PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Corn and Tomatoes Tart

Jen841
07-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Made this yesterday, and want it again already (and I am not a leftover gal!) I served it with homemade salsa over it. I added a can of black olives and green onions to it.

Corn and Tomatoes Tart

Serves 6 in 30 minutes or less

This festive main-course tart celebrates summer by showcasing two special summertime vegetables: fresh corn and vine-ripened tomatoes. When still hot from the oven, the filling is soft and custardy, but firms slightly after cooling. For extra Mexican-style flair, enrich the filling with sliced black olives and sliced scallions, garnish the tart with avocado slices, and pass heated corn or flour tortillas and a side dish of spiced black beans or frijoles refritos. For a South-of-the-Border beverage, try chilled Mexican beer. Select something light such as a meringues or slices seasonal fresh fruit for dessert.
2 large eggs
2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, or mixture of cheddar and low-fat mozzarella
1 cup corn kernels, preferably fresh (I used frozen)
4 oz. diced mild green chiles (I used a small can of medium I believe)
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 unbaked, 9-inch pie shell
2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
1 cup salsa for garnish, optional

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Combine eggs, cheese, corn kernels, chiles, chili powder and cumin in mixing bowl, and beat to mix well. Pour into pie shell, smoothing top of filling.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until center is firm. Remove from oven, place sliced tomatoes on top, sprinkle with cilantro and serve. Pass portions with salsa of your preference, if desired.