordered a catalogue and looked through, but no decision yet), might get vanilla beans to make vanilla sugar (Sarah Moulton has a great recipe w/ the dried pods), cayenne, dried chiles and maybe a steak seasoning. Not excited about the shipping, though!

Oh, and I grow my own organic basil plant (just made killer from scratch tomato sauce and pizza w/ basil sauce...heaven). Trader Joe's also has cool cilantro, garlic and basil cubes (fresh chopped, but frozen into little ice trays) that I love to use to supplement fresh and dried herbs.
Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

kijip
07-07-2006, 12:06 AM
The only way I buy spices is bulk from my co-op or the markets near me that carry them bulk. Jarred spices are not as fresh or potent IME and they are sold at an INSANE markup. $6.99 for 1 ounce or less and the like is just not going to happen if I can get them bulk. Besides, there is less packaging that way since I just refill the same jars. Also, when I am in need of a not routinely used spice, I can get for pennies just what I need for a recipe that I am trying. I grew up with bulk spices, so I just that that for granted. I use at least a dozen weekly, and another dozen or so monthly or more so I have a ton of little glass jars with white lids.

dhano923
07-07-2006, 05:24 AM
I buy most of my spices from the indian store (I'm indian, so do a lot of indian cooking).

I like Penzeys. I really like the Greek seasoning -- I chop up cucumbers, mix with yogurt and season with the GS for a quick dip or sauce. I also make "Greek" turkey burgers by mixing some seasoning into ground turkey, then topping the burgers with the cucumber/yogurt sauce, sliced red onion and lettuce. I like the Pork Chop seasoning, but DH thinks it's just ok. I like their Saffron, the Fajita seasoning, and the Sate seasoning. I gave their Wedding gift set to my friend for her housewarming gift after they moved cross country and she said they really liked all the spices in it.

dules
07-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Yep, same here. I've bought jars from Whole Foods when I've had to but OUCH on the price and the quality, while better than grocery store jars (yellow label, starts with M I think?) I grew up with, is not great.

I like the vanilla from Trader Joe's; my mom prefers the one from Williams Sonoma. I'll admit I think it's better but for the price I have to stick with TJ's, lol.

Penzey's sounds wonderful - I will have to check those out!

Best,
Mary

jgriffin
07-08-2006, 09:24 AM
The Greek seasoning is awesome! I like it on salads, but it's good on all sorts of stuff. Northwoods is good on baked/roast chicken; their old world seasoning is similar but maybe a little saltier. I also like sandwich sprinkle on my sandwiches, but that's not really cooking. :)

I try to order from Penzeys only when I need a bunch of spices, because shipping is pricey. And I frequently have a friend who orders stuff with me, so we can save a bit.

I just use McCormicks vanilla extract (the real stuff, not imitation). I've bought more expensive extract before, but never noticed a difference.

mudder17
07-16-2006, 02:55 PM
>I prefer the McCormick Gourmet Collection spices (in the
>pretty glass jars). At the commissary they are about 1/2 the

We go to the church with the McCormicks, so they'll be happy to hear that! :)

>Oh, and I grow my own organic basil plant (just made killer
>from scratch tomato sauce and pizza w/ basil sauce...heaven).
>Trader Joe's also has cool cilantro, garlic and basil cubes
>(fresh chopped, but frozen into little ice trays) that I love
>to use to supplement fresh and dried herbs.

That's very cool to know! I'll have to check TJ's the next time I'm there. So what's the recipe for your sauce? :)

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 28 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah