PDA

View Full Version : Need a "cool treat" recipe

nfowife
08-10-2006, 09:59 PM
My mom's club is having a potluck playgroup next week and the theme is "cool treats". Anyone have any ideas? I'd prefer something that isn't frozen, because it's over 100 degrees here every day and I have to drive to the mom's house. Easy and not too many strange ingredients would be good, too, though it doesn't have to be overly kid-friendly (the food is mostly for the moms while the kids play). Thanks for any ideas!

Jenn98
08-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Fruit kabobs. They are my all time fav thing to have at showers and gatherings. I get honeydew, cantaloup (sp?), watermelon, grapes and strawberries. Cut the fruit in cubes, skewer them randomly on wood kabob sticks and serve. Fun to make and impressive display. And people always comment on them - much better than a bowl of mushy fruit salad. I have never done it, but I have been to picnics where after skewering the fruit the kabob is stuck in a whole pineapple - looks like a giant friut porcupine.

Jen841
08-15-2006, 07:52 PM
So easy and SO good!

Square dish
tub of cool whip
bowl of milk
bag of oreos

Dip/soak each cookie and put in a single layer in the pan
Once you have a full layer cover with cool whip
Repeat
Repeat

Top should be cool whip

The kids could even help!

firstbaby
08-20-2006, 07:51 PM
How about a fruit tart. Yummy and not that hard to make :)

nfowife
08-20-2006, 10:36 PM
I ended up doing a an easy fruit dip I already had made before (but forgot about, but MIL reminded me of it) and serving it with strawberries. It was a hit, actually!

Cream cheese fruit dip:
-1 block cream cheese, softened
-1 jar marshmallow fluff
-1 tbsp almond extract or 1/4 cup amaretto (I prefer the amaretto, if you have it on hand)

Mix with a mixer until blended and smooth. Serve with strawberries, yummy!

Jenn, I will definitely be trying that oreo thing! It sounds delish!

Lovingliv
08-21-2006, 09:51 AM
0h, how about gazpacho....yum. One of my preggo cravings!
I don't have a recipe for it.....let me know if you get one!