PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a caeser dressing recipe?

kboyle
08-25-2006, 02:03 PM
i'm looking for a kinda creamy caesar dressing recipe, nothing TOO thick and creamy. i tried one from allrecipes.com that got TONS of great vote, but i thought it was awful!! and let me tell ya, cutting up anchovies was DISGUSTING...just because of that i may stick to just getting caesar at resturants, but i want to give it another shot.

buddyleebaby
08-25-2006, 10:44 PM
I just make regular ceasar dressing (not creamy).
I just wanted to suggest that maybe you could substitute anchovy paste for anchovies? It would save you the cutting, at least.

wencit
08-26-2006, 12:10 AM
This recipe uses anchovies, but you don't have to cut them up. The food processor does all the work for you. I also slightly reduce the amount of garlic (by 1 clove), although it depends on your personal taste, as well as how big your individual cloves are. Anyways, every time I make this recipe, I get lots of raves.

3 garlic cloves
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup olive oil
4 canned rolled anchovy fillets with capers, drained
2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 large head romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces

Mince 3 garlic cloves in food processor. Add mayonnaise, anchovies with capers, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard and process to blend. Slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Place lettuce in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Add remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and toss gently to blend. Divide salad among 4 plates and serve.

kboyle
08-28-2006, 09:42 AM
maybe it's because i've had a L-O-N-G weekend, but what do you mean by "4 canned rolled anchovy fillets?" 4 filets? not 4 CANS right? whoa, that would be ALOT of anchovy!! and "rolled"? my mind is blanking...

and, how long can homemade caeser dressing last in the fridge? i probably wouldn't keep it for over a week, but a day or two...is that ok?

i'll definately try this one next time i go to the grocery store...i don't think my nearest one has anchovies w/capers though, at least i didn't see it...maybe the other "ritzier" grocery store in town will have that!

wencit
08-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Oh no, definitely not 4 whole cans! Yuck, that would be way too much anchovy!

I buy little cans of anchovy filets -- each anchovy is rolled up and has a small caper in the middle. One filet is about the size of a Cheerio. I've seen them at my regular grocery store, in the same section where they sell canned meats and fish (such as tuna or Spam).

I would say the dressing lasts up to a week. A day or two is definitely fine since it doesn't have raw egg yolk in it.

Hope you enjoy it!

Corie
09-03-2006, 09:57 PM
This may be a dumb question but do all Caesar dressing
recipes call for anchovies??

kboyle
09-04-2006, 09:05 AM
thanks!!

ok, sounds like a plan, i'll give it a try soon! :)