PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal Cookie Recipes?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Anyone have a really good oatmeal cookie recipe? I am tired of just making the one off the Quaker Oats box.

TIA!

jgriffin
08-17-2006, 11:14 PM
When I was first reading your post, I thought to myself, "Hey, I've got a great recipe, the one off the...oh...nevermind." lol It's the only one I've ever made, and I still love it. But, I substitute chocolate chips for the raisins (I don't like raisins in my cookies usually) and don't use cinnamon. World of difference! I also sometimes make them into bars (I think the directions are with the recipe), which gives them a somewhat different consistancy.

I looked through my recipe collection, and this was filed in the "To Try" category. It's from King Arthur Flour, and I've had good luck with their recipes before. Although looking at the ingredients I can see why I haven't made them yet...it calls for butter *and* vegetable oil *and* shortening! Yowzers!

CHEWY OATMEAL COOKIES

NOTES from KAF : Remember the cookies your Mom used to make (if you had a '60s mom) that the dough came in a refrigerated plastic-wrap tube and you simply peeled off the plastic, sliced the dough, put the slices on a cookie sheet and baked them? No muss; no fuss. Instant cookies! We used to think those cookies were pretty neat, and tasty, too; not for us the tastes of the highly developed palate, that pronounce anything frozen or additive-treated unacceptable. Bring on the guar gum! Love those cookies!

The following cookies are evocative, in flavor and texture, of those long-ago slice-and-bake treats. Strangely pallid-looking-they certainly won't win any beauty contest-if you wrap them well, they'll remain soft and chewy until they're eaten up (which won't take long, if our experience here is any indication).

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour -- (9 1/2 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup vegetable shortening -- (3 1/4 ounces)
4 tablespoons butter -- (1/2 stick, 2 ounces)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil -- (7/8 ounce)
2 1/4 cups brown sugar -- (18 ounces) packed
2 large eggs
1/2 cup yogurt -- (4 ounces) plain or vanilla, regular, low-fat or nonfat
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups thick oat flakes (old-fashioned rolled oats)
1 1/2 cups raisins or currants -- (9 ounces)

Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, butter, oil and brown sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the yogurt and vanilla.

Stir in the oats and raisins, then add the flour mixture, in three additions, beating well after each addition.

Drop the batter from a tablespoon-size cookie scoop (or from a tablespoon) onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake the cookies in a preheated 350°F oven for 14 minutes. They'll still be light tan; don't let them brown, or they'll be crisp instead of chewy. Let them cool on the parchment till lukewarm, then carefully transfer them to a wire rack; they'll be delicate when warm, then chewy as they cool. Store the cookies in a tightly closed container or plastic bag. Yield: about 65 3-inch cookies.

mandye
08-18-2006, 12:47 PM
This one is a "spicy" oatmeal cookie. To me it is reminiscent of icebox cookies.

2 c. brown sugar
1 c. shortening
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
2 c. quick rolled oats
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 c. flour
1 c. raisins
1/2 c. nuts

Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs and milk; mix well. Add rolled oats. Sift together dry ingredients and mix in until smooth. Stir in raisins and nuts. Drop on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 3-4 dozen.

I'm not particularly fond of raisins or nut in my cookies so I leave them out.

Also, to my "regular" oatmeal cookie recipe I add butterscotch chips. They are so yummy.

Mandy