PDA

View Full Version : BANANA recipes!

jgriffin
08-15-2006, 10:42 PM
E is somewhat hit-and-miss when it comes to the number of bananas he eats each week. So recently I've been left with extra bananas at the end of the week. Unfortunately, I currently have 3 loaves of banana bread and half a dozen banana muffins in the freezer, so I want to try something new. Please share your favorite banana recipes!

I'll start with my banana bread recipe, which I made as muffins for E's 1st birthday.

Banana Bread

1 egg
3 tablespoons oil
1 cup sugar
4 bananas, mashed (3 will work, too)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup nuts, optional
1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional

I do this in my Kitchenaid, so you might have to play around with the order of the first few ingredients. I mash the bananas in the mixer, then add the egg, sugar, and oil and mix well. In a separate bowl I mix the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, then add to the banana mixture. If I'm going to add chips or nuts (I didn't for E), they go in last.

Makes 1 9x5 loaf (bake at 350°F for ~60 minutes) or
makes ~24 muffins (bake at 375°F for ~25 minutes)

Jen

mskitty
08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
The other option is to make smoothies with them. Throw a banana, some frozen berries, and a little juice or milk in the blender for a quick breakfast.

I tend to do banana bread, muffins and smoothies.

MsKitty

brittone2
08-23-2006, 01:38 PM
DS leaves "wounded soldiers" (half eaten bananas ;) ) around here all of the time. I cut the eaten end off, and toss into a freezer container that I regularly fill with extra bananas or half eaten ones.

I take out the frozen ones, and with a sharp knife, cut into little bite sized pieces.

Using a food processor, with the sharp metal blade in, I toss in the frozen banana pieces, some vanilla extract, a little honey (can be adjusted to your taste, but I find we don't need much at all), a dash of salt, and pulse this a bit. Add a tiny bit of milk (can also use soy or rice, etc. if there are dairy allergies), pulse again. It will get smooth and sort of gel up. You don't want to overprocess.

For variety, sometimes we scoop out some for Logan and then add peanut butter to ours, or some nuts to ours, or add a bit of unsweetened organic cocoa powder.

There are some "recipes" for doing this online, but I'm just doing it from memory. Once you perfect it, it really tastes like some sort of ice cream imo, and has decent food value, kwim?

If it is too soft, you can place it in a bowl in the freezer for a bit.

Logan just had this today for breakfast LOL. He had it with a waffle and made a sandwich out of it :)

alleyoop
08-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I have been fiddling with this recipe for a bit. It is SUPER EASY. Just a fork and one bowl.

Banana Coconut Muffins
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cube unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 c sweetened flaked coconut
-
1 1/4c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
-Preheat oven to 375, line or grease 8 muffin cups.
-Whisk together first 5 ingredients and 1/2 cup coconut in med bowl till combined well. Measure remaining ingredients into bowl (on top of banana mixture) and blend until flour is just moistened.
-Divide batter into muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 25 minutes.

Variations:
-Omit coconut and add 1 tbl additional flour for coconut-free muffins.
-For a healthier coconut-free muffin, I double the recipe but use 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour and throw in 1/3 cup chopped nuts with the flour.

mudder17
09-19-2006, 09:42 AM
I just made this strawberry banana bread that is easy and really tasty. I ran out of fresh strawberries so just used thawed frozen ones that I nuked in the microwave a bit (made it easier to mash, actually). I got the recipe from Allrecipes (one of my favorite recipe websites):

Strawberry Banana Bread

INGREDIENTS:
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups strawberries, mashed
1 cup mashed bananas
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9x5 inch pans.

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.

In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, strawberries, bananas, orange peel, and oil. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add flour mixture, and stir just until moistened. Stir in walnuts.

Bake for 1 hour, or until loaves test done. Remove to wire rack to cool.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 30 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah