PDA

View Full Version : jars for preserving fruit, jam, sauce etc

niccig
07-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Our fruit trees have a bumper crop. I'm giving away as much as I can, but I'm thinking of stewing or preserving some of the plums and peaches. Having never done this before, I don't know what jars to use. I have nothing. If I knew I was going to do this, I would have saved the pasta sauce jars. Any suggestions for where to buy jars at a fairly cheap price?

Thanks,
Nicci

boolady
07-12-2006, 08:53 AM
You can't use jars that you have used before like pasta jars, because the lids won't work. You need lids that will make the vacuum seal, like Ball canning jars. I have seen them in my grocery store (Wegmans), Sur La Table, and I think I've seen them in Target, etc. If you haven't done it before, you should probably get a book on how to can, unless you have someone who can teach you (my mom taught me), because you have to make sure you process the jars for the correct amount of time so that the food doesn't go bad. If you already know this, ignore me. Anyway, here's a link to the kind of jars that you need for Amazon-- you may be able to find them cheaper. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_hs/102-1824191-4237760?platform=gurupa&url=index%3Dblended&keywords=ball+jar

niccig
07-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks Jen, And no I've never done this before. I do have instructions in a normal cookbook, but one just for canning probably would be a good idea. I really wished I paid more attention to my mother when she did it.

Thanks,
Nicci

boolady
07-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Good luck with it-- I've only been doing it with my mom for 2 summers now, because as a kid, of course, I didn't want to be bothered. It's not that complicated once you have everything set up to go, and the things we've made have turned out really good. I'm always excited to hear someone else is thinking about it, because no one seems to do it anymore.