PDA

View Full Version : Penzey's Spices, Oh La La, what to buy

niccig
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I just got a catalogue from Penzeys Spices. I know a few people here buy from them. Anything I must try? Any suggestions for gift packs? Both my Mum and sister are avid cooks and this would be a perfect Christmas present.

TIA Nicci

bcky2
07-25-2006, 10:33 PM
omg, everything! i love the taco seasoning, the fahita seasoning, the 4s salt. they have a lemon pepper one that is good on chicken, their broth base is super good, they have some really good peppercorns, i wasnt a big fan of the hot chocolate. im sure that there are more that i love but i just cant think of them.

jbowman
07-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I think the Fox Point seasoning is good (I use it for veggie dip), and I love their peppercorns, cocoa, poppy seeds, and Pasta Sprinkle. I also like their dressing bases, like the Peppercorn Ranch (excellent!).

And their recipes are awesome! Definitely check those out.

BaileyBea
07-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Never heard of Penzey's... ohhh tell me more...

Do they have a website?

bcky2
07-25-2006, 10:52 PM
once you look you will be hooked ;)

www.penzeys.com

trumansmom
07-25-2006, 10:53 PM
www.penzeys.com

I love going to the stores. They smell sooooo good!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

urquie
07-25-2006, 11:06 PM
yes, please tell us more? what makes them so much better than the already expensive spices/seasonings that i buy at the grocery store? is it really worth the extra $$?

mskitty
07-25-2006, 11:11 PM
My staples from Penzey's...

Fajita seasoning
Ozark seasoning (great on pork chops)
Indonesia Korintje Cinnamon
Apple Pie Spice (to dress up baked apples)

Their spices are so good.. you'll probably never buy the cheap stuff from the grocery store! They really aren't too pricey. I usually just buy the small little bottles so they stay really fresh except the Fajita and Cinnamon because we clean out those pretty quickly. About twice a year I go sniffing at their store and always find something new to bring home.

MsKitty

kcimato
07-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Has anyone ordered their recipe magazine? Is it worth it?

jgriffin
07-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Our favorites:
Northwoods seasoning (good on baken chicken)
taco seasoning
chili powder
sandwich sprinkle
creamy peppercorn dressing mix
Greek seasoning (I use this as a salad dressing mix)
vanilla sugar (good on oatmeal)
California seasoned pepper (this goes in our camping bag for campfire foil packets)

They also have a lot of harder to find spices that I sometimes use (juniper berries, anyone?) The only thing I've tried that I didn't like was their paprika, which was too smoky for me.

I got the first issue of One (the Penzey magazine) and was not impressed enough to subscribe. But it seemed to me that after they started the magazine, they had fewer recipes in the catalog. :(

Jen

bunnisa
07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
We always keep these on hand and use many times a week:

Extra Bold Peppercorns
Aleppo pepper
Smoked Spanish Paprika
Cinnamon

Actually, of the dozens of spices we've ordered, the only thing that was disappointing was the Zataar (and a couple other blends had too much salt for my taste).

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

bunnisa
07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
>Has anyone ordered their recipe magazine? Is it worth it?

I've heard mixed reviews but I have never seen it.

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

psophia17
07-26-2006, 01:44 PM
My brownie fairy sent me a 4-jar gift box, and I *love* it. It is the International Salt-free box.

From their website:
No salt, sugar or MSG. Just fresh and pungent spices and herbs, all excellent for flavorful fish, chicken and vegetables. Sunny Paris Seasoning mixes shallots, green peppercorns and French herbs, making it great for salads; Singapore Seasoning combines the best of the East and the West to produce a flavorful curry-lemon mix–try on steak, rice and chops; Latin American Adobo Seasoning is traditional for rice, beans, pork, chili, fajitas, tacos and guacamole; and Sunny Spain Seasoning is a salt free lemon-pepper blend, perfect as an all-purpose sprinkle.

I love the Sunny Paris - I'll happily use it on everything, and I've been experimenting with the rest as I go...

boolady
07-26-2006, 02:16 PM
ETA: Ignore me. Mental block. If I'd just looked at the list of ingredients for each item, I'd know exactly what was in it.

I looked on their website and couldn't quite tell, unless I missed it.
Are their spices and blends all natural? I saw that a PP wrote that the salt-free blends are salt and MSG free...is everything else pretty much all natural? If so, I'm so excited. These look great!

Rachels
07-26-2006, 03:39 PM
YES. I'll never buy grocery spices again. These are infinitely better.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

Corie
07-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Definitely the Pork Chop Seasoning!! Love it!

Chicago Steak Seasoning

Sandwich Sprinkle

Pizza Seasoning

Beef Roast Seasoning

I don't think you can go wrong with any of their products!!

niccig
07-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll order a few things to try out, and then decide on what to get family. I have to post these overseas, and weight will be an issue. I may even order early enough to send things sea mail. Takes 3 months, but MUCH cheaper. My mum would love to try these, and if she gets hooked, I'll be sending her stuff all the time.

Nicci

boolady
08-01-2006, 01:35 PM
We were in NYC on Saturday, and because of everyone's raves, went to the Penzey stand in Grand Central Market. We loved it!! We got a whole bunch of things for $22, which I really didn't think was bad. I can't wait to try them...Thanks to everyone who recommended Penzey's.