PDA

View Full Version : Fruit salad dressings?

psophia17
07-07-2006, 05:32 PM
I'd like to make a fruit salad using only plums, peaches, nectarines, and apricots (all of which are grown locally - yum!), and maybe throw in berries of some sort (blueberries?), to keep in the fridge for lunchtime and snacks.

I would normally dress a fruit salad in in some sort of citrus juice with a splash of booze, but that's not an option this season...any ideas on what will taste good and hold up for a few days?

kimbe
07-07-2006, 07:40 PM
http://www.greatpartyrecipes.com/fruitdiprecipes.html

My aunt makes the cream cheese dip and it is fantastic! I am sure that you could thin it out with some lemon juice and use it as a dresing.

I am sure that you could thin out the raspberry and lemon dips as well.

HTH!

jgriffin
07-08-2006, 09:19 AM
My typical fruit salad is peaches (and/or nectarines), strawberries, blueberries, and sometimes a little kiwi. For dressing I sprinkle a little bit of vanilla extract and some honey over it, toss, and it's ready to go. I don't know how much of anything, depends on how sweet the fruit is. Sometimes I add a bit of dried (unsweetened) coconut, depending on the audience. As the fruit salad, um, matures, it gets softer and juicier, so it's nice for over ice cream. Depending on how ripe everything starts out, it could last for a few days (although it never gets that far in my house!)

Cheers to locally grown produce...how lucky you are!!

Jen

crl
07-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Not sure how well it would hold up, but I like plain yogurt mixed with honey and lime zest (or juice if I'm lazy). I just mix it to taste.

kimbe
07-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Oooooo --- that sounds yummy!!!!

jgriffin
07-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Indeed! In fact...I had to make some for dessert tonight, after thinking about it. :)

jillc
07-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Mix a can of peach pie filling in with your fruit salad. It tastes yummy - kind of like a light sweet glaze on the fruit. It keeps the fruit looking nice for several days, too.

My aunt gave me this tip & I've used it when preparing big fruit salads for gatherings. It's always a hit.

HTH.

Jen841
07-16-2006, 08:29 PM
My Mom would use a thing of vanilla pudding. I think, I am not sure, she made it with a combo of milk and fruit juice b/c it was always blueberry colored.