PDA

View Full Version : ZUCCHINI recipes!

Mamma2004
07-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Now that our garden is finally producing, we are inundated with zucchini and I would love some new ideas for ways to use it!

With such a short season here in New England, I really want to take advantage of the opportunity to try our fresh zucchini in a variety of dishes. I look forward to your suggestions!

Thanks so much,
Stephanie

jgriffin
07-27-2006, 06:04 PM
A few years ago I was gifted a giant zucchini by my FIL. I made 8 loaves of zucchini bread with it; here's the recipe.

3 cups flour (I usually mix both white and whole wheat in some proportion.)
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardammom
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup tomato juice
4 eggs
2 cups grated zucchini, water sqeezed out first

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease 2 9 x 5 bread pans.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardammom, baking soda, and walnuts together. Set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the oil, tomato juice, eggs, and zucchini.
Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix until just blended.
Pour into loaf pans and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool and enjoy!
This freezes well. After the loaf has cooled, remove from pan, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then foil. Label and date (so you don't have a mystery brick in the freezer), and pop in the freezer. Yum!

kimbe
07-27-2006, 08:00 PM
ZUCCHINI BROWNIES

1/2 cup butter
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cups cooking oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cups cocoa
2 cups grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
Cream together butter, oil, and sugar. add eggs one at a time. Blend in vanilla and buttermilk. In another bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add to batter, mix thoroughly, add zucchini by hand until zucchini is mixed in well.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until done.

These are really good --- more cake-like though.

Mommy_Again
07-27-2006, 08:28 PM
a great side dish

Ingredients:

3 c zucchini, sliced thin and quartered (about 2 whole zucchini)
1 c Bisquick mix
½ c chopped onion
½ c parmesan cheese
½ c cooking oil
4 eggs
3 tbs parsley
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp oregano
Dash lemon pepper
Dash garlic powder

-Preheat over to 325 degrees
-Mix all ingredients in a large bowl
-Pour into greased 10 inch pie plate
-Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
-Let cool slightly and slice in wedges to serve. Good hot or cold.

mudder17
07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Epicurious has an awesome rosemary/zucchini soup that I've done a couple of times. I revised it to add chunks of potato as well as the pureed potatoes, but otherwise cooked it as suggested (you can look at the reviews for more ideas). The recipe is really not that difficult to revise, depending on what else you have. Also, Allrecipes has a great zucchini pineapple bread that I've made quite a few of (with some in my freezer as I type), that has gotten lots of positive comments from people.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 28 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

mandye
07-29-2006, 05:36 PM
These are yummy...and I'm not a huge zucchini fan.

Cinnamon-Frosted Zucchini Squares
1 3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. shredded zucchini
1 c. coconut
3/4 c. chopped walnuts
cinnamon frosting

In a small mixing bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugars; beat until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Stir in flour mixture. Stir in zucchini, coconut and walnuts. Spread evenly in a greased 9x13-inch dish. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Drizzle with cinnamon frosting. Cut into bars.

Cinnamon Frosting: In a large bowl, beat 2 c. sifted powdered sugar, 2 tbsp. milk, 2 tbsp. butter--melted, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1 tsp. vanilla until smooth.

ETA: you probably already know this, but you can freeze it and use it throughout the year.

mandy

alleyoop
07-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Zucchini Soup - super easy and tasty with cornbread
6 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup water
2tbl onion flakes
2 tsp season salt
1tsp parsley
4tsp chx stock
-Cook above till tender, then mix in:
4tbl butter
4tbl flour
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 strips crumpled crispy bacon
-Liquify well in blender in batches. Finish by re-heating, adding milk to the consistency you like.

Double Chocolate Zuchinni Bread
(makes 2 loaves)
3 eggs
1 3/4 c sugar
1c cooking oil (I used 1/2 oil, 1/2 applesauce)
2tsp vanilla
2c grated zuchinni
1oz unsweetened chocolate - melted
3c flour
1tsp salt
2tsp soda
1tsp baking powder
1tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1pkg (4oz) intant chocolate pudding
1 1/4c buttermilk
-Beat eggs slightly, add sugar and mix well; add oil and chocolate and vanilla, mixing well. Stir in grated zucchini. Combine all dry ingred. including choc pudding powder and add to mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for approx 1hour and 15minutes or until done when tested. Can be frozen when completely cooled.

Mamma2004
08-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. As soon as this heat wave ends and I can bear to use my oven, I'll get started on your recipes!

Please continue to share any ways you all enjoy zucchini!

Stephanie

kijip
08-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Slice it really thin. Saute lightly in oil and garlic on the stove. Or marinate in the fridge in whatever floats your boat. Then use as a pizza topping. I love thick layers of this with tomato and mushroom on a pizza! Better than pepperoni, I swear!

jgriffin
08-13-2006, 11:07 PM
>ETA: you probably already know this, but you can freeze it and
>use it throughout the year.

Mandy,

Thanks, I didn't know this! I'm glad you posted this, as my FIL just gave me 2 large (3+ lbs) zucchinis, and I just don't have it in me this year to do all that baking at once. I now have 6 cups of shredded zuke in the freezer for later, and only 1 giant zucchini to deal with this week. :)

jasmine
09-18-2006, 12:18 AM
A little late on the response, but I tried a grilled zucchini recipe last night (from the epicurious website) and it was simple and delicious. I actually didn't have any lemon-pepper or curry powder, but it was still good.

GRILLED ZUCCHINI WITH GARLIC AND LEMON BUTTER BASTE

A butter baste makes the zucchini so amazingly full-flavored that you can even omit the cheese — although it's a delicious accent to the lemony zing.

8 medium zucchini (about 2 1/2 pounds), trimmed, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 tablespoon frozen unsweetened lemon juice concentrate or 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Preheat barbecue (medium heat). Score cut side of zucchini halves diagonally about 1/4 inch deep at 1-inch intervals. Melt butter with lemon juice concentrate, lemon-pepper seasoning, garlic powder, oregano, and curry powder in heavy small saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Brush seasoned butter on cut side of zucchini. Place zucchini on grill and cook until charred on all sides and just beginning to soften, about 12 minutes. If desired, arrange zucchini on grill, cut side up, and sprinkle with cheese; close lid of barbecue and cook until cheese just softens, about 1 minute. Transfer zucchini to platter.

staramama
09-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I tried the zucchini pizza idea last night, and just want to say thanks for a delicious pizza combination. I, umm, hid the sauteed zucchini and mushroom layer under the cheese...my son has never eaten so much zucchini in his young life.

kijip
09-25-2006, 04:37 AM
Glad it was a hit. My son seriously thinks it is white pepperoni. Whatever. He is eating a vegetable, he can call it whatever he wants, LOL.

Another way I like zucchini is cut at an angle, soaked in raspberry balsamic vinegar and grilled up. Yummy, especially with other grilled veggies.