PDA

View Full Version : What veggies with ham at your house?

Babywhite
07-25-2006, 04:50 PM
I need to try some new veggies with ham. I usually do mac n cheese and green beans.

What veggies do you/your family like with ham?

TIA
R.W.

boolady
07-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Asparagus, either tossed with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and grilled, or cut into approx. 3 pieces per stalk, and sauteed with a bit of olive oil, some minced garlic, salt and pepper. My aunt made asparagus one year with her Easter ham, and I've been hooked on the combination ever since. Baked sweet potatoes (either whole or in wedges) are also great with ham.

Mommy_Again
07-27-2006, 08:36 PM
how about baked apples or cinnamon apples? The kids would probably love that.

Corn?
Sliced tomatoes?

dhano923
07-29-2006, 05:49 AM
Broccoli, also with mac and cheese or some sort of potato.

annex
07-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Spinach is good with ham, I think. Here's an indulgent side you can bake in the oven at the same time, just increase the cooking time if you're doing it at the same time as the ham:

Spinach Gratin from the Barefoot Contessa

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
User Rating: 5 Stars

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 (10-ounce) packages)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat.
Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes.
Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes.
Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce.
Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top.
Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Serve hot.

mandye
07-29-2006, 05:24 PM
We make these.

Funeral Potatoes
2 pounds frozen hash browns
1/2 cup butter
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 pint sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 1/2 cups crushed corn flakes
4 tablespoons butter

In an extra large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheese and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. Add the hash browns. Stir gently. Pour into a 9x13-inch pan. Melt the butter in a medium bowl. Add crushed corn flakes until it is crumbly. Sprinkle over the potatoes. Bake at 350 F for 40-50 minutes.

As a side note: they are called funeral potatoes because they seem to be a staple at funerals within my religious group!

bostonsmama
07-29-2006, 10:04 PM
How about fruits?

Cranberry chutney on the ham w/ green bean casserole on the side (I know...very holiday-like fare)

My grandma used to serve it with pineapples and cherries over a white rice pilaf.

You could also cut tomatoes in half or into slices and melt some feta, blue cheese crumbles, or even mozzarella on top in the toaster oven (turn it to broil for 1-2 minutes or bake at 325 for 8min or until cheese gets bubbly).

Top ham slices w/ a mild mango/tomato salsa with diced red, green and yellow bell pepper (that's been sauteed in veg oil for 5 min) stirred in.

You could also cut up some veggies (like broccoli florets, baby carrots, cauliflower, and grape tomatoes) and have them dip the cold veggies in a cheese sauce or salad dressing and put the ham into some sliced rolls to dip like mini sandwiches. Might be fun for the little one(s).
Larissa
All systems go! Mr. Follistim & Mrs. Repronex, meet thigh. Next appt 8/2.

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06

kijip
08-12-2006, 05:46 PM
It is all about the asparagus over here. Or broccoli with garlic.

writermama
08-27-2006, 01:41 PM
I like kale or collard greens with cornbread, but I'm the only one who eats them in our house (though I can make a soup with black beans, leftover ham, small amounts of shredded greens and get DH to eat it without complaint).

Baked apples, corn or savory corn casserole are also ham favorites.

ajmom
09-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Funny how we tend to put the same few foods together... in my house growing up, it was always ham, baked beans, and potato salad. Not much help for "new" veggies, huh?

PAfirsttimemom
09-13-2006, 09:24 AM
In my house, it was always ham, string beans, and potatoes. My mom made it a one-pot meal, cooking all together for a long time until everything was very tender.

I think scalloped potatoes also go great with ham. And applesauce.